Dead Pixels / Silkscreening Sadness

Yes, all LCDs are susceptible to dead pixels, but considering the resolution, they're usually not noticeable, and if the LCD manufacturer is decent, they'll kick out the bad screens in Quality Control.
There's actually a stuck red pixel on my DS' upper screen, but once you're playing, you can't see it unless you really look.

I haven't seen any on my laptop because it's a freaking huge 1920 by 1200.. Even at Pandora's 800 by 480, a single dead pixel will be very small, it shouldn't be a big deal if one or two are messed up, but hopefully they won't be.

lulzfish said:
Yes, all LCDs are susceptible to dead pixels, but considering the resolution, they're usually not noticeable, and if the LCD manufacturer is decent, they'll kick out the bad screens in Quality Control.
There's actually a stuck red pixel on my DS' upper screen, but once you're playing, you can't see it unless you really look.

I haven't seen any on my laptop because it's a freaking huge 1920 by 1200.. Even at Pandora's 800 by 480, a single dead pixel will be very small, it shouldn't be a big deal if one or two are messed up, but hopefully they won't be.
I've actually seen at least 1 dead pixel on every DS I've played. I'm guessing they got cheap screens?

You're right though, the PPI of the Pandy screen is so high it probably won't be too big of a deal, but I bet there won't be any dead pixels on most.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are currently 4 DS lites and a DSi in my house, none of which have dead pixels.
To be fair, one was dropped in the toilet, so it doesn't even turn on...

lulzfish said:
if the LCD manufacturer is decent, they'll kick out the bad screens in Quality Control.

They don't usually though, standard practice is they decide on an 'acceptable' number and location of dead pixels. The majority let screens pass that have the minimum or better detected, or none in the center region where they'd become seriously annoying.

I once had to slap a lawsuit on Sony over a high end projector because of a dead pixel in the center region. Really annoyed me.

SONY said:
I'm pretty sure you and everyone else, after Christmas will be getting the silkscreen on it.

As for the black screws instead of the silver ones...Hmmm...that's not such a bad idea.
Consider it all good if they remain silver, because you can always do a careful touch up job with some (friendly) black paint. B)

1. Do you have any actual reason to think the first 1000 won't have silk screening on them? Please provide a reference, if so.

2. Do you have any reason other than preliminary photos of test units that don't fully represent the final product, to think the screws won't be black? If you have more than assumptions, please provide a reference, if so.

Otherwise, please don't post assumptions as fact.

Edit: so that someone doesn't deny assumption after the fact: "I'm pretty sure you and everyone else, after Christmas will be getting the silkscreen on it." is the assumption that the ones before christmas won't be getting it. It cannot be denied this was the intent of the post, unless someone wants to lie to themselves about it and backtrack. It was also the intent of the poster that it was factual the screws of the production model would be silver. These assumptions cannot be denied to have been made.

atomicthumbs said:
I want my screws made of meteoric iron
Can I get mine in kryptonite? Gotta keep Superman from stealing my Pandora :ph34r:

BackAssward said:
Otherwise, please don't post assumptions as fact.
He didn't do.
Facts are when there is MWeston, craigix, EvilDragon on the left and a sentence without subjunctive in the middle.

WizardStan said:
atomicthumbs said:
I want my screws made of meteoric iron
Can I get mine in kryptonite? Gotta keep Superman from stealing my Pandora :ph34r:
Haha! Lol..

Well, maybe I'm stupid but can anybody please tell me what a silkscreen is?

WizardStan said:
There are currently 4 DS lites and a DSi in my house, none of which have dead pixels.
To be fair, one was dropped in the toilet, so it doesn't even turn on...

Ahahahahaha... my mum used to tell me (true story) that "there are two places you should never use a cell phone; while driving, and in the toilet"... I guess it also applies to handheld gaming consoles...

SONY said:
If they 'somehow' come off (wear and tear), then it might be relevant, right? That is, unless you mash up/make some covers yourself.
Never been an issue for the DS.

mali said:
Silkscreening is the writing on the case(port/LED description, etc.)
Thanks.. Why is that so important?

paldepind said:
mali said:
Silkscreening is the writing on the case(port/LED description, etc.)
Because some people want to sacrifice it to make sure the first batch ships a little better earlier, and some people think it's a necessity (In case somebody doesn't know what a USB port looks like, I guess)

Sadly, I'm in the second batch, so I don't get to bitch about whether or not it should be silkscreened.. OP will probably do it anyway since the renders sort of promised that they would have silkscreening. There was a lot of whining about different logos and stupid bullshit, and craigix said "Fine how about no silkscreens how the fuck do you like that you wankers" but I don't know if he was serious.

paldepind said:
It tells you what each LED means, the numbering of the SD slots etc. There have been debates about the usefullness, but it's necessary to make the Pandora complete, if you ask me. People tried to dry cats in a microwave oven, so...

S-r-ex said:
I actually like those visible screws, gives the Pandora a somewhat "industrial" look.
I was about to post something very similar. In any case, agreed. :D

As handy as silk screening is, for description of ports, LEDs and such, it doesn't take long for you to learn what they all do, see the Das Keyboard for an example.

Not that I'm that early in the preorders (still on first day, but more around 7PM), so I'll probably get a normal fully finished Pandora, but I like the ultra stealth black appeal of having one that's not silk screened. Also, the oily finish it currently has makes it look like a tyre that has had a fair coat of tyre shine applied, again - doesn't look too bad to me. (I'm easy to please).

And on the subject of dead pixels, I have an occasional stuck pixel appear on one of my monitors, but a quick bit of massaging makes it go away, with any luck anyone with stuck pixels will be able to do the same. (although the stuck pixel on my PSP won't shift for love nor money).

Not having silk screening isn't the end of the world, if it's a problem and going to delay the Pandora any more I say nix it, for those that think it's vital can make sure they are in the last 1000 of the 4000 or in the second batch.

The Buccaneer said:
As handy as silk screening is, for description of ports, LEDs and such, it doesn't take long for you to learn what they all do, see the Das Keyboard for an example.
Indeed, look at the Das Keyboard! It's LEDs are labeled. We should emulate this behavior! Silk screening is important!

The Buccaneer said:
although the stuck pixel on my PSP won't shift for love nor money
Have you tried removing the plastic cover that lies over the LCD, you have to actually be in contact with the exposed LCD to have any effect, and the PSP hides its screen under a piece of plastic.

Back