Which Pyra model do you plan to get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? (Poll)

Do you plan to get the 3G model or WiFi only model?

• 3G model

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • WiFi model (no 3G/4G)

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Stick to WiFi unless a 4G model is announced

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Wait for a possible 4G model

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Wait for possible Pyra upgrades

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • No Pyra for me

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

I'd like the Pyra to have a more advanced audio out solution, so that I can listen to music and have an emulator pumping out low level audio at the same time. Not all emulators at present have volume control, so it'd be nice if the audio out could simulate three or four different channels which could have separate volume levels. I'm not sure how easy that is to do under ALSA though, but it could solve the ringer problem.

I rarely leave the house with my Pandora anyway so it could be kind of moot, but if I'm traveling with the Pyra I'd just tether it to my phone. There's no way I'd try to make it replace my phone entirely.

I actually do travel with my Pandora a lot, it rides in my laptop bag. However my smartphone is much more convenient for making voice calls the the Pyra will be and I can turn it into a mobile hotspot in seconds.. I can see the benifits of having cell connection for data, but with the 3G version most likely not working on my US carrier and the cost of getting an extra SIM card for a 4G service... I plan on sticking with the WiFi only version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't expect they'll do that.

One of the benefits of an analogue audio wheel is the ability to control the volume at any time, to turn it down even when the system would otherwise not allow it.

One of the downsides of an analogue audio wheel is the ability to control the volume at any time, to turn it down even when the system would otherwise not allow it.

If you're worried about missing a call, don't turn the volume down all the way, or hack a buzzer onto a GPIO.
I'm also concerned about what will happen if I'm listening to music, I would want a ring to come out of the speakers, even if I have headphones in. I'll put up with it anyway if they don't, though.

I was listening to music last night and plugged in a DVD drive to pull down some more music off disc. The system made a beep (that is normally near inaudible) at ear-bleeding levels and nearly blew the headphones off my head.

I'm also concerned about what will happen if I'm listening to music, I would want a ring to come out of the speakers, even if I have headphones in. I'll put up with it anyway if they don't, though.
I'm also pretty sure the Pyra, like the Pandora, will be hardware switched so that when you plug in the headphones it disconnects the speakers, but I haven't got anything but instinct to back that up.Again, if you want a dedicated ringer then it'll probably be best to hack something small in.

All phones I've used to listen to music on also disconnect the speaker/ringer when you plug headphones in. They don't ring the ringer when the phone rings, but pause/mute the music and ring the headphones.

Back