100% success! (2011-12-24)

512MB will make it easier for me to develop games initially requiring more than 512MB that need optimizations for 256.

I'll probably get a second unit, after which I will probably develop initially on the 512MB but make sure everything works on the 256 before release :)

ED, Firstly you have made some amazing progress. Bit of a same Germany was not chosen in the fiest place :p

I don't berudge others that have had to wait longer than me getting extra memory but I do think it is inevertable that we will see "512k only" PNDs as DEVs with larger machines make quick ports and can't find the time to optimize memory usage.

Still it's great to see the pandora racing forward as it is.

Take a break ED you really deserve it.

Merry Christmas to all Pandorians.

WOW, I must have been snoozing yesterday, or to excited with emu developement to even check this thread. Actually I kind of stopped coming here awhile ago, as I was getting depressed by all the BS coming from CC and what not, and this morning the "100% Success" caught my eye.

This is business done right! Ed, who is the most hard working, and even handed fellow on the team(all memebers are very hard working, but Ed is very diplomatic in regards to people skills), is an hour away from board production, and it looks like it is being done properly from day one. I know the team was trying to save dollars in the begining, so they could be pass on savings to the consumer, but we all see what it actually cost us in the long run?

Now, I'm not saying the original choices where wrong, as I don't believe the Pandora would have survived this long, if the price out of the gate would have been 500 from the start. Let's just say this board company had been used from the start, we still would have had defective nubs, and slow case production, and thousands of preorders waiting for a 500+ machine to be built. I'm sure more chaos would have happened, and more bad press than we actually got.

I believe the only reason we got investors at this late stage of the game, was due to the units that did exist, being such wonderful devices. Now I know many of us don't have perfect units, and many of us have sent more than one unit back in for repair. So with that said, how many other devices can have these kinds of problems, and still have a loyal user base? NOT MANY!

I had my first child almost 6 years ago, and I think everything that could go wrong did(I won't go into details). Every plan me and my fiance had(now my wife) failed without question, and we had a plan for EVERYTHING. My son is now doing very welll health wise, and is doing even better in school, and he seems to get bigger and better everyday. Now, if me and my wife have another child, we would be prepared for almost any pitfall life could throw are way.

Sadly, that last three years have been hell for the team, and it appears to have only made you guys better at what you are currently doing. The ICP was the first example of a good idea done properly, now with board production moving to Germany, things are running as they should have from the start, but I don't feel we could have ever gotten here, without the trials and tribulations we have all indured.

So yes, the road was very bumpy, and I still won't celebrate just yet, because I have been in this community a long time, and for every good piece of news we ever get, there are at least 2 bad pieces waiting in the wings. :lol:

But I will say a BIG THANK YOU!, to every team member who didn't throw in the towel(this includes Jackie and Debs), and every member who didn't cancel, and endured broke nubs, blue screens, cracked cases ect. To those who threw in the towel and canceled, a BIG THANK YOU to you guys as well, if your investment was 1 month or 3 years, it was greatly appreaciated and put to good use. And a final BIG THANKS to all the new investors who can see the value in what is being done here, maybe not to get rich, but to see a ginuine need, and have the balls to help the team deliver it.

Ed, your video was excellent, and should be sent to Engadget, pocket gamers, and every other media outlet to show the amount of love, care, and quality that goes into the Pandora(we may not see it on the outside, but it is in there). Although I'm sure the comment sections will still fill with clowns talking about isn't this device "dead yet", but it would still be nice for those future users who are in to this kind of device to get to see what goes in to it's production. While watching that video, I still can hardly believe that four guys on oppisite sides of the world made this device possibe(plus many others), but here it is. All day battery life, desktop functions, and full speed PSX(Thanks Notaz/Exophase) ;)

Oh, before I go let me speak on the new ram issue. The fact that this project is still going defys all logic, so if the bigger amount was all that could be gotten, I say good for those guys/gals who are still waiting, you get another bonus for waiting. For us early recievers, I think the team should try and deliver the upgrade at the cost differance between what the origianal cost(330) to the new cost of(500). For those who upgraded or premium ordered, you will probably have to fall in with the rest of us, but your business was greatly appreaciated as this is now possible for the future.

