Which Pyra model do you plan to get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? (Poll)

Do you plan to get the 3G model or WiFi only model?

• 3G model

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • WiFi model (no 3G/4G)

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Stick to WiFi unless a 4G model is announced

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Wait for a possible 4G model

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Wait for possible Pyra upgrades

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • No Pyra for me

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

3G/4G only makes sense if:

- you don't have a mobile phone that can do tethering

- you expect to use your Pyra as your primary mobile device (which is the case if you don't have a phone, I guess)

- you have no access to wifi networks where you go

- you need to be connected 100% of the time.

There's definitely some potential users that meet these criteria, but that's going to be a minority, I think. 

While my phone can do tethering it is getting on in years and the thought of not having to carry two devices is appealing.

Mainly waiting for 4G, but would be nice if Pyra upgrades happens too.

Anyway: Wifi, because if I need 4G anyway I use my phone to tether to the Pandora/Pyra. There's really no point for me to get a SECOND 3g/4g subscription just for the Pyra, it would be wasting so much money on a monthly basis.
...Or just keep one and use it on the Pyra.
Note that the PS Vita also had the two offerings and only the Wifi model sold well.
Not only was it 3G and not 4G, it didn't have voice.

I'll probably buy the 3G version then, but for the GPS, not the phoney stuff.

Also, why are we calling the no-3G version the wifi version?

They both have wifi!

Last edited by a moderator:

They both have wifi!
I guess it should technically be called the 'wifi-only version.'  With phones and tablets (eg. Samsung Galaxy 8.0) they have the WiFi version, a 3G version and a LTE version.  They all have WiFi connectivity - the WiFi version only has WiFi, and the other have the 3G/LTE + WiFi - hence the higher price most of the time.  That might be why Majin set up the poll the way he did. 

-Glyph Reader

They both have wifi!
Well ordinarily I called it WiFi (no 3G) model but I changed it for simplicity. Maybe I should change it back so that way it doesn't confuse anyone. Sorry about that. I guess it is a better idea to say no 3G.

Should I remove the "Wait for possible Pyra upgrades" and "no Pyra for me" choices? No one is voting on them and it doesn't seem like they really make much sense for this poll. Mainly because the people who are coming to this discussion are most likely planning on buying a Pyra sometime after release.

Mainly waiting for 4G, but would be nice if Pyra upgrades happens too.

Anyway: Wifi, because if I need 4G anyway I use my phone to tether to the Pandora/Pyra. There's really no point for me to get a SECOND 3g/4g subscription just for the Pyra, it would be wasting so much money on a monthly basis.
...Or just keep one and use it on the Pyra.
In my area some suppliers who offer Data plans allow you to enable datas on 4 or 5 devices all for one price. and no I am not talking about family plans (though I am sure you can see it that way). I believe it's just Verizon and AT&T who are doing this. I have a flyer offer right now for doing that for $40 a month from AT&T but I'm not interested.

Should I remove the "Wait for possible Pyra upgrades" and "no Pyra for me" choices? No one is voting on them and it doesn't seem like they really make much sense for this poll. Mainly because the people who are coming to this discussion are most likely planning on buying a Pyra sometime after release.
Yes, you should.
In my area some suppliers who offer Data plans allow you to enable datas on 4 or 5 devices all for one price.
This is new to me.

With phones and tablets (eg. Samsung Galaxy 8.0) they have the WiFi version, a 3G version and a LTE version.
And that seems like silly marketing-speak.

Wifi has no impact at all on whether or non the device has 3G or not.

You might as well use any other feature they share in common.

How about a 3G model and a USB model? or a 3G model and a analogue nubs model?

Keep it simple.

The choice is:

• Pyra with 3G & GPS
  • Pyra without 3G & GPS

There's no question: 3G and upgrade to 4G as soon as I have a 4G Sim Card.
Well...I guess that's what opinion 5 can stand for then, the "wait for possible Pyra upgrades" :) maybe I will rephrase it eventually.

With phones and tablets (eg. Samsung Galaxy 8.0) they have the WiFi version, a 3G version and a LTE version.
And that seems like silly marketing-speak.

Wifi has no impact at all on whether or non the device has 3G or not.

You might as well use any other feature they share in common.

How about a 3G model and a USB model? or a 3G model and a analogue nubs model?

Keep it simple.

The choice is:

• Pyra with 3G & GPS
  • Pyra without 3G & GPS
Well, if it is really necessary I will do that :) I want to try to make you guys happy at least. I think they call it 3G model and WiFi model because they are referring to the internet type. So for instance, 3G obviously has wireless or else you have no 3G and just WiFi means there is no data plan. That maybe why they call it that, if that makes sense.

I think they call it 3G model and WiFi model because they are referring to the internet type.
Its not like people don't use wifi because their model supports 3G.

wifi is cheaper and faster

3G is very much an additional feature, rather than an alternative - you use it when wifi isn't an option.

The marketeers just want to give the impression that the cut-down version with fewer features and a lower price has a special selling point....

I would like to try to replace my Galaxy Note II with a Pyra.  The requirements are a bit steep though.

I'll need 4g connectivity - hopefully those units will be coming along too?

I'll need a way to install Android as a virtual machine (more or less) so that I can get my RSA token and secure email client through it.  Preferably be able to install TWO Android VM instances - one for work and one for games.

I rarely make phone calls with my Note II.  To use the Pyra as a phone, I'll be using a bluetooth pen style handset.

So - if a 4g version is available at launch, I'll jump on that.  If not, I'll probably get the US 3g version and switch carriers.  Then there will be a time span of using two devices while waiting for the Pyra's software to catch up to my needs.

If I have to choose only one device (Pyra, phone, tablet or laptop) to have 3G, then I would pick the Pyra. I can use 3G mostly for on-the-go reading/writing of emails, web browsing, ssh, and IRC. All of those things benefit from a physical keyboard, accurate touch screen, relatively big screen (5" is big for a phone), and normal GNU/Linux software. Pyra is the best fit.

Definitely the 3G version to replace my phablet. I don't think I'll need 4G for a while, 3G is fast enough for email, XMPP, VoIP and browsing. And maybe the German government gets its act together and makes free city-wide WLAN possible, then I'll need 4G even less.

Definitely the 3G version to replace my phablet. I don't think I'll need 4G for a while, 3G is fast enough for email, XMPP, VoIP and browsing. And maybe the German government gets its act together and makes free city-wide WLAN possible, then I'll need 4G even less.
I'm in the same boat, I just hope my company still offers a rather "dumb" phone by the time I'm able to afford a Pyra

Awesome! The 3G goers have showed up! I don't feel so alone anymore :) It looks like there are some big plans for Pyra users when they receive their model. That's great. I am very excited about the Pyra. It should be my next ultimate device since my Pandora already replaced all my consoles and mobile browsing.

Back