Gpx2 Or Xgp, Which Will You Buy?

Which one of these will you be buying?

• I am an end user and will buy a GPx2.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an end user and will buy a XGp.

• I am an end user and will buy both.

• I am a coder and will buy and code for the GPx2.

• I am a coder and will buy and code for the XGP.

• I am a coder and will buy and code for both.

• I won't buy any of them

• Total voters

DaveC

Internal Development
(If you are a coder and intend to buy one/both but don't plan on coding for either, just vote under "end user")

Just curious as to where these stand at this point. It seems for some reason that the XGP is getting more interest than the GPx2 lately. Lets see what the facts are. No more speculation and guessing. Will the community be united and support one? Or be fragmented to pieces and break up into smaller sub-groups? lets find out.

Which will you get and why?

(I will get a GPx2 as to me it is the most emu-friendly one. Since the Xgp is very PSP-like to me I will stick with my PSP instead of getting XGP)

GPX2 for me

1. It should be available before the end of the year
2. It's probably gonna be a lot cheaper than the XGP
3. Even if the emulation/homebrew totally sucks (unlikely), it's still a good media player for the asking price

That's not to say I won't get an XGP; I'm just sceptical until I see more solid infos.

me?
end user and wont buy either, until there is software on either that i want to use then i'll buy

i agree with Moz, its too early to tell, all you have is speculation of what the GPx2 will have. Sure they say they will have the emus, but how playable will they be?? And i want a system for more than just emu, so GPX2 is pretty worthless to me.

I haven't heard or seen anything software wise for the XGP.

It's to early to tell, i'll wait til at least 6 months after the launch of both systems and see how they each do before I make my decision.

GPX2, and I'm a developer.

There isn't much speculation in my opinion as far as getting the GPX2 -- I don't have a portable video player or portable audio player, and no games for my NDS. I also love NES and Genesis games, which already promise to show up on the GPX2 with a Dr. MD and LJ port.

iignotus posted on Aug 18 2005 at 06:42 PM said:
GPX2, and I'm a developer.

There isn't much speculation in my opinion as far as getting the GPX2 -- I don't have a portable video player or portable audio player, and no games for my NDS. I also love NES and Genesis games, which already promise to show up on the GPX2 with a Dr. MD and LJ port.

Yeah hopefully DrMD will show up on it. As far as LJ, I wouldn't get you hopes up for that. The author (Yoyo) has gone to PSP developement. Hopefully Rlyeh's NES emu will be ported if it makes it out for "fday" though as the source will be available.

Last edited by a moderator:
End user and I'll be buying the GPx2.

I have a 'wait and see' attitude towards the XGP... It depends on what Gamepark does with it whether I get that one or not.

However, I will be buying GPx2 first as I see that as the true GP32 successor.

DaveC posted on Aug 18 2005 at 02:10 PM said:
As far as LJ at I wouldn't get you hopes up for that. The author (Yoyo) has gone to PSP developement. Hopefully Rlyeh's NES emu will be ported if it makes it out for "fday" though as the source will be available.
There're always a bunch of other open-source emulators that are as far along if not further. FCEU is my favorite, and quite honestly LJ doesn't work on my computer, but I heard that LJ was much faster than FCEU, not to mention it's already been ported to the GP32.

Time will tell.

DaveC posted on Aug 18 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
As far as LJ, I wouldn't get you hopes up for that. The author (Yoyo) has gone to PSP developement.
I've lost track now of how many times people have said this to you, but maybe this time the message will sink in - developers like to code for systems that interest them. Yoyo has not 'gone to PSP development' he has gone to a new platform because he got bored with whatever he was developing for before. Sooner or later he will get bored with the PSP and want to move onto something new (some people like me find something they like and stick with it, other people like Yoyo like to play with the latest toys). Don't confuse what gamers want with what coders want - gamers want the latest, greatest, and fastest machines. Coders want something new and unexplored or something that provides a challenge. Yes, the X2 isn't as powerful as a PSP, but that's what makes it interesting to a coder.

getting a GPx2, because its linux based, and emus are more promising, and it looks lots better than the shiny XGP, not to mention the cleaning :p
I'd get a black one anyway if possible, but if the black is as shiny, i probably wont... media player abilities are attracting to me... 14/16 hours of music playback (cant remember exactly) with 2 AA batteries, awesome...for a handheld, a dedicated MP3 player could keep up with that, but never mind. Also I like the fact that it uses SD cards, so I can reuse my Zod's 512 MB card :p

I haven't really followed this news too closely as I plan to just wait until they are released and make my decision after they have been around for a while.

