100% success! (2011-12-24)

I've got quite a bit of an eMail backlog, but no worries:

The queue is not determined when the money is transferred, but when you did your preorder, so when you got the first eMail "Thank you for preordering...", you're place is set :)

I'm going to check all preorders and payments shortly before the units are finished, so if something went wrong with the payment, everything can be solved at that time. Your queue number will not change :)

Thanks for the response :)

The preorder was placed at the start of november and the payment sent very shortly afterwards.

Heres a copy of the email from paypal. Dated 3/11/2011 23:32:40 GMT.

The thing that worries me is I didn't get that first email saying 'thank you for preordering, your place is set'

You sent a payment of 15.00 EUR to OpenPandora GmbH(EvilDragon@openpandora.org)

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Merchant

OpenPandora GmbH

EvilDragon@openpandora.org Instructions to merchant

You haven't entered any instructions. Description Unit price Qty Amount Pandora Preorder

, Please enter at least 10 EUR as price.: €15.00 EUR 1 €15.00 EUR

Subtotal €15.00 EUR Total €15.00 EUR Payment €15.00 EUR Charge will appear on your credit card statement as 'PAYPAL *OPENPANDORA'

Payment sent to EvilDragon@openpandora.org

How come the new one costs a lot more than the old one? (especially including the VAT) doesnt mass production usually mean cheaper to make which means cheaper to buy? i dont know, maybe ive got it all wrong.

How come the new one costs a lot more than the old one? (especially including the VAT) doesnt mass production usually mean cheaper to make which means cheaper to buy? i dont know, maybe ive got it all wrong.

The old ones also were mass production, but the production in Texas was way cheaper.

However, the production in Texas also was not working - 1000 out of 4000 boards are broken, so in the end, production in Texas was more expensive and therefore we made a huge loss.

Also, the parts for the first 4000 were ordered years ago. Overall costs have increased (inflation rate, etc.)

And the VAT has not changed. If you bought within the EU, it was always at least 19%.

The original ones were sold cheap to get enough money for development/setup.

EDIT: :ph34r: Ninja'd by ED

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad that mainboard population in Germany works so well, but one thing I don't understand yet about the enthusiasm that production will be so much faster now:

What about assembly of the entire device? As far as I know, this was done manually by some team members meeting in UK and working for a few weeks on assembling the Pandoras. Isn't that still a "speed bottleneck"? Or did I miss something?

Daniel

Assembly for the first 1000 will partly happen here (we're already working on it) and partly at GC (the production company).

After that, the plan is to have them do the full production, so I get finished boxes and just ship.

Great news!

So outsourcing device assembly in favor of a probably much faster workflow may also justify part of the higher price. :)

Assembly for the first 1000 will partly happen here (we're already working on it) and partly at GC (the production company).

After that, the plan is to have them do the full production, so I get finished boxes and just ship.

Does that mean that you are already assembling German Pandoras? Have I missed something?

Silly question, does the google payment cockup affect shipping of pandy's? Cos I paid Craig through google, and want my pandy and am in the latter third of the first batch.

Does that mean that you are already assembling German Pandoras? Have I missed something?

I can preassemble the cases (put LCDs, LCD cables, etc. in)

That's actually the part that takes longest in the whole assembly process.

Putting the Pandora board in afterwards a case is fully assembled only takes about 2 minutes.

Really great news for the massive hike and advancement in production quality, however I can't help but be a little peeved at the aspect that all the new Pandoras produced henceforth will have twice as much RAM at no extra cost to the Pandora buyer, I understand that those people have already paid in advance and it would be horrible of you to simply as for more. However, if one of us guys with the older model want the upgrade we DO have to pay extra? Something about that just doesn't seem right, especially to those people who already paid over $100 more for a Premium delivery. Although in the long run, the RAM won't make much of an impact but still, graagagagr.

Also how long would it take for a PTOD RMA Pandora to get fixed up once you have production in full swing over there? Would there be a significant change in time, as the production would be a tonne more smoother than before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I don't understand that discussion about RAM.

Hardware evolves with time, and sometimes - as here - it even has to evolve, because the older hardware is not available anymore.

I think it's fair for those who waited that long, that they get a little hardware extra for the same price.

256MB is sufficient for a lot of things. I (with swap, though) did never reach a limit yet with 256MB, and I often have several programs open at once. For a PDA, the performance is still great.

If someone has a real need in 512MB of RAM for a specific reason, it should be worth the extra money. And if not, maybe it's just jealousy due to the higher number in the hardware specs?

Sorry, but I don't understand that discussion about RAM.

Hardware evolves with time, and sometimes - as here - it even has to evolve, because the older hardware is not available anymore.

I think it's fair for those who waited that long, that they get a little hardware extra for the same price.

Another point is that the first preorders were sold for 250€ (at EDs shop) and later on the price was higher. I payed 300€ in November 2009 an I'm still waiting. So there is even a price difference. Altough I have to admit that there are still some day 2 or day 3 preorders waiting to be shipped. Everyone with a 256MB RAM Pandora is able to use the console for many month now. Everyone still waiting gets a little upgrade for the trouble. Seems fair to me.

Yes, it's fair, and additionally all people getting a "256MB-only" Pandora have, at some point, decided to pay the money - be it 250€, 300€ or even 440€ - for a 256MB Pandora. So I see no point at all in complaining that they don't get more.

I paid for a 128MB Pandora. It was worth it at the time. I got a 256MB Pandora. It's still worth it. Some people will be getting a 512MB Pandora (I will eventually be one of them, I'm sure) and my 256MB Pandora will still be worth the price I paid for it. Just because your neighbour got a new car doesn't make your car automatically worth less.

I paid for a 128MB Pandora. It was worth it at the time. I got a 256MB Pandora. It's still worth it. Some people will be getting a 512MB Pandora (I will eventually be one of them, I'm sure) and my 256MB Pandora will still be worth the price I paid for it. Just because your neighbour got a new car doesn't make your car automatically worth less.

Not objectivlely, but if you are envious, the subjective value, i.e. the value for yourself, of your Pandora could be reduced by that fact.

Objectively, the value is reduced continuously with time anyway. ;-)

My plea to people here is not to be envious at all, but rather be glad that something like the Pandora exists. It's not a matter of course!

Daniel

I actually can't recall that anyone does have a problem with the RAM update ... ?

There is one thing about this RAM issue im wondering... IIRC EvilDragon said that they still receive "Texas-Pandora" with 256MB RAM. If I preorder now, is there a chance I get "Texas-Pandora" (256MB RAM) instead of "Germany-Pandora" (512MB RAM)?

I really don't care much about RAM but I like big numbers ^_^

I haven't been checking in on the forums for a while (pretty much since a few weeks after I sent my Pandora off for RMA) but it is good to hear things are moving forwards. I am very much looking forward to receiving my Pandora as my company has three titles which we are waiting to release on Pandora, KAMI RETRO, KamiCrazy and Battle Bugs. Hopefully in two months my new unit will arrive!

Steve

Back