Drudge Report....

jonlad1

Just hoping that Craig can give us tonight's Drudge Report ;)

Any news on the moulds that were "sort of" green lighted?

Has Mweston got any updated piccys he can share with the Pandora world?

Sorry to be an update whore, I just have a lust for Pandora info... :lol:

I think I heard that the cases will ship on Thursday and be reieved on Saturday by Mweston.
Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Yea. I think I heard something similar a couple of weeks back...

I don't have a lot of time tonight as I'm working on the appstore.

The case 'stuff' is scheduled for next week, this week is still about boards, firmware, testing.

Fair enough, I know its pretty late over there.

Cheers for letting us know

I smell a "Pandora appstore" thread coming....oh wait...that already happened a while back.

It's almost essential to have a app presence with a platform nowadays.

craigix said:
I don't have a lot of time tonight as I'm working on the appstore.

The case 'stuff' is scheduled for next week, this week is still about boards, firmware, testing.

Hey, are you aware of GOG? I like what they're trying to do - DRM free games. Ever talk to them? A web based app store like that would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The app store should not be open source though, it would make the games easier to crack and that will bounce of developers and conpanys.

Christmas is coming soon...can we still make it? Only 2 weeks to go.

It would be wonderful to have an App store for Pandora developers, count me in as a definite participant .. but in the meantime, we're still going to have an old-school repository, right? I mean, appstores are one thing - but having a very nice repository to drop things into is just as valid an effort, and from there the step towards 'store'-like features isn't far away ..

I hope OP is going to have an 'official' repo that syncs with the various file archives, anyway .. I imagine it would be very, very nice to be able to manage installed software through a proper, official repo.

borgqueenx said:
The app store should not be open source though, it would make the games easier to crack and that will bounce of developers and conpanys.

How%20to%20ROFL.png

fiori_musicali said:
borgqueenx said:

How%20to%20ROFL.png

+1.

Just when you think it's safe to enter the forums, someone makes a gaffe like that. And you just know it has to be either Paradox ("My pandora will have holes where the extra LEDs go") or Borg-queenie.

D.

Dunny said:
fiori_musicali said:
borgqueenx said:

How%20to%20ROFL.png

+1.

Just when you think it's safe to enter the forums, someone makes a gaffe like that. And you just know it has to be either Paradox ("My pandora will have holes where the extra LEDs go") or Borg-queenie.

D.
Well, that isn't that that absurd to state. The App Store it self could just be a repository but won't allow you to download an app until payment is recieved, so the only thing that needs to be protected is the payment part. Basing it off of open standards would also allow it to be run on any platform where the apps would be compatible, i.e. Touch Book, anything that runs Ångström, Archos tablets, maybe even the Wiz. So basically if it's based off of open standards anyone that puts their apps in Craigs app store could sell not only to Pandora users but anywhere else that is compatible with the hardware/software.

Edit: wait and see what Ubuntu does in 4 months and copy them. For now though do whatever works.

Yep im a newbie and i dont expect a ban for it. So suck it up.
The app store of apple has DRM, meaning prevention from being cracked. I think when the app store would be open source, it would be even easier to crack all the apps and games. And it is easy enough already.

Sorry for having little technical knowledge, and that i cant always find the answers im looking for.

borgqueenx said:
Yep im a newbie and i dont expect a ban for it. So suck it up.
The app store of apple has DRM, meaning prevention from being cracked. I think when the app store would be open source, it would be even easier to crack all the apps and games. And it is easy enough already.

Sorry for having little technical knowledge, and that i cant always find the answers im looking for.
The app store is closed because apple only wants it's app store to run on their hardware. DRM has nothing to do with the app store being based on open standards and able to run on multiple platforms. The game itself can have DRM and all the person who runs the app store needs to worry about is payment, they would require apps to have DRM.

Stolen apps aren't stolen through the App Store, they are stolen off of the hardware that it was purchased through legally and then spread illegally through whatever means. The app store it self doesn't need to be closed source. DRM should be up to the programmers/developers of the apps.

second exodous said:
The app store is closed because apple only wants it's app store to run on their hardware. DRM has nothing to do with the app store being based on open standards and able to run on multiple platforms. The game itself can have DRM and all the person who runs the app store needs to worry about is payment, they would require apps to have DRM.

Stolen apps aren't stolen through the App Store, they are stolen off of the hardware that it was purchased through legally and then spread illegally through whatever means. The app store it self doesn't need to be closed source. DRM should be up to the programmers/developers of the apps.
To add, developers should (and will) be free to put DRM into their applications if they want, but it should not be enforced nor should it be assisted by Open Pandora. There are enough ways to implement DRM should a company want to that Open Pandora can basically avoid the whole sticky mess. There's no reason a DRM and non-DRM application can't live happily side by side in the same repository.

Back