Action button labels: poll

Can the action buttons be labeled with Latin letters or should they have unique symbols?

• Latin letters are OK

Votes: 67 72.0%
  • Other symbols are OK

Votes: 60 64.5%

• Total voters

You forgot the numbers only design...
 You mean 1 2 3 4 5 6 in Arabic numerals? Is anyone seriously proposing that? It would be rather confusing given that we also have number keys. I guess I could add it as an option if someone insists...
But chess figures or card symbols + colors? o_O

But chess figures or card symbols + colors? o_O
Chess symbols, colors, and suits could not be confused with keyboard keys by Neelix. Regardless, it makes sense for any suggestion made to exist in this poll.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
The dice faces don't look as cool if you leave out the themed concave button picture.
OK, included the dice picture. Most of the proposals would look cooler with proper pictures though.

action_buttons.png

I also added Neelix' alphanumerical suggestion as an option to the poll.
Looks good I think.

Look good but IMO it should be with mate black button and glossy black letters so that it would look more elegant.

I hope this poll goes through iterations so people can vote again amongst a decreasing pool. I don't think the acceptable/preferred split gives enough of that on its own. I suspect that the Greek Playstation-like option wouldn't be winning once all the latin options are eliminated, those voters would be more likely to move to the next most similar thing.

That would look more elegant I agree.

The Pandora is just etched in and also pretty hard to read in a low light, but that's fine with me.

Where this example has quite chunky bold type, it should be a little more readable than Pandora buttons

Hopefully ED will publicly ask for our feedback some time from now.

In the interim, shouldn't a poll like this from the beginning have every serious suggestion on this forum as a votable choice though to be "labeled" unbiased to be considered fair to all our community?

I'll add it to the poll if your proposal is supported by at least one other person but yourself. There are quite a lot of options already, I'm not going to keep adding new options unless there is some evidence that more than one person supports it.
Isn't this why we have polls?

Look good but IMO it should be with mate black button and glossy black letters so that it would look more elegant.
Black on Black would be too hard to distinguish for some people.

-God Ginrai

How that might look

bfp8wo.png
Ignoring the fact that it has Greek characters, I don't believe that Black on Black is distinct enough for people to be able to clearly and quickly tell what the buttons are at a glance.

-God Ginrai

Yeah, a same colour gloss against matte is almost certainly going to require holding at angles to catch the light source correct to view. Unless it was a large area, but obviously these buttons are not going to be.

Would suit me, but I know what you mean, not ideal for visibility

I am a bit confused about the current voting ^^

Sure it's nice to compare the keys to other consoles, but it's not my main aspect of dicision.

I would prefer to have a special one in my hands and not getting people ask me, wheather its a new kind of nds or something.

I'm thinking of an open source console which don't getting rates like it's a clone of another handheld.

I am a bit confused about the current voting ^^

Sure it's nice to compare the keys to other consoles, but it's not my main aspect of dicision.

I would prefer to have a special one in my hands and not getting people ask me, wheather its a new kind of nds or something.

I'm thinking of an open source console which don't getting rates like it's a clone of another handheld.
People aren't going to judge whether your device is a DS or not based on the buttons. They are going to ask "is that a DS" because you're holding a gaming device with a clamshell form factor. They probably would not even have seen it close enough to notice the labels on the buttons by the time they asked you that question.

-God Ginrai

How that might look

bfp8wo.png
Yes like that, that would look good with the minimalist and elegant look of the Pandora/Pyra.

I don't believe that Black on Black is distinct enough for people to be able to clearly and quickly tell what the buttons are at a glance.
Yeah, a same colour gloss against matte is almost certainly going to require holding at angles to catch the light source correct to view. Unless it was a large area, but obviously these buttons are not going to be.

Would suit me, but I know what you mean, not ideal for visibility
I mean with hollow letters there would be no problem. Plus in the dark, letters would be even more visible with the screen's light.

I mean with hollow letters there would be no problem.
Hollow meaning engraved like the current Pandora letters? Honestly, I wasn't too fond of that method. :\

Plus in the dark, letters would be even more visible with the screen's light.
This brings up another idea. What if the buttons had a translucent material for the characters on it. That way, we could take advantage of the keyboard backlight to light up the buttons in the dark.

-God Ginrai

This brings up another idea. What if the buttons had a translucent material for the characters on it. That way, we could take advantage of the keyboard backlight to light up the buttons in the dark.

-God Ginrai
I think it sounds crazy not to do that.  I haven't allowed myself to think about that much because I assumed whatever backlight rectangle would be too small or far away or something.  And I like ridges, but the Pandora's carved out keys fill with dirt pretty easily.

Hollow meaning engraved like the current Pandora letters? Honestly, I wasn't too fond of that method. :\
Yes, but that would not look like the pandora because these letters are thick. And it would resolve the problem of glossy black on mate black visibility.

Cool in the night, but don't look good in daylight.

Yes, but that would not look like the pandora because these letters are thick. And it would resolve the problem of glossy black on mate black visibility.
 Yes, it probably would solve the Black on Black problem. I'm just not sure if I like it. :\ I guess I wouldn't really know unless I got to try a sample, honestly.

Cool in the night, but don't look good in daylight.
I think that by fiddling with the opacity, we could find a happy medium that both looks good during the day and lights up well at night.

-God Ginrai

Back