Countdown To Production Unit Showcase 7 Day(S)

craigix said:
I can't really see why you would not get you Pandora this year unless your local postal service is quite poor.

The cases are the last step and it's only the start of November.
That's great news! I know you're not promising anything, but it'd be great to be holding my Pandora before next year. Even better if it's before christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Etinin said:
So the cases are the bottleneck again.
The cases are the last thing keeping the assembly lines idle (re: pandora), but AFAIK they are not a bottleneck in the sense of slowest part of the process.

He didn't say cases are the bottleneck again.
It's the start of the month, boards are due this month i.e. before dec.
Sample cases hopefully a week away
So in the end either could be bottleneck, or neither as could get both(mp case say) around same time.

Alex777 said:
Wait, they told you what your (approximate) position in the queue was?  Dang, and I just sent her an email for a legitimate reason (address change) and have so easily slipped in a query.

I just asked - not as early as I had thought, but I'm ~#181 :D

Pleng said:
MWeston said:
Unbelievable.

Not really. The amount of times devs have believed that 'nothing can go wrong now' is the only truly unbelievable thing, considering the amount of things that actually HAVE gone wrong!

Yup. The repetitive false optimism is a bit wearing IMHO.

@MWeston - thanks for being upfront with us and telling us what's going on, even if I did think the countdown thing was a bad idea :) (and I did).

The PCB's will be finished before the month ends right? Then these PCB's need to get shipped to Texas to have the IC's and stuff soldered on? Or the PCB's will be shipped and completed in Texas by the end of this month?

craigix said:
The PCBs are finished, the PCB population is due for completion at the end of Nov.
Confirmed: The PCBs are finished, the PCB population is due for completion at the end of Nov.
Wait... that can't be right. Nothing went wrong with the PCBs? I mean, there's still a chance for the population of said boards to be screwed up, but the boards themselves... nothing? What's the catch?
:p

There isn't anything to worry about there as these are the same people who make the Beagle, which has been in existence in one way or another for over a year.

Good news about the PCB :)
Especially if they can really be populated until the end of the month.

Once the case production finally starts we will some action I guess !

Also I hope the power supply, tv cable and carrying case will all be ready (if it's not already the case...)

so, more delays then, it won't be a november release like op.ca said and openpandorasales@gmail.com said?

Paradox said:
so, more delays then, it won't be a november release like op.ca said and openpandorasales@gmail.com said?
What are you actually talking about, the case? (hopefully only a week late)
If not then why won't it be a nov release? I'm pretty sure I explained why you may not get it this month, doesn't stop it being a nov release though.
I can't see what else has changed apart from having a better idea of the progress of the pcb's

Na-Noo said:
Paradox said:
What are you actually talking about, the case? (hopefully only a week late)
If not then why won't it be a nov release? I'm pretty sure I explained why you may not get it this month, doesn't stop it being a nov release though.
I can't see what else has changed apart from having a better idea of the progress of the pcb's

Yeah I don't quite get all the hub-bub. Sounds like it's only a couple days worth of delays. How does that all the sudden mean "ZOMG it's not coming out until 2010!!!"?

craigix said:
The PCBs are finished, the PCB population is due for completion at the end of Nov.

Are the PCBs finished as in "already in the plant that will populate them" or as in "two weeks ago the company that makes the PCBs told us it would take about two weeks and we did not hear from them since"?

Arr man, it's a shame about the small delay on the cases but I'm not bothered at all, the fact that we got to see a few pictures of the moulds made up for my initial disappointment. I know we can't rush these things and I'd rather have it perfect the first time than have it rushed and a bit ruff round the edges and lets face it we've waited long enough so a few more days isn't gonna matter. They should make a cartoon strip out of the production of the pandora. It would only mean anything to us lot but it would be funny non the less "Cue the guy who drew the guy on the bike with the solar panels etc", lol :rolleyes:

wermy said:
Yeah I don't quite get all the hub-bub. Sounds like it's only a couple days worth of delays. How does that all the sudden mean "ZOMG it's not coming out until 2010!!!"?
Probably because every time we're told that "We just realized we need to do [X] it'll only take a couple of days. A week max." the whole thing is held up for at least a month.

Also because since they won't have the parts ready until at "end of November" at the earliest, It's pretty clear we won't get the Pandora's until after the Christmas holidays. ie: 2010

At that assumes no other delays. Of course.

Paradox said:

Even without this case delay, if the boards aren't being assembled until the "end of November" it's hard to see how they could ship out the Pandoras in that same month.

VRAndy said:
Even without this case delay, if the boards aren't being assembled until the "end of November" it's hard to see how they could ship out the Pandoras in that same month.
They'll be finished at end of month. No one said they wouldn't be doing a sufficiently large batch every day to be assembled and shipped.

Back