Blog Post.. China New Years? I Thought Made In Us?

noisome

I remember in a thread quite a long time ago that things were being made in the US. Maybe I missed something, but that's what I remember.

It was stated "we didn't want to go low quality" so they went with US manufacturers. Which parts are being made in the US and which parts are being made in China and elsewhere?

Noisome

good question.

I have another one (all of you talkin' gbout UNPROFESIONALLITY listen up):

It was said, that the CNC prototype will be made short after the FDM one which was "scheduled" (and was made) for now. So I wonder: Did they just realized today that the New Year in China starts today? And couldn't they have said: "CNC well after one week after the FDM." ?

I have exactly the same feeling about "no low quality" and "US manufacturers". So first what I think about during reading new blog post was that I missed link between China New Year and delay of US manufacturers :huh:
I'm starting to be pesimistic when I'm reading on blog/forum something like "... is now ready for the mass production!" :(

The CNC case has nothing todo with the actual production. It's just a necessary step in prototyping. The statement, that they will produce mainly in the US isn't contradicted by the CNC being made in China.

From my experience with chinese manufactures - New Year introduces a minimum of two weeks into any time scale - workers like to go home for the new year and with a country the size of china, that can take some time.

This is not a dig, i'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that the Pandora team took this into account.

Talking of quality of build, does anybody else think that the volume control looks a bit shoddy? The rest of it looks great, just wondering if thats how it will look on the finished product?

Snappy said:
I have exactly the same feeling about "no low quality" and "US manufacturers".
what, are you implying that everything made in US is low quality ? Like cars or credits ? :D

Ok, just kidding. More to the topic.

I was following these threads and my impression was that the final assembly as well as chips and board are US made. Less demanding parts, like case and LCDs originate from China. But of course, it is just my impression and can be entirely wrong. In globalized world, no product is made entirely in one country.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Having CNC prototyping done anywhere outside asia is prohibitively expensive.
I didn't mean to seem rude with the question. I was just wondering if the final production of everything or most things is in the US or China or elsewhere.

Thanks,

Noisome

So instead of Februrary 2nd, we may be looking at Feb 9th to even make the order for the CNC prototype case?

How long does that take and how long before the CE or FCC gets their hands on this "almost" final build to test?

I guess we are still looking at an April Shipment?

craigix said:
Aside from the Case it's all USA.
mmm iis that just the protoype case, because the final mass produced case is CNC aswell (just so people dont get confused rether to it as protoype cnc :D)

because i distinctly remember there was talk that they didnt want the crappy chineese cases LOL

i persoonally dont care, but that might need changed it was found on either the offical site or wiki, cant check on ps3
also it obviously wasnt put in those words

anyway will we be given cad files of the case at launch, so we may beable to go to another company and get a custom one printed off
or is this a copyright issue, also anyone know of a place which would do such a thing, if a protype case was expensive im sure this would be the same, but at what figures are we talking about here

thanks

overall i personally just dont care any more, given up on time frames, april will be bad for me because of exams, but hopefully i can get some of my games finished of before then and make nescerraly changes after

I trust they that the case will come out fine, but it's good that the rest of it's made outside of Asia. Having lived in Asia I know what their electronics are like - and they're not trustworthy.

*Reads the bottom of his MacBook Pro*

"Assembled in China"

Thought so.

*Looks on the underside of a PS3 controller*

"MADE IN CHINA"

Thought so.

*Looks on the underside of a Nintendo DS*

"MADE IN CHINA"

Thought so.

*Looks on the underside of his SteelSeries Ikari Laser Mouse*

"MADE IN CHINA"

Thought so.

What, exactly, was the point you were trying to make about Chinese assembly and engineering?

Things CAN be made cheaply and poor quality in China, but for the most part they're not. I'd wager that practically every electronic device you own has a similar "MADE IN CHINA" moniker on its underside. What alternate universe are you living in where the US actually assembles anything anymore?

Welcome to the thread for racist bigots and/or idiots.

(Disclaimer: I am neither Chinese nor have any affiliation with the Chinese government NI HAO!!!!!)

WoD said:
Welcome to the thread for racist bigots and/or idiots.
You call me a racist, you racist? You're just as much one as anyone else apparently.

Anyway, this thread can be closed. Craigix said everything is made in the US except the case.

Thanks for your help sirs & madams.

Noisome

In case you don't understand, those products (made by big companies like Nintendo) are supervised by their own people. Unless you're Nintendo, Sony, Apple, or any of the others, you probably don't have enough money to make sure that the products maintain their quality. I have been to China, and I know that most companies that try to make their products there end up not getting exactly what they asked for, and instead have 1000 generic low-quality products that they're stuck with and have to pay for.

Yeah I once commissioned a chinese company to manufacture me a custom-designed laptop, it came back made of recycled paper and fruit peel...

Username said:
In case you don't understand, those products (made by big companies like Nintendo) are supervised by their own people. Unless you're Nintendo, Sony, Apple, or any of the others, you probably don't have enough money to make sure that the products maintain their quality. I have been to China, and I know that most companies that try to make their products there end up not getting exactly what they asked for, and instead have 1000 generic low-quality products that they're stuck with and have to pay for.
China is a long long way away and I think this is the thing that worries companies. We use a local company that has a sister business in China where they do all the manufacturing. The local company does quality checks, goods-in inspection/testing etc of the products before we assemble them. This is a better (less risky) situation than getting the stuff direct from the Chinese mfg. The risk being you get a big batch of duff stock and have to send it all back with a huge lead time (mfg, shipping, customs etc). The local company absorbs that lag by getting goods in 1 month before we need them - gives them time to check and return or repair faults.
That's my take on the China worry. Although we also used another local company supplying direct to us who decided that they'd shut up shop and move to Romania. They weren't making much money so sent all the staff off on summer holidays only for them to return and find the factory gates closed and the building empty. The company took all the tooling we had paid for and shipped it to Romania to work on a different project. Changed the company name and told us they weren't dealing with us anymore. The place was literally 15 minutes drive away.
I can't imagine the guys not being tempted (if they had any sense) to take some of the production out to China if the cost reduction was beneficial. It would be in all our interests so that this project can be successful and more Pandoras will be available to the wider community.
We may even be lucky enough to take part in the design input for a new handheld or dare I say it a console!!!
Pandora 360!

Back