Which Pyra model do you plan to get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? (Poll)

Do you plan to get the 3G model or WiFi only model?

• 3G model

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • WiFi model (no 3G/4G)

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Stick to WiFi unless a 4G model is announced

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Wait for a possible 4G model

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Wait for possible Pyra upgrades

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • No Pyra for me

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

I thought space has deliberately been left on the board for the larger antenna? The problem was cost.
Could be, I may be mistaken. I think a couple of us have gotten a couple facts mixed up (including especially me). Forgive me if I am wrong.

Join the 3G club! :) I hopefully like Kiga said maybe we will be able to plug in a 4G when it is available. Maybe, just maybe :)
I think it's more likely it will be a mainboard swap like with the Pandora upgrades now. The old mainboards would be sold for a lower price.
It would be awful since even the processor will be removable... wait a mainboard without processor is cheaper.

But I also remember the reason why there isn't a 4G is because the size of the antenna, which was mentioned again earlier on this topic.
I thought space has deliberately been left on the board for the larger antenna?

The problem was cost.
ED said that the problem was that there is several 4G types depending on the country, otherwise people who are ready to pay for 3G would pay for 4G.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought ED said that there would be no need to solder
Do you remember the context for that? He may have been talking about something else or has a different plan in mind. The PHS8 does also come in a plug card format, if you remember him talking about no need to solder he may be planning to use the plug card and I just missed it, but at 50x34mm it is quite a bit larger than a soldered solution.
In my remembrances someone asked him if we will need soldering for changing the 3G module and he said that it is a module so no need for soldering. Come to think, yes a module is removable and ED always talked about it with the terms "module", not "chip". So he likely will use the card format unless he changed his mind.

EvilDragon could you enlighten us?
I can do that job.

Look at the Pyra main board (pictures are everywhere around here).

It's soldered directly onto the board.

Look further and see how many pins there are.

It's nothing you can remove and replace.

Maybe I do remember wrong but AFAIK there are even soldered Pins not on the rim of the module but in the center.

No way to reach them with simple solder station.

We talk about it as "3G module" as it's bought as a complete device which is bought as a module including everything necessary and all needed certificates.

That's the "module" part of it.

It's not designed like the Processor on a modular board you can easily swap if you need to.

If you want too upgrade I see only one way: Swat the motherboard and give the old one to someone not needing 4G but 3G is enough (like me at the moment).

Can anyone confirm whether the voice lines from the chip will be used? I want to replace my phone with the Pyra, and I won't be as happy if I cannot.

I thought that was part of the plan, but it would be good to know for sure.  

I was planning on using a bluetooth headset so I could stand around talking to myself, and a wired handset for when I am not running around.

I can do that job. Look at the Pyra main board (pictures are everywhere around here). It's soldered directly onto the board. Look further and see how many pins there are. It's nothing you can remove and replace. Maybe I do remember wrong but AFAIK there are even soldered Pins not on the rim of the module but in the center. No way to reach them with simple solder station. We talk about it as "3G module" as it's bought as a complete device which is bought as a module including everything necessary and all needed certificates. That's the "module" part of it. It's not designed like the Processor on a modular board you can easily swap if you need to. If you want too upgrade I see only one way: Swat the motherboard and give the old one to someone not needing 4G but 3G is enough (like me at the moment).
Thank you :) This should sum up a couple of our questions.

Can anyone confirm whether the voice lines from the chip will be used?
I can state with certainty that ED and gta04 said that they would be connecting the lines and paying the license for voice, but I can't find the original post for it. It's buried below somewhere from a few months back.

WIFI only as long as I can still get GPS, and the keyboard does not have a double wide space key.

Will it support the Hayes command set? For dialing out and such?
Yes. The spec sheet is available somewhere. I'm not entirely certain how I got it anymore, but everything is done through well documented AT commands, most standard and then a bunch for things like starting and reading the GPS, sending an SMS, etc...

I thought GPS receivers used a dedicated serial link and sent a NMEA (standardised across navigation equipment) string a few times a second?

You want it to be on all the time, collecting data, streaming it nowhere? :p

I actually don't know all the details. I had the file with all the information but now I can't find it. :(

Any idea how the Hayes commands will be sent? Like would I be able to start xterm and some serial terminal to send them?

Yeah, I do remember that, it's just supposed to be a tty device, you communicate with it like any other serial port.

I thought GPS receivers used a dedicated serial link and sent a NMEA (standardised across navigation equipment) string a few times a second?
depends on the module.. there are two standards SIRF and NMEA. SIRF is a binary data stream at a higher clock. NMEA is text based......

Will it have a separate audio line for the ringer? One that is connected directly to the speakers and bypasses the analog volume control? I ask because if I have the Pyra muted, and that is not done, I would miss phone calls.

I don't expect they'll do that.

One of the benefits of an analogue audio wheel is the ability to control the volume at any time, to turn it down even when the system would otherwise not allow it.

One of the downsides of an analogue audio wheel is the ability to control the volume at any time, to turn it down even when the system would otherwise not allow it.

If you're worried about missing a call, don't turn the volume down all the way, or hack a buzzer onto a GPIO.

Back