Dead Pixel Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoko

Hi!

I've been reading those forums for a while, and I'm quite excited by the Open Pandora project! I'm almost ready to place a preorder at the end of the month, but I'm still concerned by a specific issue: possible dead pixels on the pandora screen.

Yeah, I'm a maniac, I just can't stand dead pixels in the middle of my screen, my eyes always focus on them. :blink: I even ordered 2 PSPs just to be sure one of them would be dead pixel free, and send back the other...

I know the Pandora will be available in a small quantity, but I wanted to know what would be the actual policy for dead pixels. Would they be considered as a product flaw, like the recent "0 dead pixel" policy adopted by Samsung and Viewsonic?

Thank you for your reply, and this great project! :)

Michoko said:
I even ordered 2 PSPs just to be sure one of them would be dead pixel free, and send back the other...
That doesn't guarantee anything, I have two PSPs and they both have dead pixels <_<

It'd be good if I could just exchange my Pandora for a new one for little to no reason at all, just so I can be picky about things like this :D

I can dream :rolleyes:

If all else fails flash colors. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mechanizeddeath said:
You could always order the Pandora CRT Edition. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, are dead pixels even that common anymore? The last device I had that developed them was a 133MHz laptop.
The laptop and monitor I just bought a couple of months ago. (From different stores) each had one dead pixel in them.

-God Ginrai

mechanizeddeath said:
You could always order the Pandora CRT Edition. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, are dead pixels even that common anymore? The last device I had that developed them was a 133MHz laptop.
Depends on the goods you purchase, but statistically anything with 130,560 pixels (or triple that if you want to include sub-pixels) that is built down to a price like Sony products will have some failure units, and it looks like the PSP's were huge with that. Since the screen is so crap even without failed pixels I didn't think it made a big difference.

If you are talking about the Pandora, it has 1.15 Million individual sub-pixels, and the associated "wiring" to them, a dead or stuck pixel is bound to happen.

On the plus side Craig is pretty good about service, the pixels are so tiny that it would be tough to notice in most situations, (so it could be re-sold as "bad pixel" to somebody who didn't care, or used for parts.)

Also the screen is supposed to be pretty high quality, so if you buy A grade you are much more likely to get a good one (Sony was likely buying C grade screens for the PSP because statistically it would save them money even if you add the money to replace units that people complained about, people are lazy for the most part.)

And even if it's out of warranty, as I understand it's a common LCD panel. Finding a replacement and installing it yourself should not prove to be too difficult.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. My knowledge of LCD systems is pretty limited, but from what I've seen in return rates on PSPs (I'm a retail slave) it would seem to support your statements.

I guess I've just been lucky. :) I have 6 laptops, 2 desktop LCDs, and about a dozen small screened devices such as my GP2X, and not a single dead pixel except in that old relic from 13 years ago. I do have a 19" widescreen that had a pixel out, but it went away after I poked it a few times out of curiosity. Never troubled me again and it's been about 3 years. I hope that my LCD luck trend continues, but on the other hand I always seem to end up with processors that can barely overclock, if they can at all. :unsure:

I have yet to get a dead pixel, through 3 monitors, 1 LCD TV, two car stereos with LCDs and countless handhelds, so it can't be that common.

I've had lit pixels on laptops and such, and they're so small that they're virtually unnoticeable. I don't have any dead pixels on my psp, but I do have a large bit of dust in there which aggravates me.

I got a dead pixel on a tft monitor before, but only because I punched it because my program didn't work.

The pixel on the Pandora will be so small that even if you do have one, you'll hardly notice it.

I've not seen any dead pixels on the LCDs we have, but if you had them and they were bad (ie you could notice them) we would replace it.

Just for statistics: laptop (Acer), two cameras (Pentax and Olympus), screen (Sony), Gp2x, PocketPC (HP), several mobile phones (Nokia and Motorola). Noticeable dead pixels only in the screen and Pentax camera, both of them have more that three years old.

I had between 4 and 6 (they changed, believe it or not) on a 3.5" screen for an Archos AV420. I sent that back.

I later bought an Archos 504 PMP - and had a dead pixel that I was able to revive by pressing with a stylus. Months later it got stuck again, but I revived it once more.

Just recently I got a Sansa Fuze mp3 player that came badly packaged (damaged) - and it had a couple dead pixels.

So I'm glad to hear that if they're obvious - my Pandora could be replaced. That'll make me purchase with more assurance. :)

PolloLoco said:
I had between 4 and 6 (they changed, believe it or not) on a 3.5" screen for an Archos AV420. I sent that back.

I later bought an Archos 504 PMP - and had a dead pixel that I was able to revive by pressing with a stylus. Months later it got stuck again, but I revived it once more.

Just recently I got a Sansa Fuze mp3 player that came badly packaged (damaged) - and it had a couple dead pixels.

So I'm glad to hear that if they're obvious - my Pandora could be replaced. That'll make me purchase with more assurance. :)

same here, this and warrenty were my 2 main worries.

I did some searching for the warrenty, and i am fairly happy with it. Now my other worry is gone too ^^

I only had a stuck pixel in my (acer) laptop bought in year 2003. I have had gp2x f100 & f200, ds and ds lite, psp and psp slim, compaq notebook, ibook g3, fuji camera, sony camera, qtek 9000, 22" cheap acer flat panel, 32" samsung tv and none of them has dead or stuck pixels.

I think that pandora should be okay

Craig has provided a concise answer. I see no need for continuing the cavalcade of anecdotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back