A few Colors and Packages (with a poll!)

Which packaging would you prefer?

• The smaller one (with the battery below the Pyra)

Votes: 282 94.3%
  • The bigger one (with the battery and the Pyra at the same level)

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

And as with the keyboard layout Grench wanted/proposed something a bit out there, but useful.

@comradekingu what color(s) do you want? :p

The keyboard layout discussions were actually far more collaborative than they are given credit for. The final outcome did not look anything like anyone's first crack at it - which was a good thing. Many of my design ideas were incorporated - most of which were derivations from other's ideas - and many of their ideas were incorporated. What we got in the end is, IMHO, pretty darn cool.

Now to actually get one. It's been a seemingly long wait - not a critique, just an observation.

As crazy as it sounds. A frankenpour case interests me. I've seen the result with other products that sell them usually for cheaper as they use the left over material from pouring other molds into one.

If you get any interesting colour changes like black with red swirled it or such itd be totally unique. As well as being a bit more environmentally friendly.

Also I'm a sucker for multi coloured odd things. So a really insane looking case interests me.

As crazy as it sounds. A frankenpour case interests me. I've seen the result with other products that sell them usually for cheaper as they use the left over material from pouring other molds into one.

If you get any interesting colour changes like black with red swirled it or such itd be totally unique. As well as being a bit more environmentally friendly.

Also I'm a sucker for multi coloured odd things. So a really insane looking case interests me.

I've been wishing for that too. A Red/Black mid-switchover bakelyte looking no two pieces alike thing. But, that would be difficult to manage in an ongoing production environment. Too many product streams.

A "leftover pellets" case would be great if it's very obviously such a mix- so it doesn't look like an accident of poor quality standards. The case is perfectly practical polycarbonate, coloured with mixed-in pigment rather than surface-painted, and it would be nice for it to show that fact proudly. :D

Of all the case colours I've seen photos of so far, the pastel violet one is by far and away my favourite- assuming that actual production ones will use the same grey nubs and buttons and stuff for all case colour options. I'd be similarly thrilled with lotsa tints, shades or tones of orange, violet, or green, though. I like those hues.

It's prolly unlikely that either "changeover" or pastel violet will make the production offerings, but whatevs. At this point it looks like that soft, easy-on-the-eyes red & grey scheme is gonna be an option, and I'd be quite satisfied with that.

That's prolly for the best, as the red & grey would look more appealing to random peops I run into than the "Willy Wonka" look I'd otherwise prefer. Some of the appeal of the Pyra is that every time this human uses a PC in public could be a chance to encourage awareness of and interest in fair & open design philosophy, (particularly FOSS software) as well as the fact that modern computing hardware makes it quite technically feasible for one's smartphone to also be a fully-functional palmtop PC & pocket game console.

IIRC, all nubs/shoulder buttons/etc. will be black, regardless of case color...

By "black," do you mean something darker than what some of the prototypes are using? It's not gonna be a big deal, but I do hope that "black" refers to what I've been interpreting as "dark grey" in photos of prototypes.

I think that grey colour was a mistake, so I'm hoping the actual dark grey used will be properly dark. Thus I'd expect any off-colour shoulders (if we end up having them at all) to be darker. I'm not sure which moulds the shoulder buttons and nubs come from, so what would need to be produced might stop special colours of those being made economically, but I'd be in favour of that mid grey if the red case ends up being produced. Not sure if that mid grey would work with other colours though.

I'm not sure where the d-pads come from. Perhaps they're being supplied by the keymat makers, not the case part makers though.

Back