Where are we now?

Parents taking care of their own kids used to be the norm! Better just load those bastards off to some stranger and focus on things that really matter: jobs!

Things cost money. We no longer live in a time where one parent can afford to be stay at home, provided they make more working than daycare costs.

Or did you miss that things like houses have greatly appreciated in value?

In order to ensure my daughter is able to have money set aside for college and has inheritance, a nice place to live, and a good upbringing. Well everything in life has trade offs.

No.

No.

I guess ED will order the actual plastic material in simple black, so it can be coated with different colours later. Many people prefer dark colours anyways so black is a nice base for that.

Frankly, it's not that easy:
ED wants the base colour of the plastic to be the same as the coating, so that if the coating comes off, no other colour shines through.
So the colour of the plastic has to be the colour of the coating and a change will need new cases, which are expensive.

The right to waste my time casting inconsequential votes for bad candidates is one that I will gladly abandon.

Anyway, thanks for being clear.
Yes, but if you don't vote the wrong lizard might get in.
Post automatically merged:

ED wants the base colour of the plastic to be the same as the coating, so that if the coating comes off, no other colour shines through.
So the colour of the plastic has to be the colour of the coating and a change will need new cases, which are expensive.
Which is sensible. Having a single colour of Pyra also simplifies stock control. For those who really want a different colour of case, you can always paint it with nail varnish (assuming the solvent doesn't melt the plastic). Many people used to personalise their mobile phones in that way. Then you can have sparkly pink, or deep blue, or a national flag or some other logo that symbolises your individualism.

The Pyra logo will probably suffice as logo for individualism—especially if you want to use your Pyra as phone. You're going to stick out for sure once you pull our your Pyra for a call instead of an iSpyGlass52G++ or whatever the then current model is. Though if I ever manage to install NixOS then I would love to replace the Pyra logo with a λ. I hope that is not considered blasphemy.

I mostly want to colour based on what I think looks good and on what helps keep it cool. I think that black is a safe choice aesthetically but it's terrible for heat management. Maybe I would actually prefer white solely because it's good for keeping the Pyra cool in warm weather.

Well, ok, that makes the process more complicated of course, if ED really plans to produce Pyras in more than one colour that way. I've heared that the coating will be pretty durable, so it should not wear off that easily. At least for colours like dark/charcoal grey a black plastic matrial underneeth could do it. Will loook better at least than a grey plastic and darker coatings, if they ever wear off.

The Pyra logo will probably suffice as logo for individualism—especially if you want to use your Pyra as phone. You're going to stick out for sure once you pull our your Pyra for a call instead of an iSpyGlass52G++ or whatever the then current model is. Though if I ever manage to install NixOS then I would love to replace the Pyra logo with a λ. I hope that is not considered blasphemy.
The pyra logo on the lid was always kept a separate part to allow people to swap it out for their own one, especially now that 3D printing is a thing. I think you're on safe ground there.

I have a project in my mind to modify the logo to allow for a small gap to hold a microSD card in it.
Isn’t there already a microSD card holder? Or are you thinking of having dual microSD ports to allow for cloning without having to plug in a peripheral card reader-writer?

Isn’t there already a microSD card holder?

Yes, and I'll have to check if we have have that chip in, and still boot from the eMMC, and retain access to it (from what I remember, not). So if the eMMC dies/gets corrupted (happened to me with the Pandora, where I'd have to reflash), you pop open the logo, get the microSD card, and take out the battery, put the backup OS in and you are ready to go again...

TL;DR: It's to rotate out, as a backup.

addendum: Depending on speed, I could try it the other way around. Use the eMMC as the backup OS.

Isn’t there already a microSD card holder? Or are you thinking of having dual microSD ports to allow for cloning without having to plug in a peripheral card reader-writer?
You never have to plug in a card reader. You might have to plug in a micro-sd to full-size sd adaptor into on of your spare front side SD ports, but that's it.

Edit @FBnil: as I understand it, the internal microSD card is connected to the CPU using the same lines as the eMMC, so at least if it's formatted correctly, it'll be bootable.

Edit @FBnil: as I understand it, the internal microSD card is connected to the CPU using the same lines as the eMMC, so at least if it's formatted correctly, it'll be bootable.
I hope it is, I'd like to try NixOS on it but would not want to erease PyraOS. Surely I'm not the only one who's going to play with OSes without wanting to permanently delete the stock OS?

You never have to plug in a card reader. You might have to plug in a micro-sd to full-size sd adaptor into on of your spare front side SD ports, but that's it.

Even if you want to clone a card?
Post automatically merged:

I hope it is, I'd like to try NixOS on it but would not want to erease PyraOS. Surely I'm not the only one who's going to play with OSes without wanting to permanently delete the stock OS?
Couldn’t we use something like E2B, PINN NOOBS, Ventoy’s bootable USB, or VMs?

Last edited:
Yes, plug two micro-sd cards into the two slots using micro sd adaptors if you're happy using dd or cp or something else on the emmc to do the copying. Or remove the battery and put on mu-SD card in the combined SIM and mu-sd card slot if you need a spare big SD slot for your apps or something. You only need an adaptor over USB if you are using two of the three SD card slots already, or you don't fancy powering the machine down to remove the battery I suppose.

It makes sense if you are using it under sun, but I think mostly we would use Pyra no under sun on hot station. On other side, would it better a more reflective, like mirror, color? The problem would be a more reflective color would be more slippery, I suppose.

Prior to that: white is not a discreet color in a phone/pocket computer. Black is very discreet and neutral.

If initially there will be only one color (later you could be other cases with other colors as accessories), I think it must be a color most of use can use, even if it isn't the color of our choice.

PD: I hope someday there be an aluminum case :) In Pandora it was near.
In the shade a black object radiates more effectively, so for me black. Or red, or blue...

So black would be cooler in the shade? I think I once heard something like that; someone saying that radiators would be more effective if they were black instead of white.

So black would be cooler in the shade? I think I once heard something like that; someone saying that radiators would be more effective if they were black instead of white.
Well, actually all radiators are black, just in the infrared spectrum, where it matters. Visible spectrum is white tough. Thats the reason why there is special color for radiators.
That's nor your usual white color, but black in infrared and perfectly white in visible spectrum.
Its just like a blue color, that reflects light of short wavelength and absorbs light of longer wavelengths. It's just, that the wavelength difference between absorption and reflection is bigger.

Back