What Do You Think The Pandora Can Do

nate9771

Still Fresh
what do you think the most pandora can do :p (doom 3 :rolleyes: ,n64 emu,dreamcast)

I'm pretty sure it'll be able to play a video of Crysis within a few weeks of the first batch being out.

mazza558 said:
I'm pretty sure it'll be able to play Crysis within a few weeks of the first batch being out.
:p im sure it will

Last edited by a moderator:
aid me in my psychosomatic paranoid delusional journey to the depths of the human consciousness

PoisonedV said:
aid me in my psychosomatic paranoid delusional journey to the depths of the human consciousness
Well obviously. That's like, a core feature.

Doom 3 and Dreamcast are probably going to be the limits I would guess.

I think Doom 3 is more likely though. I'm hoping dreamcast will make it though. If it does, then the Pandora is worth infinitely more to me (but since I already pre-ordered then it's obviously worth plenty to me now)

Even if DC is emulated, I doubt it run at good frame rates. You can hope if you want, I just don't expect to ever see it happen to a truly playable/enjoyable degree. But I would be very happy if some brilliant genius coder proves me wrong. ;)

I've been surrpised before - UltraHLE back in the day, gpSP more recently... But DC is a really powerful piece of hardware to emulate.

I do think good N64 emulation is a realistic goal though.

Karel Jansens said:
PoisonedV said:
"aid"??? :lol:

THANK GOD YOU CAUGHT THAT, IT'S MY THESIS STATEMENT AND A SPELLING/GRAMMAR MISTAKE WOULD BE A DIRE MISHAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I can't ride in the Pandora like an airplane I'll be very disappointed

fiveseven said:
Personally, I'm going to use it to fly to the moon.
if you build the mods it's perfectly capable, look what they did in the 60's :p

Edit: mistype of a decade

Seriously, I think we can see NullDC running at 50-75%. PSP had it at 10% streight away, so I think with the speed boost the pandora has over the PSP (3X), plus some optimization (2X), it should be able to handle DC at about 60%.

That would be the limit, I think.

it can do ANYTHING digitally, but the limit is how fast it can do it, and where you will put all of it's SWAP memory at :p

@jbr: that was CPU only, no GFX chip use, so I think we can get a good 90% with frame skips

jbr said:
Seriously, I think we can see NullDC running at 50-75%. PSP had it at 10% streight away, so I think with the speed boost the pandora has over the PSP (3X), plus some optimization (2X), it should be able to handle DC at about 60%.

ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

http://www.emudev.org/drkIIRaziel/blog/

That code had absolutely no optimization for the PSP. No dynarec, not even a line of MIPS assembly code.

Also, it's important to note that it was running at actually less than 10% speed.

You can't estimate the Pandora's speed to be 3x as fast as PSP just like that, nor can you estimate optimization. Multipliers can't be pulled out of thin air like that.

Sorry for being so abrasive, but honestly, if I didn't do it...somebody else would have.

All we can say is that it seems very unlikely Dreamcast will be emulated at fullspeed considering the power of the console, but since drkIIRaziel is pretty good, and nullDC ran on some pretty slow computers back in the day, with some good optimization, it may be possible. Since drkIIRaziel has hope that it should be possible for nullDC to run on PSP Slim, I think we can have some hope that it'll work on Pandora to at least some extent.

PoisonedV said:
Karel Jansens said:
PoisonedV said:
"aid"??? :lol:

THANK GOD YOU CAUGHT THAT, IT'S MY THESIS STATEMENT AND A SPELLING/GRAMMAR MISTAKE WOULD BE A DIRE MISHAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're safe. Aid is the verbal form for what an aide (noun) does.

From dictionary.com:
aid /eɪd/
–verb (used with object)
1. to provide support for or relief to; help: to aid the homeless victims of the fire.
2. to promote the progress or accomplishment of; facilitate.
–verb (used without object)
3. to give help or assistance.
–noun
4. help or support; assistance.

Thank God I caught that before you changed your thesis. *whew!*

jbr said:

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but that would be cool. I'm optimistic about DC support down the road at some point.

I think getting Doom 3 on the Pandora might be the limit of what it can do in terms of 3D, which would be simply amazing.

I'm also interested in seeing Blender on the Pandora; I know there used to be an embedded Blender branch at one point, but I don't know if was abandoned or what happened. I don't personally think a Pandora Blender would be all that great of a workstation, but with the recent advancements in the game engine stuff, it could prove interesting.

quadomatic said:
Sorry for being so abrasive, but honestly, if I didn't do it...everybody else would have.
fixed for you.

Personally, I would like to see homebrew devs take their 2d GPxx games and whatever else they have, and give them 3d rendered engines with lighting effects and simply throw so much eye candy into their games that it begins pushing the limit to the hardware. Sorta like Grand Theft Auto -> Grand Theft Auto II, but more extreme.

Back