You didn't expect this, I guess.

If we really want a case with absence of color, we need the Pyra to have a clear case, the only correct choice for any electronic device.
As my chemistry teacher would point out, you have to specify both colourless and transparent, not 'clear'; as an aqueous solution of copper sulphate is 'clear' (has an opacity of close to zero at certain wavelengths) but is certainly not colourless. I guess you don't want the case to have diffuse scattering (be translucent) , but you might be interested in iridescent, pearlescent*, labradorescent, opalescent, aventurescent, or adularescent cases. (Aventurescece is pretty funky: I have some goldstone)

*Some shampoos are pearlescent, which is usually done by putting 1-2% of Glycol Distearate in the formulation

I did consider making the distinction between clear colourless and clear coloured, but in common parlance at least if you call something clear or transparent without a colour modifier it's assumed to be colourless (or white).

I'd advise against putting too many ideas into people's heads at the moment. I've seen car paints that seem a little labradorescent (I forget the term they use for multicoloured paints in the industry), but for the time being the choice is between matte painted and 'chome'.

View attachment 35870
Didn't you already get samples of matte black and chrome when you did this video?
Are you trying a different company? Are you just wanting to see what the chrome looks like when the case is properly cleaned?
In the video you said you actually preferred the matte black, has your opinion changed?

We're trying a slightly different color coating here which will make things a little more matte, same for the black.
However, we will now have to wait a bit - due to Corona, the company is closing down until early April (at least). I'll continue with everything else that still needs to be done though, of course.

About the color discussion:
Don't forget about additive and subtractive colors. Additive colors is what you have on your monitor: You have R, G and B LIGHTS!. LIGHTS is the important thing here. If a value is 0, it means the light is off. So #000 is black, whereas #FFF is white, because all the lights add up to a full spectrum (which is white).

Subtractive is the opposite. You have a light with an (ideally) full spectrum of colors (which would be white). That light falls onto an object. The object ABSORBS part of the light and reflects the remaining light. So, for example, if you have a full light spectrum and you have an object, that substracts all GREEN, then that object would have the color PURPLE (as red and blue remain).

See the difference? Lights ADD together until they have a full spectrum (which would be white), whereas non-glowing objects ABSORB part of the light - which gives them their color.

That's why you can't compare these :)

BTW: The reason why LCDs use inverters should be clear: The backlight is WHITE (full spectrum). So anything that shows something needs to absorb something from the white - which is electronically not easily possible.
So the inverter turns the white backlight into black :)

I'm also a little anxious to see the heatpipe and heatsink installed. Do we know how effective they are in terms of what clock speeds the Pyra may be capable of? Slightly concerned with that 5 week lead time... to what extent have heatsinks been tested?

Those heatpipes and heatsinks have been installed in various prototypes for over two years now. We even made pictures with a heat sink camera at GamesCom.
They will not allow you to use full CPU power for hours and hours, but whereas the unit ran hot within seconds when compiling (and throttled within seconds too), this didn't occur for more than 20 minutes with the heatsink installed.

We're trying a slightly different color coating here which will make things a little more matte, same for the black.
However, we will now have to wait a bit - due to Corona, the company is closing down until early April (at least). I'll continue with everything else that still needs to be done though, of course.

About the color discussion:
Don't forget about additive and subtractive colors. Additive colors is what you have on your monitor: You have R, G and B LIGHTS!. LIGHTS is the important thing here. If a value is 0, it means the light is off. So #000 is black, whereas #FFF is white, because all the lights add up to a full spectrum (which is white).

Subtractive is the opposite. You have a light with an (ideally) full spectrum of colors (which would be white). That light falls onto an object. The object ABSORBS part of the light and reflects the remaining light. So, for example, if you have a full light spectrum and you have an object, that substracts all GREEN, then that object would have the color PURPLE (as red and blue remain).

See the difference? Lights ADD together until they have a full spectrum (which would be white), whereas non-glowing objects ABSORB part of the light - which gives them their color.

