Do You Like The Name?

God Ginrai said:
I thought Dual SD was not supported by the OMAP... Also, please tell me it is easy to reach the left analog stick, and that it will be possible to map emulation buttons to the o and p keys on the keyboard. ^_^;

EDIT: WTF, 1 GB of RAM?!?! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

-God Ginrai
you shoudn't have any problem reaching either analog stick and also it has shoulder buttons aswell

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeptism: Looks a bit too much like those toddlers video games...
What are the dimensions? If its the size im imagining, it seems the joysticks are a bit to far in... Will it be available in Black?

God Ginrai said:
I have not heard it will have 1GB RAM. I suggest you reread where you got that information from very carefully.

piemaster said:
God Ginrai said:
I thought Dual SD was not supported by the OMAP... Also, please tell me it is easy to reach the left analog stick, and that it will be possible to map emulation buttons to the o and p keys on the keyboard. ^_^;

-God Ginrai
you shoudn't have any problem reaching either analog stick and also it has shoulder buttons aswell

That's great to hear about reaching the sticks.

zacaj said:
What are the dimensions? If its the size im imagining, it seems the joysticks are a bit to far in... Will it be available in Black?
I want it in black, too. ;P

Although the design is really, how should I put it, different, I think that it could be really effective, and I'm glad they made it clamshell.

BTW, piemaster, do you think you could upload your image of the handheld?

-God Ginrai

zacaj said:
The card i've received that has the layout of the buttons on it says actual size going from left to right its about 5 and a half inches and about 3 inches from the bottom to the hinge the only thing that bothers me at the moment is how thick it will be thats not on the card

Orkie said:
I have not heard it will have 1GB RAM. I suggest you reread where you got that information from very carefully.
The bit on openpandora.org where it says "ARM® Cortex™-A8 CPU with 1Gb of RAM"?

God Ginrai said:
I thought Dual SD was not supported by the OMAP... Also, please tell me it is easy to reach the left analog stick, and that it will be possible to map emulation buttons to the o and p keys on the keyboard. ^_^ ;

-God Ginrai
Lowercase b. Means 128MB of ram. We're being slightly misled there.

slygamer said:
The bit on openpandora.org where it says "ARM® Cortex™-A8 CPU with 1Gb of RAM"?
Like I said, read it again. I knew this was going to happen when I first saw that site :S.

Too bad it's not 1GB...

Well, 128MB should be pretty good for whatever we'll be using it for.

Now, my question is whether that image is the 3D render that ED was apparently working on a couple of weeks back, or a photo of an actual prototype. I'm guessing 3D render.

By god, it looks like an inbred DS.. :huh:

Is this for real?
I agree a lot of designs pretty much all of 'em look better than that-
I am in shock and awe..

Who figured it was a good idea to put the keyboard underneath the controls and the analogues in the same line as the Dpad/buttons? It doesn't look comfortable at all game wise to me, looks more like somewhere along the line this turned from the sucsessor to GP2X to just another ultra portable PC equivalent :(

I can see myself hitting keyboard buttons all the time and regardless if you can shut them off, it's all too squashed together.. and the flip up screen doesn't lend itself well to the touchscreen capability- to me anyway

Maybe it'll sit in the hands better than it looks like it will, I dunno, but wow. I don't care who I may upset I've waited as long as anyone to see this, and I'm speaking my mind.
I thought this was supposed to be an open source gaming console first with extra capabilities not the other way around.

The only plus I can give is looks like DaveC will like the Dpad they got that right.. but you'll have to suffer playing at a funny angle if you want to flip it too.

Sorry that I can only see the negatives here but that's the way it goes, I can honestly say this'll give me second thoughts about getting one now, it just doesn't look comfortable at all :ph34r:

I haven't got a camera that works well at the moment i just tried my mobile but it looked to grainy

Looks interesting...unexpected but interesting. I get a retro feeling. Like "Electronics from the 70's". It feels like the design is very technical and aimed towards usability rather than looks. Which I don't really mind...might look better black though.

