Do You Like The Name?

zaffercharles said:
I'm just glad I aint the only one thinking this was a letdown.
[salesman]So, what can I do to put you in one of these today?[/salesman] :)

Last edited by a moderator:
namco said:

I've been sneaking around this forum for some time, just waiting for this... this... I was going to say puppy, but, monstrosity seams more like it. I'm about 10 times more likely to get a GP2X-F200 sadly. Someone completly forgot usability as a gaming device when they designed this... thing.

snip
Why, when I read this, do I have the feeling of Deja Vu???

Unfortunately I haven't been around long enough for me to have any "Deja Vu" experiences. Mind elaborating a little? ;)

MWeston said:
zaffercharles said:

Jus' let me know when that pre-order form is available, and I'm sold! :D

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate, the forums are bugging out on me.

Vorporeal said:
Fuck! I had guessed openpandora.com. I was close!

Gotta say, not what I expected in terms of the way it looks. Thought all the gaming stuff would be on the face w/ a slide-out keyboard. Looks pretty good, although I'm sure an actual picture will look nicer than a render.
Heh - Makes two of us. I tried www.openpandora.co.uk, too

Looks OK, designwise, to me. DaveC hates it already, even if he doesn't know it yet, but for us other I think it'll be excellent :)

I don't mind the name at all, i think is sounds good. Heck i would still buy it if it were named wiicrap or sh*tinator. The name doesn't really matter to me, its the machine that does.

javaJake said:
Unfortunately I haven't been around long enough for me to have any "Deja Vu" experiences. Mind elaborating a little?
I don't know, but i took it as he tried to say "hey, haven't i said that myself."

zaffercharles said:
I'm pretty sure there are more feeling the same way, just not bothering to type it.

Moxie said:
Looks OK, designwise, to me. DaveC hates it already, even if he doesn't know it yet, but for us other I think it'll be excellent :)
I don't care how it looks, i need it to work for hours and hours straight of gaming. This doesn't.

cornfed said:
I don't mind the name at all, i think is sounds good. Heck i would still buy it if it were named wiicrap or sh*tinator. The name doesn't really matter to me, its the machine that does.
I agree completely. They could even name it some cryptic letter / number thingy, and i would still buy it. In fact, if the issues I've pointed out isn't fixed, I'm getting one of those instead. Namely the GP2X F-200. Hows that for a bullshit name. In fact, they could name it "turd", and have it made in a disgusting brown color, and i would still buy it, if i was convinced i could game on it.
B!

MWeston said:
zaffercharles said:

Ok thanks for asking.. I slept on the idea and figured the size of it- and there's just a few concerns left really.
What are the dimensions? I looked at this £1 glasses repair kit for an estimate on the size- here:

fakepandora1rk8.th.jpg

It was ok to get to the controls (estimating of course) on this thing, that case isn't long enough keyboard wise but that makes no difference to the part I was testing, game controls :D

That case is 5" wide exactly. I take it the Pandora is just a little wider, and it may be a stretch to get to the analogues for some. I have average hands, and it seems like a bit of a stretch perhaps giving strain after not too long trying to use the analogues. But maybe not too it depends on how much more width the real thing has.

To answer your question, what can you do to ensure I walk with one of these next year?

add another two shoulder buttons, please. They would be so damn useful. There's loads of ways that that could happen- either simply add 2 more above, or make one wide button each side that works as a light switch, rocking up and down for 2 actions in one, or my triggers are cool ;) Anyway whatever way you did it, it would be much better to have 4 easily available controls while using the analogues without needing to take your hands off them or shift grip. The touchscreen on the clam was another slight worry, but as long as it is very small overall and the hinge doesn't come loose quickly, that will be ok as well from my guesses with the glasses case :lol: Will there be some kind of lock for the screen? just don't let it swing back all the time when you're using it that's all.