What is the difference between the two?

shinneri posted on Aug 18 2005 at 07:42 PM said:
End user and I'll be buying the GPx2.

However, I will be buying GPx2 first as I see that as the true GP32 successor.

Same for me :)

don't know enough about both
probably don't care too much either. i'll wait like a year and see "where the scene stands", as it is i don't even use my FLU enough to warrant owning it!

actually i kind of don't look fwd to them, in a way, as they will signify a departure from the GP32 scene, I would imagine. maybe not at first, but like i said.. after a year and more than a couple of people have thier mitts on 'em, then they'll probably start gaining some speed and take some crowd away from the current gen (as makes sense.. and always happens)

truth be told, if i had the cash, i'd just be happy trading up to a BLU for my purposes.

woogal posted on Aug 18 2005 at 08:40 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 18 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
As far as LJ, I wouldn't get you hopes up for that.  The author (Yoyo) has gone to PSP developement.
I've lost track now of how many times people have said this to you, but maybe this time the message will sink in - developers like to code for systems that interest them. Yoyo has not 'gone to PSP development' he has gone to a new platform because he got bored with whatever he was developing for before. Sooner or later he will get bored with the PSP and want to move onto something new (some people like me find something they like and stick with it, other people like Yoyo like to play with the latest toys). Don't confuse what gamers want with what coders want - gamers want the latest, greatest, and fastest machines. Coders want something new and unexplored or something that provides a challenge. Yes, the X2 isn't as powerful as a PSP, but that's what makes it interesting to a coder.

Well I didn't say that he WONT port LJ I just said don't get your hopes up. It is more likely that he won't be developing for the GPx2 than that he will. First it has to interest him enough to spend the money on it, then it has to interest him enough to actually code for it. The GPx2 is pretty similar to the GP32 and he abandoned that. Will an extra 30 MHz over the GP32 be compelling enough after experiencing the brute force power of the PSP? Who knows. There are alot of "ifs" there. He may do it, but again I wouldn't get your hopes up.

DaveC posted on Aug 18 2005 at 06:09 PM said:
Well I didn't say that he WONT port LJ I just said don't get your hopes up. It is more likely that he won't be developing for the GPx2 than that he will.
I think I should mention that you certainly don't need the original developer of an open-source project to port it to another platform. Also, LittleJohn is hardly the only FOSS NES emulator out there. I can matter-of-factly state that there will be some slamming NES emulation on the GPX2.

Well the numbers mark the GPX2 as the clear winner. Not surprising, since GPX2 is better geared to 2D and homebrew, which is what most people on this site will be interested in.

I think GPX2 will definitely find its audience. But wonder how XGP will fare in the long run. How will GamePark position XGP exactly? They have a long hard road ahead, and I wish them good luck. GPH on the other hand will probably do well, as it seems the GP32 audience has already adopted their system as heir to the GP32 throne.

My GPX2 is already pre-ordered. I wonder how long it will be before there's actually any software to run on it. :p

I've missed alot of this new "xgp gpx2" stuff so... erm...

What's the difference between the two? Both seem to be from Gamepark...

Edit: Ah. Ok. So the company split into two, the GPx2 is more of a homebrew system, the XGP is going to be more like a GBA or such. Ok.

Seems wierd, but fair enough. :blink:

So if we want emulated stuff, homebrews, text adventures and things like support for rollup keyboards (which would make note-taking in class sooo much easier without the bulky laptop), we go for the GPx2?

Back