[Status Update] Now It's Official

No, you're not.

Bosbeetle said:
The status on the official site also reflects that the moulds are done :)

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you're not.

Molds=done. When there's production samples on the way to Michael this has to be the case.

[representative of Chinese company looking for fortune]

Can I add 2 moulds to my order, thank you.

[/representative of Chinese company looking for fortune]

Or are moulds not considered spare parts ;)

Promised Planet said:
When I get my Pandora, I'm just going to play with the box.

Who's going to play with the pandora having that great box eh?

kuru said:
No, you're not.

Molds=done. When there's production samples on the way to Michael this has to be the case.

Not true. Production *samples* are to make sure the molds are fine as they are. They may need tweaking, hence the sample part. They are only done when the samples are confirmed to be good, or when tweaked then confirmed (rinse-repeat as necessary).

Edit: and voi-la:

MWeston said:
There was one part coming out of the molds messed up andthey were to fix it, make new parts and ship everything tonight. Now,two more molds need the extra treatment and will take a few moredays. I'm hoping they ship new parts this weekend but no more countdowns. Unbelievable.

BackAssward said:
kuru said:
No, you're not.

Not true. Production *samples* are to make sure the molds are fine as they are. They may need tweaking, hence the sample part. They are only done when the samples are confirmed to be good, or when tweaked then confirmed (rinse-repeat as necessary).

Edit: and voi-la:

MWeston said:
There was one part coming out of the molds messed up andthey were to fix it, make new parts and ship everything tonight. Now,two more molds need the extra treatment and will take a few moredays. I'm hoping they ship new parts this weekend but no more countdowns. Unbelievable.
The thing that came as a surprise is that they haven't even tested them, that producing the samples was the test.
Seems quite some ppl including me assumed they were past tweaking, as MWeston had told us some time before iirc.

The problem Kuru isn't that the company didn't test them, but that they don't really know what the product is (as said by MWeston before, I think in the post about matte finish, and the language barrier). So the company can only confirm to a point that the samples are what the OpenPandora team want. It might fit the board perfectly, but the speaker holes were wrong, or a gap here or there that the production company thought was trivial.

Really, we knew these were the first samples from the molds that MWeston was getting. Did anyone really think they'd ok a mass production before OP themselves confirmed everything was good? Did anyone actually think it would be a good idea for the Chinese company who has no idea what the product is, to give the thumbs up to themselves without some oversight? Would you order several thousand cases without confirming they were perfect, yourself?

Hence sample, before production. I'm surprised anyone is surprised by this.

Edit: and yes, it was confirmed the design of the case was past tweaking. But come on, if you assumed the molds were 100% sure to be past tweaking before they got the samples to confirm. Again, I hope you truly didn't want the Chinese Manufacturer to say the molds were ok and past tweaking without MWestion to confirm first.

I differ here, to me it sounds like the part came out and the Chinese saw, that it was messed up. They didn't need to send that particular part to MWeston for scrutinizing.

Assumption: Then maybe one of their techs noticed that that very problem would consider other molds, too, due to similarities. So they wouldn't try to produce those samples in the first place.

edited for bad English

kuru said:
I differ here, to me it sounds like the part came out and the Chinese saw, that it was messed up. They didn't need to send that particular part to MWeston for scrutinizing.

Assumption: Then maybe one of their techs noticed that that very problem would consider other molds, too, hence similarities. So they wouldn't try to produce those samples in the first place.

The point is, they are not qualified to make that descision, it is up to the customer. I seriously doubt they saw an issue and didn't correct it. It sounds more like they didn't see a problem. Hence MWeston needing to check them out himself. Hence 'sample'. E.g. "We think this is what you wanted, looks good to us, can you confirm?", "no, this part isn't quite right, you need to tweak". "Very good, we'll get right on that."

I guess you've never dealt with producing a product for a customer. They always want or need something tweaked. The first product supplied is never 100% what the customer wanted.

Edit: slight rewording.

well It can be that a part comes mangled from the mould. They know how it should look from the prototypes and images. So if it didnt come out right (or it broke or something) it is something chinese can asses. There chinese not retarded.

BackAssward said:
kuru said:

Assumption: Then maybe one of their techs noticed that that very problem would consider other molds, too, hence similarities. So they wouldn't try to produce those samples in the first place.

The point is, they are not qualified to make that descision, it is up to the customer too. I seriously doubt they saw a flaw and didn't correct it. It sounds more like they didn't see the flaw that was there. Hence MWeston needing to check them out himself. Hence 'sample'. E.g. "We think this is what you wanted, looks good to us, can you confirm?", "no, this part isn't quite right, you need to tweak". "Very good, we'll get right on that."