Thanks for listening I think I make sense here about the shoulders- in my mind it was an obvious step up considering we were getting analogues. I can't understand why most people here are happy to get by with 2- when I thought we were trying to go beyond 'getting by' with this new console

EDIT: I thought I'd mention, the above is assuming that the whole design isn't changed.. I think I'd prefer a more usual screen in the middle type with sliding keyboard, but this design has grown on me in a short space of time.. if it just had the above it would pretty much guarantee my money that's the truth on it :)

Congratulations btw, it must be exciting to be in your position B)

Mr B said:
Moxie said:
I don't care how it looks, i need it to work for hours and hours straight of gaming. This doesn't.
I assume you understand this, really, but just to make sure: Looks OK for gaming, designwise, to me. If I were talking about colors and logos and stuff, that'd be something else.

Moxie said:
I assume you understand this, really, but just to make sure: Looks OK for gaming, designwise, to me. If I were talking about colors and logos and stuff, that'd be something else.
As i think i pointed out already, gaming controls aren't really placed so you can use them effectively, you'll have to shift grip to go from analog sticks, to buttons. Using the touchscreen as the only means of control haven't been addressed either, you still have a big freaking thing folded up to handle.
B!

I don't think the name really fits a gaming console. I mean try using it.
"I'm just playing zelda on my pandora"
"I'm going to take my pandora on the train with me"
"No it's not a ds, it's a pandora"

And if the full name is actually openpandora, that's even worse and way too long.

Then how are you supposed to convince random people to buy one :p I tell people all the time when they ask what I'm playing. It's a gp2x.

I just realised why I don't like the name, it sounds too much like a company name. A console name should be snappy sounding where as the company name can be as long and pandora-ey as it likes. Although openpandora sounds more like a linux distro

Zaurus wasn't much of a name, but it's certainly popular and most people know what they are now lol

Zodiac?

Gizmondo?

... Pandora has a great future ahead :) ( unlike the aforementioned names lol )

chris_r said:
I don't think the name really fits a gaming console. I mean try using it.
"I'm just playing zelda on my pandora"
"I'm going to take my pandora on the train with me"
"No it's not a ds, it's a pandora"
Just s/Pandora/preciousss in the above. Solved. :D

Or s/Pandora/Amiga and see if it sounds any better... probably not! :p

I think Pandora is better than Gameboy (sounds like something for paedophiles) or Wii (bodily function).

But people get use to names if the product's any good.

Could follow Nintendo and call it the SHiT, it also has the obvious marketing ploy of having an 'i' as in iPod.

"I'm just playing zelda on my SHiT"
"I'm going to take my ShiT on the train with me"
"No it's not a ds, it's a SHiT"

Works for me :)

X-Code said:
Zaurus wasn't much of a name, but it's certainly popular and most people know what they are now lol

Zodiac?

Gizmondo?

... Pandora has a great future ahead :) ( unlike the aforementioned names lol )

Well it seems according to your post the key to making unorthodox names popular is the letter z. Maybe we should call it ........ the zebra? I can't think of any words with z in them off the top of my head

No, it doesn't even sound like a handheld (Really? Is that like Fedora or Ubuntu, I have never heard of that distro). Do I really want to spend half an hour saying "Pandora?" No! Maybe if they just simplify it down to something like P1ZZA (or CPH1, CP1, P1, PH) then I would say it. Honestly, I'll just call it a PH1 (Personal/Pandora Handheld) instead of Pandora.

imec said:
No, it doesn't even sound like a handheld (Really? Is that like Fedora or Ubuntu, I have never heard of that distro). Do I really want to spend half an hour saying "Pandora?" No! Maybe if they just simplify it down to something like P1ZZA (or CPH1, CP1, P1, PH) then I would say it. Honestly, I'll just call it a PH1 (Personal/Pandora Handheld) instead of Pandora.
It takes you half an hour to say Pandora but yet you are willing to call it PH1? Perhaps you should count syllables.
PH1 is taken btw, loog for Lubix PH1. I'm happy this device has a real name.

Back