A daily report from the Rebirth

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Link, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiralofhope

spiralofhope Member

Each new person has to be trained and given a place in a project. So adding additional people doesn't always help reduce the workload.

When a project is at a busy stage, adding people almost always makes a deadline impossible to reach!

I think it's one of these books which helps explain the idea:

http://en.wikipedia....hical_Man-Month

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0932633390

I think it would be really cool if someone could develop a community project which would have people come together to build a device. This is like a barn raising. These days people come together for things like building a house with cob or adobe.

Perhaps when the Pandora is popular, local user groups could form, and then there could be smaller communities which have hack meets to accomplish small goals.

For anyone who programs, good paired programming gives this feeling of community.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Link

Link ithic.com

Regarding the extra help on this stage of production. Initially this was best done in house in an advance preparation for boards coming from China and populated at Global Components. It literally saved a few hundred worker hours at Global Components. However, with production and testing taking place at Global Components, it turned into a bit of a logistical shuffling act for ED with some parts at his office, some in storage, at home, and/or some with Global Components.

During the testing phase, its just easiest for things to be in one place and easily troubleshot, which is Global Components. The plan has always been to move manufacturing there after the first 1000 in Germany are produced, but overall its just easier to keep things there for what hasn't been completed of this initial 1000.

3. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

Ok, yesterday I put some more Lcd cables into the lids.

200 more to go.

I'll definitly be ready next week.

4. ensoniq2k

ensoniq2k Still Fresh

I finally got my first Pandora (one 2009 preorder remains). A very great piece of technology. The whole Team is doing a fantastic job!

5. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

Im jealous mine only has 265 mb ;(

6. RunningSpoon

RunningSpoon Still Fresh

You atleast got Pandora, there are many of us that haven't even seen Pandora in our own hands. Of course we have seen it on screen, but that doesn't count ^_^

7. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

But how long have others been jealous that you had one at all? :p

8. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

I'm not! I never get close to maxing it out! :lol: (It helped me to realise that a lot of what I do on computers only really needs 256MB of RAM. :p )

I'm just happy for the folks who are getting extra - good on them, and a nice payoff for their immense patience, I think. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  9. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

512 MB would be nice for web browsing, but apart from that, I can't think of a reason to need any more. And on all my computers exept my pandora, I don't use tabs, so 256 MB will probably serve me fine when I get a Raspberry Pi®

10. Darkknight512

Darkknight512 Member

It really does make realize just how much RAM is available on a desktop. Heck I used to run WinXP on a 400 Mhz Celeron with 192 MB of RAM. Really, for my purposes at the time, it was fine as long as the system was completely clean.

I however do run out of ram on the Pandora, but I think 256 MB is sufficient. 512 MB will be perfect.

11. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

^ I was thinking the other day, about how all of what I do, I used to do with only 32MB of RAM. Before that, 64KB. My usage really hasn't changed *enormously* - only to the point where 256MB is plenty... The rest is probably just a result of bloat.

12. Darkknight512

Darkknight512 Member

Well on my desktop Firefox uses 1.8 GB of ram including the plugin container... Windows 7 is using a GB on its own, but no one has really paid attention to that because we have so much ram on desktops it just does not matter anymore.

I guess that's one of the upsides of having plenty of ram though, you just don't need to even look at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  13. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

Hope your fingers doesn't hurt ^^.

I wish i could come back soon :/.

14. Zink

Zink Member

Yes, I consider that, but I have job issues now, and anything Pandora-related is out of my possibilities for the present time.

It's that I like assembling things very much :) (mostly electronic stuff). But if you say there is much chance to break something along the way, I won't force it.

Or you can send me some parts, and I will help you with assembling :D . I live in Poland, it's very close to Germany :) .

Is the cable made of ice? :D

Seriously, is it more fragile than cables in regular PDAs? I have disassembled a couple of them and some other stuff with flex cables, and I haven't broke anything :) .

15. Lockenlord

Lockenlord Still Fresh

I didn't mean to complain. I just found it funny that Askarus was telling Tj to come over from America while I'm sitting around in the general area. Also I didn't just offer to work right on the project. I could just as well process orders from the shop or flash dingoo firmwares. I know the latter ones aren't being sold anymore but that's one thing I actually did when I helped out back in 2010.

16. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

it only happens in firefox and battle for wesnoth, but I happen to use those 2 a lot!

17. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

The LCD cable is solid. But during assembly, if you don't exactly know what you're doing, you break it.

I think i broke 2 ou 3 myself before to totally understand the way to do it.

18. Link

Link ithic.com

I killed a few LCD cables too until I really figured out the ins and outs of it all. Literally :)

19. notaz

notaz Certified Guru

Hey I managed to change mine on first try, even after rolling it the wrong way first time and then having to open the lid again (ouch). ED's video is great help there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  20. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

Sorry to keep you waiting.

Here's the report for the last two days:

250 Pandora housings are ready in ED's office to go to Gloal Components (With Buttons and that stuff).

135 more are at ED's house and also ready excet the keymats (those ate in the office).

Also thre are some more Ready lids at ED's home.

There are 200 unfinished lids left in the office. 100 of those and the 1000 are done. ED ordered 100 extra to have them in stock.

3 Days for 100 lids and housings should be no problem (I did 400 in 5 days). Perhaps I'll prepare some of the remaining 100 lids then but I have to slow down. Coming home everyday with hurting fingers and/or back is not that good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.