100% success! (2011-12-24)

^

If I drive to Canada and buy one of those laptops they don't sell in the US, when declared at the border, I would have to pay to bring it back into the US, like duties or something right?

Glad to know there's no VAT going in. I don't mind shipping to Canada if that will save the Canadian community money as well. But if MWeston wants to play Santa Claus, he made the reindeer and the sleigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how it is in the US, but importing something to Canada there's only duty if what is being imported (or something similar) can't be purchased in Canada. I'm pretty sure that's not exactly right, but it's close enough. Generally speaking, the Pandora shouldn't have any duty applied to it, depending on how it's listed, but if the package says "Game console", then it might. Or if they open it up and say "looks like a tiny laptop" you get dinged with laptop tax. So far no one that I'm aware of has had to pay duty, either coming from UK or ordering second hand from the US.

^

If I drive to Canada and buy one of those laptops they don't sell in the US, when declared at the border, I would have to pay to bring it back into the US, like duties or something right?

Glad to know there's no VAT going in. I don't mind shipping to Canada if that will save the Canadian community money as well. But if MWeston wants to play Santa Claus, he made the reindeer and the sleigh.

Canadian/American duties are really weird, I must have read up on them at least 5 times and I still don't understand them. Essentially, some categories of goods require duties, while others don't (it is arbitrary, and I think there are even subsets of categories with exemptions.. its a pain to figure out) and secondly, there is a certain tax that they can charge.. I cant remember the exact name, however it basically compares the price you paid for a good in america, with (the MSRP maybe?) price of the identical good in Canada, and if there is a wide disparity they will charge you the difference. I had never heard of this before, and i bought a $400 bike on the internet for $200 plus $80 shipping.. only to be charged $200 taxes afterwards. I cant imagine how that second thing could possibly effect the Pandora, but for your example of a laptop, maybe. The easiest thing to do is just not claim stuff when you cross the border :p

We've got it pretty good in Australia. If it's under a grand, and it's under the radar. I don't think that's written into law though; just common practice at Customs.

We've got it pretty good in Australia. If it's under a grand, and it's under the radar. I don't think that's written into law though; just common practice at Customs.

I've heard that also Gruso, I'm hoping it's true as I've got an Epoch Game Pocket Computer being shipped to me from Japan that I'm hoping won't get any duties slapped on it.

I think, given by the view count, a lot of us are hoping for a status update soon :( I know there be no news...but are we looking toward early, mid, or late Feb for when mass production starts?

Very very excited about getting my pandora.

I think, given by the view count, a lot of us are hoping for a status update soon :( I know there be no news...but are we looking toward early, mid, or late Feb for when mass production starts?
No news is good news when it comes to this project, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say lack of news = Chinese New Year
I was going to ask if they were even waiting for things from China, then I remembered that the cases are coming from there for any new units they had to sell in order to fund the completion of the first and second batches.

I may have missed it, but are those of us that have been waiting around for the last 3 years sort of out of luck in terms of getting a first batch unit rather than just a regular unit at this point? Part of the point of getting in early was supposed to be getting a slightly special edition unit. I do have to admit though that at this point having that sticker isn't that big of a deal since the units are identical and in the same batch as newer orders.

^

The PCBs for the next 1000 are being produced in China next week I believe. Its not a case issue as there are plenty for the next 1000, there are No good PCBs in Germany to be populated by Global Components, that's why we are waiting on Chinese New Year to complete so the Pandora can have its Rebirth.

^

The PCBs for the next 1000 are being produced in China next week I believe. Its not a case issue as there are plenty for the next 1000, there are No good PCBs in Germany to be populated by Global Components, that's why we are waiting on Chinese New Year to complete so the Pandora can have its Rebirth.
I never heard about some PCB produce in China ><' I though the first were product (should have been ^^) produced in Texas but all the production hav been moved because of the incompeten... The incapacity of CC to produce it... Am I wrong? (other than in my english ^^)

That's right that a bit of new could be appreciate, just to say nothing wrong is arrived, everything in rail :p

I also hope that everybody is ok, I still do not have received any answer about the change of my address to received my bab... Pandora :D

There is an article on a french site , (http://www.gizmodo.fr/2012/01/25/mi-console-portable-mi-pc-ultra-mobile-le-pandora-sera-disponible-en-fevrier.html) talking of the pandora, it is said it (she ^^)will be available in Febrary, I hope so :p

(The article is a bit lite... But it is nt a bad publicity :) )

Bien a vous

The bare PCBs have always been made in China, but populated in Texas. Now they'll be populated in Germany.

(a little question, why the production can't start in january^^)

For the prototype run, only 20 bare PCBs have been built.

1000 bare PCBs for the mass production run have a leadtime of 20 working days.

The company that is producing the bare PCBs is in China - and they are closing down for Chinese New Year on January 16th for two weeks.

So they should be back at work this coming Monday.

Also, as I recall, all PCBs were produced and shipped to CC, but most of them corroded from not being used in time. Once they're used, they're fine, but bare contacts will go bad eventually. CC tried to use them anyway, which is (most likely) the cause of the 25% failure rate they were producing. Those boards have been scrapped.

There is an article on a french site , (http://www.gizmodo.f...en-fevrier.html) talking of the pandora, it is said it (she ^^)will be available in Febrary, I hope so :p

Sad to see it says it only has 256 MB of RAM, while they will actually have 512 MB because the old chips aren't available anymore.

Also the comments are a large pile of crap. Excuse the bad word, but it is what it is. They talk about the Pandora without knowing what it is. Except the one that corrects the RAM mistake. :)

There is an article on a french site , (http://www.gizmodo.f...en-fevrier.html) talking of the pandora, it is said it (she ^^)will be available in Febrary, I hope so :p

Sad to see it says it only has 256 MB of RAM, while they will actually have 512 MB because the old chips aren't available anymore.

Also the comments are a large pile of crap. Excuse the bad word, but it is what it is. They talk about the Pandora without knowing what it is. Except the one that corrects the RAM mistake. :)

I generally try to not read the comment... It is generally crappy ... ^^ The good guy are here :p

To the best of my knowledge, no one in Canada has been hit with customs fees.

Do Canadian's pay a VAT when things are sent from the US?

VAT is Europe only.

Open Pandora does have an entity in Canada, will MWeston be handling those?

If they were shipped to the states, then to MWeston and then to Canadian customers, it may be a way to avoid people getting hit by customs fees.

Erm, it would certainly hit Michael with gigantic custom fees.

Your methods are just moving the fees to different people. There is no way to avoid them aside from luck (aka busy day at customs).

Back