I personally only really play games on my unit, with some light web browsing now and then. So I really have no plans currently to upgrade at any cost, but who knows.

Well, this is the Christmas Miracle we where all waiting for 2 years ago, that never happend. Now, like most things in life, it comes when you least expect it. :D

Merry Christmas to All,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'd definitely be interested in getting the newer boards with more RAM and professionally installed.

I know it will take a while, but please do let us know when it will be available. The older boards can be resold I'm sure, for other projects. :)

omg yay i will def be trading in my pandora as i use it as a pocket pc :) and im glad to see that things are going well

This is totally awesome news! I only hope that a flood of "upgraders" doesn't significantly delay the rest of us getting ours! But with stable production, I assume it shouldn't be an issue.

ED, I have no idea how you've managed to find the psychological resources to get through all this, but it's a really impressive feat.

this 512mb shouldnt be a problem everyone has old sd cards lying about use this file and run virtual memory http://repo.openpand...s-0.1-slaeshjag ive been using it and it works a charm.
Yes, that is a good tip. But remember that the SD-writing speeds are quite important if you're trying to simulate RAM. Of course it cannot approach RAM speedwise, but there is a big difference between extremely slow virtual memory and very slow! So, use some high speed SD-cards, or more preferable, a high-speed USB-stick!

Extremely neat news there ED. I keep finding myself astonished that this project dodges all hells and ends up in development heaven, time after time. It's simply amazing considering, eh well, everything!

Keep it up as always, still waiting for my Pandora (and a mail-reply), so I am just thrilled with the fact that I'm going to get my patience worth of RAM! It's fucking christmas! :D

this 512mb shouldnt be a problem everyone has old sd cards lying about use this file and run virtual memory http://repo.openpand...s-0.1-slaeshjag ive been using it and it works a charm.

Swap is really really slow, at least for me. Swap is no replacement for RAM, its just a desperate move.
Its only slow if you use a cheap card im using a 2GB Kingston class 10sdhc and it runs as fast as i could hope for web pages take 2 seconds tops how fast is fast enough?

Double the RAM? Sounds cool. Should help quite a bit for those using these as a portable computer, and maybe for emulators that are RAM hogs.

I'm seriously debating to use ta check to buy one of these, or a new phone to augment my iControlpad. The ONLY thing I am worried about is lead time. I didn't order last year due to all the problems (heck, I STILL wouldn't have one if I had ordered last year! Although I know most everyone has been waiting for years, but eplaining to my wife I was gonna drop 500 USD and not get a product for a year or more was a bit hard). It'd be easier to convince her if I can tell her I'd prolly have it by summer.

Double the RAM? Sounds cool. Should help quite a bit for those using these as a portable computer, and maybe for emulators that are RAM hogs.

I'm seriously debating to use ta check to buy one of these, or a new phone to augment my iControlpad. The ONLY thing I am worried about is lead time. I didn't order last year due to all the problems (heck, I STILL wouldn't have one if I had ordered last year! Although I know most everyone has been waiting for years, but eplaining to my wife I was gonna drop 500 USD and not get a product for a year or more was a bit hard). It'd be easier to convince her if I can tell her I'd prolly have it by summer.

Since September 2011, the preordering is 10 USD, the rest needs to be paid when the unit is ready to ship ;)

This is fantastic news!

Also, will RMA'ed pandoras needing a new board get one with upgraded RAM?
If I had to guess, I would say the answer is 'not necessarily, but probably yes.'

It does raise some interesting questions though... are we still expecting *anything* more out of CC?

At what point do they wash their hands of the project? Have they done that already or do they still have some bits and pieces that might conceivably be used to complete more boards?

If they have finished with the project did you recover your testing rigs?

- Neelix

Congratulations ED and team!

This is promising news! To be honest the Pandora has been in production before so having a complete smooth first run lived up to expectation ;)

Everyone at the team and on the board here have a good holiday and keep counting them fingers till ten!!

Back