Do You Like The Name?

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
So, what does everyone think about the name Pandora? Do you like it and what do you think it means?

Feel free to spam before the first official news makes it to peoples mailboxes.

EDIT: removed idiot talk (mostly)

Pandora is the stupid broad that opened the box that contained all evil in greek mythology =P (I should check wikipedia to be sure but I'll go with my Memory and my King Quest 4 Lore haha)

I think it's a nice name but there is a huge popular music site that uses it right now... (not that it really matters but I thought I'd point it out)

xcen said:
Pandora is the stupid broad that opened the box that contained all evil in greek mythology =P (I should check wikipedia to be sure but I'll go with my Memory and my King Quest 4 Lore haha)
No, you're basically there. :)

xcen said:
I think it's a nice name but there is a huge popular music site that uses it right now... (not that it really matters but I thought I'd point it out)
Right, that's what I was thinking, Pandora is already used. Perhaps they haven't copyrighted it so we can still use it? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
bah it's like a first name no?

unless you're planning to make a music-distribution-model-like application, that shouldn't be a problem

a different field and a slightly different name (ie.: a game called Pandora2x) you should have no problem, but IANAL

Sounds fine to me although it do with another word to distant itself from anything else.

javaJake said:
Thanks for pointing that out. Now that I think about it, Microsoft tried to do something like that, right?
The only thing that I can think of at the moment is the MikeRoweSoft incident.

Also Microsoft can't actually call themselves Microsoft in Portugal.
Info

PANDORA?!?! Really?
Hm, I don't know if this is a good Name for a Handheld. Pandora is another Word for the evil, well ok thats the Box of Pandora acualy...
But of course out of the Handheld will come Great Stuff and nothing evil. ;)

...I need a night to sleep over it and then I decide if I like the name. ^^""

I like it, also, I checked up on pandora on wikipedia.

In Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman. Each god helped create her by giving her unique gifts. Zeus ordered her creation as a punishment for mankind, in retaliation for Prometheus' having stolen fire and then giving it to humans for their use. She is most famous for carrying a jar (pithos) (or box) containing all the world's evils. This is also thought as the only power to kill a God for a mortal. She releases these evils, and tries to close the lid but it is too late. Along with these evils came Hope, Humanity's only salvation.

And if you would apply this to modern world.

This is also thought as the only power to kill a God for a mortal.

God = Sony/Nintendo
Mortal = Linux/Pandora

Along with these evils came Hope, Humanity's only salvation.

Evils=Emulation, pirated version of older games
Hope=Open Source

Yuglooc said:

God = Sony/Nintendo
Mortal = Linux/Pandora

Hope=Open Source
That is so cool! They must use that for their advertising campaign/posters! :lol:

Gr.Viper said:
P-Box... how does that sound? :lol:
Like Post-Box. ;)

javaJake said:
Yuglooc said:

God = Sony/Nintendo
Mortal = Linux/Pandora

Hope=Open Source
That is so cool! They must use that for their advertising campaign/posters! :lol:

Yes, I had the same thoughts. :) It could be a very bad thing for Sony/Nintendo & Co. :D

Back