That's why you can't compare these :)

BTW: The reason why LCDs use inverters should be clear: The backlight is WHITE (full spectrum). So anything that shows something needs to absorb something from the white - which is electronically not easily possible.
So the inverter turns the white backlight into black :)

Those heatpipes and heatsinks have been installed in various prototypes for over two years now. We even made pictures with a heat sink camera at GamesCom.
They will not allow you to use full CPU power for hours and hours, but whereas the unit ran hot within seconds when compiling (and throttled within seconds too), this didn't occur for more than 20 minutes with the heatsink installed.
Be safe. Little more delay doesn't matter now.

Cool (pun intended), thanks for the feedback, and sorry I guessed I missed that from previous post(s). :)

About the color discussion...

Perhaps it's time to change the title of this thread!

It's hard to know if there's anything that we can expect at this point.

If there's anything I want during the apocalypse, then it would be a Pyra (well, aside from my better half, of course).

I have not disassembled my prototype and don't plan to for the moment. Did the prototypes that shipped get heat sinks?

We're all feeling the impacts of this global pandemic. It should not surprise anyone that this is going to impact production of things like the Pyra.

[derailment - sorry] Everyone do your best to keep yourselves and those around you safe, sound (body and mind) and maintain social distance. If we could all do this without senselessly hoarding a multi-year or lifetime supply of bog roll okay? Oh, and for all those folk who bought twenty dozen eggs in one shot - no, you cannot use store bought eggs to grow chickens, eggs don't freeze well, and even using a refrigerator you need to eat all of those inside of 3 weeks, maybe 4. Hope those folks really like eating eggs.

It doesn't matter when other option is NEVER :)
Never a delay is not an option anymore. Besides, even if it was then it would matter because never a delay is better than a delay, if all other things are equal (I prefer quality over rushed junk).

If you meant that the other option is that the Pyra never comes then it does matter even more because the longer the delay the more chance that such an option will become a reality.

What's little? Another year?
Dude, we can't even get any date on the end of the lockdown from EU parlament... so ask them that date, then add two months to that date, and that is the release date :)

But you have the wrong mindframe:
We pre-paid for the JOURNEY. Getting all details of pre-production. What choices need to be made (even with feedback from us, how cool is that?), how come we need so many testruns and that it is possible to let the machine solder transistors upside down; only for them to be resoldered manually. We've seen re-designs, discarded ideas. Learned a far bit about injection moulding. Learned about Murphy's law. We've seen it grow, like a baby in the womb. So when you finally get that Pyra in your hands, it feels like you birthed it.
THAT journey, with all the problems IS what makes the Pyra valuable. Just to know how much effort, how many hands and machines how much travel time, how much planning, how much money it costs. In that, I've grown attached to the members of the forum, and they feel like friends, some I reply to more often than family... THAT. my friend, is what, in the end, you are buying...

The whole journey is 90 % of the fun on the Pyra, expect for EvilDragon, this was the same as on the Pandora
The Device itself is also nice, but every Company can Deliver the Device, that’s booooring,
This whole Community thing and the open development makes the whole thing special

Whit best regards, Matthias

Dude, we can't even get any date on the end of the lockdown from EU parlament... so ask them that date, then add two months to that date, and that is the release date :)
So then "little" means any time at all.

But you have the wrong mindframe:
We pre-paid for the JOURNEY. Getting all details of pre-production. What choices need to be made (even with feedback from us, how cool is that?), how come we need so many testruns and that it is possible to let the machine solder transistors upside down; only for them to be resoldered manually. We've seen re-designs, discarded ideas. Learned a far bit about injection moulding. Learned about Murphy's law. We've seen it grow, like a baby in the womb. So when you finally get that Pyra in your hands, it feels like you birthed it.
THAT journey, with all the problems IS what makes the Pyra valuable. Just to know how much effort, how many hands and machines how much travel time, how much planning, how much money it costs. In that, I've grown attached to the members of the forum, and they feel like friends, some I reply to more often than family... THAT. my friend, is what, in the end, you are buying...
I pre-paid because the Pyra is a cool device. The journey may add some charm but it's not what I paid for. Either way I'm starting to get a bit afraid that the Pyra may not reach me at all. I'm a bit worried that the COVID-19 panic may prevent the pre-order Pyras from ever being released. If I really just wanted to follow the story and did not care whether it reaches a good conclusion then I would have just lurked on these boards and not put my money into it.

To me delays matter mostly because the more the Pyra gets delayed the less chance there is that it ever gets released.

Back