A daily report from the Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice video. Good to see it coming together. And the part, where he fixes a stuck tape reminded me on my old cassetteplayer ;)

Very nice video. Good to see it coming together. And the part, where he fixes a stuck tape reminded me on my old cassetteplayer ;)

I used to put components into those reels of tape in a previous position with my current employer... Seeing that brought back bad memories.. sometimes someone is stupid and the components end up in being put in backward into the reels.. The result is having to peel all the tape off, putting these tiny parts back into these Jedec trays and making sure they are all facing the same way and run them back through again.. thousands of tiny parts and bad memories..

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing, flashing, for the last 12 hours, took an hour for lunch. Time for a walk, too much indoors today.

That's my post for the day!

Thanks for the video.

I find it difficult to watch videos of the strips of components being picked up and placed on the board... I just cant comprehend how the machine can be so accurate.. it's like it really shouldn't work.

Thanks for the video.

I find it difficult to watch videos of the strips of components being picked up and placed on the board... I just cant comprehend how the machine can be so accurate.. it's like it really shouldn't work.
You should take a tour of a Semiconductor Fab if you really want to blow your mind. How they make these processors with transistors so small 3,000 of them can fit in the width of a human hair.

The butt end of a pencil (eraser attached) might be a good tool for that job.
Finding that the stylus is a repair tool, so works there too. Working with the LCD on the PCB, the stylus is the best thing I've found so far, because its right there, and you don't have to find a regular screwdriver or forceps.

Askarus and I are repairing units right now. We should have at least a half dozen by the end of the day, and those are units that don't need PCBs. There will be some PCBs set aside for repairs too.

We repaired some further units today.

We got the D-pads from Craig and totorrow I'll prepare some keymats.

There's not much to do now untill we get new boards.

Link left us today.

Good bye my friend, you did a great job.

That's all for today.

Bye Link !

Yankee go home ;^D. With your bags full of OP ^^.
Thanks brother. Take care, and stay safe my friend. If I ever make it to Paris, I'll bring German beer :)

Yesterday I repaired my first nubs solo. I tried my own and cut off some capacitors = FAIL. Worked on two boards yesterday and am ready to repair Open Pandoras in the US now. LCDs/POD, Nubbage, cracked cases, I have parts and some skills behind me. I think the hardest part of the unit is the upper left/right of the LCD on disassembly, but I think that is because both my thumbs are raw. Removing nubs became much easier with some electrical tape on the end of a utility blade. Ripping dozens of units apart, then screwing them together for days is no easy work on the hands.

Respect your Pandoras boys and girls, soft cases, hard cases, don't drop, don't leave it on the plane, these things take time and skill.

I'm very thankful for this experience. Global Components are such good people, you should really feel good now that things are in their hands. They understand and appreciate this community and are now supporting it. We are very lucky that Craig gave ED the opportunity to run with this ball. ED is a rockstar. Never question that ;)

Good night everyone! This concludes my cooresponce from the Rebirth. Open Source will win, that's my prediction. We are Open, we are free.

I did the "Super Geometry Dust Test" with Link's repaired nubs: They work perectly. You're now certificated to repair nubs. Good work.

Nothing special today. I glued 360 D-pads. Then we run out of stuff.

We're waiting for some LCD's to prepare further lids. Hopefully they'll come tomorrow.

@ Askarus: Nice work, glad my solo nub replacement worked out. :)

My Pandora bag was scanned for bombs. I said "I know there are no bombs in there, I built them myself." Then I got checked AGAIN at the gate in Frankfurt... The one guy was a gamer and was totally interested in the Pandora when I broke it out. I had some brochures and he was adamant about getting one.

Customs in the US gave me a hard time because I declared them. Should have went with that Chinese clone price, but got through untaxed.

Off to Vermont now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back