I guess you've never dealt with producing a product for a customer. They always want or need something tweaked. The first product supplied is never 100% what the customer wanted.
I don't quite get your point I think. Do you assume MWeston physically held the piece in his hands and then told them "It's no good, tweak it!"?
I guess you failed to understand my assumption. I am talking about CHINA:"Whoah, this part is really messed up, we did sth completely wrong. Let's tell MWeston we fail and need more time."
Like in utterly obvious mess-up. Those guys aren't stupid. I bet they can tell if some part comes out broken, i.e. not the way their molds were designed to make it.

/edit: bosbeetle understands me.

kuru said:
I guess you failed to understand my assumption. I am talking about CHINA:"Whoah, this part is really messed up, we did sth completely wrong. Let's tell MWeston we fail and need more time."
Like in utterly obvious mess-up. Those guys aren't stupid. I bet they can tell if some part comes out broken, i.e. not the way their molds were designed to make it.

No, I fully get your assumption, and as assumptions go, it is wrong. MWeston received samples, in his hand, to confirm things were right. Hence 'sample'. It wasn't mangled and shipped as if someone melted it in their microwave, it was as the company thought it should be. The fact you use the word assumption, should make you face-palm yourself already. E.g. the part wasn't broken as far as they could see, hence MWeston, the customer needing to confirm himself.

I guess you overlooked the part about the first product never being 100%. I am sorry you never worked in production, so this point might not hit home with you, but please stop assuming.

BackAssward said:
kuru said:

No, I fully get your assumption, and as assumptions go, it is wrong. MWeston received samples, in his hand, to confirm things were right. Hence 'sample'. It wasn't mangled and shipped as if someone melted it in their microwave, it was as the company thought it should be. The fact you use the word assumption, should make you face-palm yourself already. E.g. the part wasn't broken as far as they could see, hence MWeston, the customer needing to confirm himself.

I guess you overlooked the part about the first product never being 100%. I am sorry you never worked in production, so this point might not hit home with you, but please stop assuming.
I assume as much as I want, sorry mate. Just quote me where it says that MWeston held it in his hands. As long as you don't you're just assuming, too.

/edit: And also, please stop assuming I know nothing about customization in any context. Besides that common sense is enough to get what you suppose.

OK, Facts: It has been posted that they are a very professional company. It has been posted that they helped tweak the design of the case, as they have done many productions. It has been posted that they have boards to check the fit of the case. It has been posted that there is a language barrier, so a DS was used as a reference for the plastic.

You never answered my production comments and show no knowledge of such things, so a safe bet on that one.

As a very professional company, with a board to test the fit with, a company that helped tweak the original design, a company that has produced many products (including the Pandora AV cables, with great design and craftsmanship)... it is logic, not assumption that they sent what they thought was what the customer wanted. OP is not their first customer, the company is not a bunch not hacks, they have done this sort of thing before, they just don't know the product (also confirmed in these forums). You make unreasonable claims and back them up with nothing, yet won't stop.

So, rebuttal? Where exactly did anyone see a post about a mangled piece of plastic? Where are you pulling that info but your ass? I have info to back up my claims, you have supposition.

BackAssward said:
So, rebuttal? Where exactly did anyone see a post about a mangled piece of plastic? Where are you pulling that info but your ass? I have info to back up my claims, you have supposition.

MWeston said that in the other threat. But as I understood it, because it was messed up, they didn't ship it, but tweak the moulds and ship the samples, when they are ok.

BackAssward said:
OK, Facts: It has been posted that they are a very professional company. It has been posted that they helped tweak the design of the case, as they have done many productions. It has been posted that they have boards to check the fit of the case. It has been posted that there is a language barrier, so a DS was used as a reference for the plastic.

You never answered my production comments and show now knowledge of such things, so a safe bet on that one.

As a very professional company, with a board to test the fit with, a company that helped tweak the original design, a company that has produced many products (including the Pandora AV cables, with great design and craftsmanship)... it is logic, not assumption that they sent what they thought was what the customer wanted. OP is not their first customer, the company is not a bunch not hacks, don't think just because it is Chinese that it is a sweat shop factory.

I don't have to comment your assumptions on my person, I know what I know.

And I knew that I made an assumption, because that's what I called it.
You make your own assumptions, but don't declare them as such, instead try to impose their indiscussible accuracy on me/us.

I have already stated what I think and will not change my opinion about it unless we get facts.

To conclude, thank you for making me loose interest in discussing here once I try, I'm sure you'll find someone else.

Back