What it can do the current version cannot ?

Is the hinge more sturdy than the old one? And does the processor upgrade give any hope to Doom 3 or Wolfenstein ET getting ported.

ekianjo said:
For example, HD (720p) videos playback?
That is something I would like to know as well

After looking at the parametrics I think its possible. Seems it comes with support for "H.264-BP,H.264-MP/HP,JPEG,MPEG2-MP,MPEG4-SP,VC1". And there should be enougth power for HD playback?

http://www.ti.com/product/dm3730#feature

Last edited by a moderator:
ekianjo said:
For example, HD (720p) videos playback?
That is something I would like to know as well

After looking at the parametrics I think its possible. Seems it comes with support for "H.264-BP,H.264-MP/HP,JPEG,MPEG2-MP,MPEG4-SP,VC1". And there should be enougth power for HD playback?

http://www.ti.com/pr.../dm3730#feature

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mnPLBi1fjkY?feature=oembed
which one is the 3730? his accent is too thick for me to understand it...

brandonwalsh420 said:
which one is the 3730? his accent is too thick for me to understand it...
It has to be the left one because the N270 sucks!

I had one -.- -> not possible to play 720p

Looks like the DM3730 easily plays 720p! nice ; )

On the posting regarding the 1Ghz model Craig said "GPU is now 200MHz instead of 110MHz" does this make any difference? As far as I am aware the current GPU is not used.

Or am I thinking of the DSP.

On the posting regarding the 1Ghz model Craig said "GPU is now 200MHz instead of 110MHz" does this make any difference? As far as I am aware the current GPU is not used.

Or am I thinking of the DSP.

You're thinking of the DSP.

I have one ordered - I'll take another pass at getting qemu-user WINE working when it arrives, as well as getting OpenGL hardware acceleration working in qemu (maybe ES? haven't decided if I want to do that translation inside WINE or inside QEMU yet).

WINE can remove the overhead of running an OS, which is significant when every single instruction incurs an overhead.

Perhaps WINE could even be split into emulated and native portions, so the API calls can all be executed locally - then I can just port WINE's DX emulation to GLES and we get native hw acceleration inside native APIs.

Does the new 1Ghz model have a different wireless chip?

Does the new 1Ghz model have a different wireless chip?

*ahem*

Right, many many emails, PMs and forum questions about this.

How much faster is it?

Well, firstly the difference isn't just the clock speed:

What's new:

CPU is 1Ghz (overclockable)

GPU is now 200MHz instead of 110MHz

RAM is now 512MB instead of 256MB

Memory is clocked at 200MHz instead of 166MHz

CPU L1 cache increased from 16KB/16KB to 32KB/32K

How does this effect performance?

The 1Ghz Pandora is around 66% faster than the 600Mhz Pandora.

Of course both overclock and this can vary the results too.

Notaz has made a table showing the differences in speed:

Code:
______________________________-3530-__|__-3730-__|_[1]____[2]

clock_speed__________________600M_1GHz_1GHz_1280M|_28%____67%

PSX_Crash_Bandicoot_3_(fps)____91_133*__154___184|_<_38%__69%

PSX_Tekken3_(fps)_____________~42_~60*__~67___~77|_<_28%__60%

genesis_sonic1_(fps)_________~245_~405_~416__~520|_28%____70%

32X_Virtua_Racing_(fps)________46___80___84___107|_33.7%__82%

zip_compresion_(-9,_seconds)_28.3_17.7_16.1__12.8|_38%____76%

bzip2_compression_(seconds)___141___94___86____71|_32%____64%

"memspeed",_MB/s______________310__326__473___474|_45%____53%

[1] - 3530@1GHz vs 3730@1.28GHz

[2] - 3530@600MHz vs 3730@1GHz										  

* had to run at 960MHz, unstable otherwise because of heavy use of NEON

Everything is the same, minus whats mentioned in the above spoiler.

I saw that post by Craig but thought I'd ask, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for the wireless issue to be sorted.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

A faster wifi chip would require a board redesign - the current chip performance has improved to some extent over time with some tweaks.

A $9 wifi dongle will give you better wifi than most internal chips can deliver anyway, and you could also get 3G wifi.

A $9 wifi dongle will give you better wifi than most internal chips can deliver anyway, and you could also get 3G wifi.

If this is true then it sounds like the next Pandora should be using whatever chips these dongles use, assuming they can buy them directly.

We have spoken about just putting one of these inside. Usually you would not use them as they draw more power than a chip on the PCB, but with our giant battery it isn't a huge issue - plus we could get a 3G/Wifi dongle combined.

We have spoken about just putting one of these inside. Usually you would not use them as they draw more power than a chip on the PCB, but with our giant battery it isn't a huge issue - plus we could get a 3G/Wifi dongle combined.

Was saying to put these USB chips on the PCB (still interfaced via USB of course), not that that does anything for power consumption. Worse power characteristics are probably due to different voltage domains, and possibly higher power overhead of going across USB instead of a more "direct" protocol.

Me smells 3g or 4g in the pandora 2.

Your sense of smell needs adjustment.

If I can play Master of Orion 2 at acceptable speeds in dosbox, then I will forever be a happy chappy. Will be the first thing I try when it turns up (although I expect battery life to not be great, would be better off getting an atom netbook!).

The DM3730 has an SGX530 core 1.2.5, which is supported in our latest driver, so it should be relatively easy to get JellyBean running on it.

Why? Wireless is good enough. All you need is a 3G/4G hotspot device from a telco (which you don't even need to plug in - heck, put it in your pocket), and the pandora could wifi into that and beam out to the net.

no need to build the mobile 3G/4G technology into the Pandora. It would just add to the cost.

Anyway, all I can say is "Command and Conquer running on Windows 98SE on Qemu!"

...or starcraft. Just thought I'd put that out there....

bring it on!

Why? Wireless is good enough. All you need is a 3G/4G hotspot device from a telco (which you don't even need to plug in - heck, put it in your pocket), and the pandora could wifi into that and beam out to the net.

no need to build the mobile 3G/4G technology into the Pandora. It would just add to the cost.

Anyway, all I can say is "Command and Conquer running on Windows 98SE on Qemu!"

...or starcraft. Just thought I'd put that out there....

bring it on!
Sure there are alot of wifi hotspots about but the coverage is still limited with sometimes weak signals etc.alot of public transport does not have wifi either.Would 4g enable online gaming or is it not good enough for that.the vitas 3g is not up to online gaming by all accounts.

Back