Bringing the case and PCB together

In one of the last couple updates he mentioned that the company had come up with a way to have them horizontal that they were proud of and ED agreed to get a sample done up to see how it felt. Presumably this is that sample and it is working well enough that he just wants some tweaks.

If the lower button does end up extending around the corner then it seems to me it'd be the best of both: you could click the "lower" with your knuckle and the "upper" with finger tips, as if they were horizontal.

The question that remains is if the upper button can be pressed with modestly fat fingers without accidentally pressing the bottom one too. Does anyone know how big ED's fingers are?
The shifted placement is indeed interesting and could work, however, the hinge is still the critical factor for using the upper button. To be on the save side, both buttons should be placed as low as possible, lower one even lower than in ED's recent sketch (shape seems to be good). Like the one from the Pandora the lower trigger could be part of the bottom side. Of course it needs a better fitting than the one from the Pandora.At the moment, only ED can tell if these buttons work. ^^"

Maybe something like this would be something people would buy (not ds, pandora/pyra of course):

http://videogame.brando.com/nds-lite-2-in-1-handy-strap_p00526c0021d008.html

VNIOT004000_07_L.JPG

no. Don't make the same shape of every handheld/mobile ever. A simple metal logo keychain will work fine

I can use the time to type up a blog entry while listening to SNES music :)
 I've been searching for a snes/retro gaming music album. Any one you'd recommend?
Not listening to albums, but the original SPC soundtracks :)

There are a lot of great soundtracks, basically all Squaresoft games.

I was listening to Mystic Ark in the plane.

In one of the last couple updates he mentioned that the company had come up with a way to have them horizontal that they were proud of and ED agreed to get a sample done up to see how it felt. Presumably this is that sample and it is working well enough that he just wants some tweaks.

If the lower button does end up extending around the corner then it seems to me it'd be the best of both: you could click the "lower" with your knuckle and the "upper" with finger tips, as if they were horizontal.

The question that remains is if the upper button can be pressed with modestly fat fingers without accidentally pressing the bottom one too. Does anyone know how big ED's fingers are?
The shifted placement is indeed interesting and could work, however, the hinge is still the critical factor for using the upper button. To be on the save side, both buttons should be placed as low as possible, lower one even lower than in ED's recent sketch (shape seems to be good). Like the one from the Pandora the lower trigger could be part of the bottom side. Of course it needs a better fitting than the one from the Pandora.
At the moment, only ED can tell if these buttons work. ^^"
ED's/designing crew's idea is likely sufficient to our needs. I recall the Gameboy SP shoulders were quite good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall the Gameboy SP shoulders were quite good as well.
Shame about the rest of the design, made my hands ache it did.
But the GBA SP had a great and precise D-Pad, at least I found it better than the one from the first GBA. Maybe not everyone liked that "clicky" feeel and I personaly miss the diagonals like on every Nintendo Cross D-Pad but overall it was well made. No wobbling around in the case etc.

We have about 400 new ones.

Global did get about the same amount.

So it's about 800 in total.

Minus the ones in the Pandoras we already sold since the last batch of batteries did ship to GC (50 - 100) and minus the spare batteries sold it should not be more than 600 - 700 new ones I think.

400 might be a little too low estimated.

Exact numbers from CG would be useful.

But no matter what, we have enough batteries for years.

I recall the Gameboy SP shoulders were quite good as well.
The only benefits I think the GBA SP has over the standard GBA are it can be more compact and protects the screen when not in use, and it has a lit screen.  Many other things, such as rechargeable battery, are debatable.  I got one as my first GBA, and due to my situation the positives I mentioned above were very important.  It is very much too small.  If we are going to follow the design of a Nintendo handheld I say we go for DMG button size and robustness, with original GBA shoulder buttons and maybe comfort (I have never ranked Game Boys based on comfort).

Nevermind. -_-

Back