When The Pandora Cums

Username

Fuckass
I just wanted to say to all the people who want silkscreening skipped for the Pandora to be released faster that this isn't a good idea at all. Releasing it without silkscreen would be like releasing a half finished Pandora. Too many other consoles skip important steps and come way too early. Even if it comes late it's still better than coming early.

The Pandora Cums?!
Wow, it never fails to suprise me.
So which corner or hole(s) is its release point?
:p

wermy said:
edgex004 said:
Really? Wow.

Agreed. <_<
Look, this is a serious issue that requires serious attention. Consoles coming early can lead to mass confusion and disappointment among the customers, and the Pandora team could be in a very sticky situation. Furthermore I ask that if you have nothing valuable to add to the conversation then please don't speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then, prepare to be disappointed. These cases will not have a silkscreen as that would push delivery out into April and even then Craig worried they would screw it up and stiff us with the cases. The problem is the mold company outsources the work and so they all have to be packaged up carefully, sent to this other company, printed, repackaged carefully and sent back to the mold company to be shipped to Craig with everything else. It could cause as much as another month of delays with the way we should trust them.

I built a unit using a silk screened case and I really liked it but the truth is, 10 minutes after using it, the silkscreen is forgotten and you don't even notice it anymore. The way you normally hold it in the 170 degree open position means you can't see any of it anyway. The LEDs are also color coded so maybe that helps too. The sticker under the battery with serial number and model number also has all the voltage and current details for the unit so in a way, not having that on the back is covered. I don't know if any of this is comforting but it's an unfortunate result of a product that can't afford more delays.

That's fine with me (contrary to the impression I might have given in the recent silkscreening thread, I actually had no particular views either way - an "I'll get what I get" approach). Thanks very muchly for the news, Mike. :)

I love that this ridiculous thread got some really great information from the team members! It's unfortunate that it may encourage Crunchwrap, and he already seems to be doin' well without any encouragement.

The thing that will make you feel special is having it before the second batchers. They've made a desision for the sake of getting the device out and likely also to avoid a dip in overall quality because of the outsourcing required.

MWeston said:
The LEDs are also color coded so maybe that helps too.
Please, please, please tell me the Bluetooth LED is blue. I can't in good conscience use a device with a red or green or orange Bluetooth LED. :(
Of course, I'm not worried about not having silkscreening, as I've said previously. Just make sure that BT LED is BLUE!

(JOKE) >_>

rabidpoobear said:
I love that this ridiculous thread got some really great information from the team members! It's unfortunate that it may encourage Crunchwrap, and he already seems to be doin' well without any encouragement.
No, even I realized after I posted this that it should never have been typed up in the first place.

Its a shame after all these delays because you wanted to get it right, its still not right...

Just roll on from here guys, get it out there and into peoples hands with no hardware defects and people will be happy.

So us "First Batchers" aren't getting anything "special" anymore apart from maybe getting the Pandora "earlier"? I must say I'm disappointed and would have preferred to wait another 6-8 weeks for the silkscreening since we're already delayed a quarter of a year from X'mas and making it a full third of a year delay doesn't seem to be a lot of difference.

Blackdora :ph34r:

maybe the silkscreen obsessed can buy a case from the second batch

WhiteBat said:
Blackdora :ph34r:

maybe the silkscreen obsessed can buy a case from the second batch

I would think the second batch would be the same since it would form part of the 10,000 cases done in one run, therefore most likely there would be no difference between first batchers and second batchers except when they get their pandoras.

Thinking about it further. Just do the silk screening damn it! Who gives a sh*t about another month's delay. Not doing it is just a flippin cop-out and pisses over all previous talk about getting it "perfect"!

I think that the lack of a silk screen is awesome in itself. It screams "I don't need any labels because I was über enough to know about this thing since before it began."
IMO, not having a silk screen > Special 1st batch silk screen.

Thinking about it further. Just do the silk screening damn it! Who gives a sh*t about another month's delay. Not doing it is just a flippin cop-out and pisses over all previous talk about getting it perfect!

After some of the posts the team has had to deal with about delays we're lucky they dont just dump everything in a box and send it to us with a hastily scribbled note that says "good luck". I wanted labeling as much as anyone else but at the same time I'm getting tired of hearing people complain about how long it's taking and I'm not even part of the team, imagine how they feel coupled with the risk of the silkscreening either not being done right (thus making them seem even more amateurish than some people claim) or the cases being damaged by the thrid part that teh factor apparently has to send the cases to for the silkscreen.

I said the same exact thing but it's not worth the risk. Let's just get on with it and hope the lights are easy to read.

MWeston said:
Well then, prepare to be disappointed. These cases will not have a silkscreen as that would push delivery out into April and even then Craig worried they would screw it up and stiff us with the cases. The problem is the mold company outsources the work and so they all have to be packaged up carefully, sent to this other company, printed, repackaged carefully and sent back to the mold company to be shipped to Craig with everything else. It could cause as much as another month of delays with the way we should trust them.

I built a unit using a silk screened case and I really liked it but the truth is, 10 minutes after using it, the silkscreen is forgotten and you don't even notice it anymore. The way you normally hold it in the 170 degree open position means you can't see any of it anyway. The LEDs are also color coded so maybe that helps too. The sticker under the battery with serial number and model number also has all the voltage and current details for the unit so in a way, not having that on the back is covered. I don't know if any of this is comforting but it's an unfortunate result of a product that can't afford more delays.
I was always for the silkscreen, as it appeared to add a high level of quality as far as I was concerned! But at this point, I think it looks really nice barebones as well! I would also have to agree with Craig in regards to the mould factory @#$%ing more things up, with the more things they have to do! We can always get differant colored cases, and silkscreened ones later down the line, but right now the team really needs to get this device into the market, and get some positive cash flow going.

I'm really looking forward to the icontrol pad also! Here is another device that can add some positive cash to the team, and considering how many iphones/touches are out in the market, it should sale rather well. If the Pandora is delayed several more months, that is going to push that device back as well. I would wager that every month these devices aren't out in the market, money is being lost. So right now, we all need to focus on the task at hand, which is worldwide distribution of the Pandora, and icontrol shortly there after!

At this point I completely agree that to have the mould factory add anymore to there workload could only end in disaster! So lets look on the bright side, and just be happy shipping may start before the end of the month, and we can just look forward to some after market cases to satisfy the different needs of the end user later down the line!

Chris

Back