A daily report from the Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got my first Pandora (one 2009 preorder remains). A very great piece of technology. The whole Team is doing a fantastic job!

Im jealous mine only has 265 mb ;(
I'm not! I never get close to maxing it out! :lol: (It helped me to realise that a lot of what I do on computers only really needs 256MB of RAM. :p )

I'm just happy for the folks who are getting extra - good on them, and a nice payoff for their immense patience, I think. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
512 MB would be nice for web browsing, but apart from that, I can't think of a reason to need any more. And on all my computers exept my pandora, I don't use tabs, so 256 MB will probably serve me fine when I get a Raspberry Pi®

It really does make realize just how much RAM is available on a desktop. Heck I used to run WinXP on a 400 Mhz Celeron with 192 MB of RAM. Really, for my purposes at the time, it was fine as long as the system was completely clean.

I however do run out of ram on the Pandora, but I think 256 MB is sufficient. 512 MB will be perfect.

^ I was thinking the other day, about how all of what I do, I used to do with only 32MB of RAM. Before that, 64KB. My usage really hasn't changed *enormously* - only to the point where 256MB is plenty... The rest is probably just a result of bloat.

Well on my desktop Firefox uses 1.8 GB of ram including the plugin container... Windows 7 is using a GB on its own, but no one has really paid attention to that because we have so much ram on desktops it just does not matter anymore.

I guess that's one of the upsides of having plenty of ram though, you just don't need to even look at it.

There will be some pandora parts left over from refurbishing/repairing or upgrading old Pandoras. Of course some must always be kept for RMAs (repairs).

However, some Pandoras will be available for less money because they havebroken WiFi, a broken nub or some other defect. EvilDragon has already stated this. Perhaps you can save for one of these less expensive ones?
Yes, I consider that, but I have job issues now, and anything Pandora-related is out of my possibilities for the present time.

@Zink: Why do you want to build your Pandora on your own? If you simply want to know what's insde and how everything wrks just open up a completely built unit and put it together then. I don't know whether it's good for the spare parts if they are shipped as such and not as complete Pandora.
It's that I like assembling things very much :) (mostly electronic stuff). But if you say there is much chance to break something along the way, I won't force it.

Or you can send me some parts, and I will help you with assembling :D . I live in Poland, it's very close to Germany :) .

Building your own pandora for the first time ?

I say 80% chances you break the LCD cable ^^.
Is the cable made of ice? :D

Seriously, is it more fragile than cables in regular PDAs? I have disassembled a couple of them and some other stuff with flex cables, and I haven't broke anything :) .

Each new person has to be trained and given a place in a project. So adding additional people doesn't always help reduce the workload.
I didn't mean to complain. I just found it funny that Askarus was telling Tj to come over from America while I'm sitting around in the general area. Also I didn't just offer to work right on the project. I could just as well process orders from the shop or flash dingoo firmwares. I know the latter ones aren't being sold anymore but that's one thing I actually did when I helped out back in 2010.

Im jealous mine only has 265 mb ;(
I'm not! I never get close to maxing it out! :lol: (It helped me to realise that a lot of what I do on computers only really needs 256MB of RAM. :p )

I'm just happy for the folks who are getting extra - good on them, and a nice payoff for their immense patience, I think. :)

it only happens in firefox and battle for wesnoth, but I happen to use those 2 a lot!

Building your own pandora for the first time ?

I say 80% chances you break the LCD cable ^^.
Is the cable made of ice? :D

Seriously, is it more fragile than cables in regular PDAs? I have disassembled a couple of them and some other stuff with flex cables, and I haven't broke anything :) .

The LCD cable is solid. But during assembly, if you don't exactly know what you're doing, you break it.

I think i broke 2 ou 3 myself before to totally understand the way to do it.

Hey I managed to change mine on first try, even after rolling it the wrong way first time and then having to open the lid again (ouch). ED's video is great help there.

Sorry to keep you waiting.

Here's the report for the last two days:

250 Pandora housings are ready in ED's office to go to Gloal Components (With Buttons and that stuff).

135 more are at ED's house and also ready excet the keymats (those ate in the office).

Also thre are some more Ready lids at ED's home.

There are 200 unfinished lids left in the office. 100 of those and the 1000 are done. ED ordered 100 extra to have them in stock.

3 Days for 100 lids and housings should be no problem (I did 400 in 5 days). Perhaps I'll prepare some of the remaining 100 lids then but I have to slow down. Coming home everyday with hurting fingers and/or back is not that good.

OK, here's my last and final report:

Since thurseday my thumbs are useless (Lids, lids, lids...) and I couldn't write any report on my Pandora. Now I've got a real keyboard and can finally do my duty.

The work is mostly done and all in all I completed about 500 Housings to go to GC during the last 1 1/2 weeks.

Some more small stuff is prepared like putting the other LCDs into the housing.

On Friday the boxes have arrived. They are great and everything fits in perfectly.

We (me and Link) also repaired some Pandoras. After Link left ED also repaired some forther ones.

I could improve the Lid-making-speed. YOu can for example role the LCD-cable dotecrly around the Wifi cable. No screwdriver is nececarry. (Yust an information for the other two great helper).

We not only started the mass, but also the mess production. I'ver never seen so much packaging trash. The chinese are crazy. Two og the three spare parts of the new chargers were in a (much too big) plastic bag. 1000 charger = 2000 litle plastic bags and a lot of boxes.

I also cleande up ED's room three times and it didn't help much. After 2 Days everything was worse than before. I couldn't beat that challenge. It's impossible to keep that roo clean :D .

Global Components was so great. there's nothing which might cause the Pandora to fall if such a great company supports us.

In the last Weeks I got a lot important knowledge about what's inside the Pandora. Perhaps you'll get some nice surprice during the next weeks.

Hopefully I didn't forget some important facts.

And in the End:

EvilDragon, Link and Linux-Swat, thanks for the great time with you!

Thanks to all who supported us on this thread and on all other places!

End of the rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back