What Is Your Worst Fear About The Pandora ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fusion_power said:
I only fear ONE thing:

That the Devs have no acess to the Hardware OMAP Chipset Features and everything is to do in slow Software mode (no 2D or 3D Hardware Acceleration, no DSP support, no chance to use the SGX unit, no CPU Auto clocking...)

At the Moment these fear isn't washed away... :(
Actually we already have hardware acceleration in the form of OpenGL ES 2.0. We don't have direct hardware access, but from a gaming perspective that only means we don't have access to the framebuffer (not usually accessed directly anyway). Unless I'm missing something.

Aside from that, afaik the DSP and auto clocking have already been used/tested. Not 100% sure on those however.

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
It's funny.

Most exciting projects I've gotten involved in have all failed to deliver in community-shattering ways, to the point where, if the company is still hanging on, it's a mere ghost. (The links I've provided are only a few. There's more that I can't think of off the top of my head.)

So, here I am, yet again putting money down on a yet-to-be-released product that I think will serve me in big ways.

And, yet again, the situation looks promising.

So, my biggest fear? The company fails to deliver a product that fulfills its promises.

Ah! you are cursed, retract your pre-order. Leper leper!

Someone will kidnap all of the developers and sacrifice them to Ctulhu

ShyGuy said:
fusion_power said:
I only fear ONE thing:

That the Devs have no acess to the Hardware OMAP Chipset Features and everything is to do in slow Software mode (no 2D or 3D Hardware Acceleration, no DSP support, no chance to use the SGX unit, no CPU Auto clocking...)

At the Moment these fear isn't washed away... :(
Actually we already have hardware acceleration in the form of OpenGL ES 2.0. We don't have direct hardware access, but from a gaming perspective that only means we don't have access to the framebuffer (not usually accessed directly anyway). Unless I'm missing something.

Aside from that, afaik the DSP and auto clocking have already been used/tested. Not 100% sure on those however.

The SGX driver isn't out, yet, AFAIK.

mali said:
I'm pretty sure I read something about it already being used, but ... can't remember where.

L and R buttons failing too early like the GBA and DS. I'd also rather not have any dead pixels. :)

ShyGuy said:
mali said:
I'm pretty sure I read something about it already being used, but ... can't remember where.

I would be very happy, if you could find the post, where you read that :)
The last thing I heard was, that the driver comes out end of the year. Maybe with the Pandora or soon after.

God Ginrai said:
fade said:
(touch wood)
Do you mean "knock on wood"? Because "touch wood" just seems to have sexual connotations.

-God Ginrai

Only if you recognise these things ;) An yeah it may be the british usage.

ShyGuy said:
Squidge and a few others with either TI eval boards or the Rev 0 boards have drivers under NDA. They're not in a state that could be called ready for public consumption more because of potential licensing issues with what's there right now. It works, and supposedly works decently enough- you just can't get them without signing your firstborn away on a contract with your own blood right now... ;)

Svartalf said:
ShyGuy said:
Squidge and a few others with either TI eval boards or the Rev 0 boards have drivers under NDA. They're not in a state that could be called ready for public consumption more because of potential licensing issues with what's there right now. It works, and supposedly works decently enough- you just can't get them without signing your firstborn away on a contract with your own blood right now... ;)

Thanks for the info :)

WarmFluffyUK said:
My worst fear is that we won't get it before Christmas and have to wait until the new year.
We are doing everything we can to make sure that does not happen.

It is the LCDs which have the worst lead time, we have around 600 already and are waiting on the rest. If anything causes a delay I'd say it's going to be the LCD supply - fortunately the LCDs are not essential for making everything else so it's not like we can't make all the cases and PCBs while we wait :)

craigix said:
We are doing everything we can to make sure that does not happen.

It is the LCDs which have the worst lead time, we have around 600 already and are waiting on the rest. If anything causes a delay I'd say it's going to be the LCD supply - fortunately the LCDs are not essential for making everything else so it's not like we can't make all the cases and PCBs while we wait :)
Seems like LCDs tend to cause delays anywhere. I remember my Dell laptop being delayed a few weeks due to a shortage of displays at the time.

I'm still curious about the hinge and how it is constructed. :)

craigix said:
Do you mean the hinge support in the case, or who makes the actual hinge part?
The support itself. Knowing who makes it would be interesting however. You might have already mentioned it before, sometimes I miss things despite reading the forums nearly every day. :)

my worst fears:

1st) Pandora arriving defective and no-one caring about it, or me sending in good faith the pandora back and never returning back fixed (or months).

2nd) screwed pixels

3rd) realizing that pandora is a just toy( too slow to do anything practical like coding, controlling my robotic arm with usb camera following movements, interacting with wiimote, carrying out in a mountain shelter and watch divx... no compatibilty with common usb periphericals, no driver support, shitty gain wifi....)

4th) scandalous imprecise touch screen

and last but not least AT ALL....

UNCONVENTIONAL SCREWS <- taking the pandora apart will be the first thing I'll do once assumed it's working flawlessly :)

but I'm quite sure that pandora will be a really pleasant surprise ^__^ my new digital Victorinox

My biggest fear is that the community will be soured by an influx of users making requests and suggestions that are directly contrary to the project or simply impossible, and that these requests and suggestions will come up over, and over, and over again, sometimes within hours of the last time they were brought up.
Oh... wait... nevermind.

Bats! I guess my biggest fear is bats!

Opening my DS was a huge pain in the ass because of the triwing screws (really low quality triwing screwdriver stripped them pretty much right away, had to drill 'em out). I highly doubt the Pandora will use anything other than little philips heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back