Knowing the dimensions of the screen I'd say the unit is about 14cm wide....which is close to the same size as the GP2X :)

One question I have is how to comfortably hold this thing with one hand and use the touch screen with a pen with the other? I presume that's been tested though.

I've been sneaking around this forum for some time, just waiting for this... this... I was going to say puppy, but, monstrosity seams more like it. I'm about 10 times more likely to get a GP2X-F200 sadly. Someone completly forgot usability as a gaming device when they designed this... thing.

Lets test something out. Your playing a PSX game. Analog sticks are from the looks of it, slightly to far in, causing slight discomfort, but any gamer can get past that, if the gaming is good. Ok, so your doing some car game. You got the steering, and the throttle / break on the sticks, great. Handbreak, gearshifting, nos, rear-view mirrors on buttons, we all ready passed the number of buttons you can actually reach simultaneously. Hell, you cant even let go of the right analog "stick" and hit one of the 4 buttons propperly, you will actually have to shift grip.

Ok, on with the show. I'm a fan of amiga games, old once, settlers, populous, K-240, and a load of others, all run with the mouse, and nothing but the mouse. This thing is going to emulate amiga like nothing else.perfect. And the touchscreen is a GREAT mouse replacement. Just one thing tho... How the heck do i get rid of the other half of the machine thats just going to be in the way? Yes, the amiga will be able to make use of the keyboard for making saves... Well, you wont make saves throught the amiga, but make savestates throught the emulator, and those will likely have a generated numeric name as default, so you don't need the keyboard, but still, nifty. Would have been great, if the thing folded over so it was the same size as shut, but with the screen out.

And regardless of WHAT your going to do with it, its going to be a joke from any ergonomic standpoint. A perfect square might look good, but compare it to a PSX gamepad. Thats actually an ergonomic creation. It's still a pain to hold on to if you got the wrong handsize, but they put in a lot of research just to get the shape, and buttons places so they make sence.

I'm sorry, but i sure hope your just showing a prototype, a developer model, that wont make it in to serious production. Or that a later model will address all the flaws i spotted in just a few secs. It took longer to register, and make this post, then it took to figure the critical errors in design out. There just have to be more issues, if i can spot this, at that time.

I could put it like this. From what i "knew" last time i checked the forums, you could have blindfolded me, and told me to hand you the money for the darn thing, and i would. Right now, i wouldn't pay shipping to get it here, if i got it for free, unless i knew i could sell it to someone else and get the shipping fee back.

Really sorry, but this isn't exactly what i had pictured in my mind.
Not a clamshell, slide out or detachable keyboard, no analog sticks was the description. This is a clamshell, has a large ass in the way of a smart placement of the important controls keyboard, and not 1, but 2 analog sticks. Damn...

Want a serious suggestion? Lose the keyboard. Put in a onscreen keyboard, that is a great advantage of a touchscreen. Have it trigger on some odd combination of buttons just so you don't get it up by accident. Also add a software hook, so a programmer can add it to his software, and simply make the keyboard show up when its needed.
Make sure it recognize and use a generic USB keyboard and make your own very small one. (use the layout you got already for gods sake) Bundle it for those who feel they need it. Use a metal clip to make sure it actually stays on if attached. I'll get the version without a bundled keyboard, and if i ever need a keyboard, I'll use a fullsize one.

Put in other words, as it is right now, it's a joke. It can be the most powerfull handheld device in the world, and it's still a joke, and there has been put to much time, money, and effort in developing it for it to be a joke.
Nobody says there has to be as much research and design put in to this thing as Sony put in to there game pad, but at the very least some thought, and effort should be put on the actual playability of the darn thing.
(If i remember right, Sony pretty much took the control from the SNES project they were involved with, and spent about 5 years making it fit 95% of the worlds hands)
B!

I've been sneaking around this forum for some time, just waiting for this... this... I was going to say puppy, but, monstrosity seams more like it. I'm about 10 times more likely to get a GP2X-F200 sadly. Someone completly forgot usability as a gaming device when they designed this... thing.

snip

Why, when I read this, do I have the feeling of Deja Vu???

Back