Unofficial Keyboard Layouts

^ Why?

Hardware buttons for things are handy, and hardware kill switches for things like radios are good for paranoid users.

Speaking of the wifi button, shouldn't that be done by software only?

^ Why?

Hardware buttons for things are handy, and hardware kill switches for things like radios are good for paranoid users.
Not just the paranoid user.  For a while notebook computers -had- to have a single physical switch for all on-board radios so that flight attendants could know for certain they were off.  Then devices on-board became so ubiquitous that the physical switch became irrelevant.

Knowing that it's off is more of a case of wanting to know if you're burning battery on wifi &/or BT that you're not actually using.  Maybe have those two buttons have their own pilot lights (back lights) to show on/off?

^ Why?

Because I thought it wasn't necessary, but it seems I'm wrong. Does that go for 3g/4g too if that happens?

I am for the camera being like the DSi's camera, in terms of placement. As in, the camera should be in the hinge thing between the base and the lid.

There needs to be a letter key to the right of "L" and to the right of ">" or a Dvorak keymap can not be implemented.

Dvorak keymap:

Code:
     ` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 [ ] backspace
    tab ' , . p y f g c r l / = \ 
capslock a o e u i d h t n s - return
    shift ; q j k x b m w v z shift
     ctl  alt    space    alt  ctl

Preferably, I'd want all the keys left of P, L, to make a standard keyboard layout more plausible. As it is with the current pandora, yo have to sacrifice function keys like F11, F12, ¥ etc. to map in characters that you use often enough that compose is just a hassle..

This has been argued over for a few pages already in a different thread, so might make a good string point:

6ul0.png

^ I like that one. I'd swap delete and backspace though, get rid of alt and ctrl (they can be mapped to the shoulder buttons and start/select) and make @  not a dedicated key but just the shift key for 2, like on a regular keyboard. That makes room to put shift on the left, comma and period in the same position as where they are on the Pandora, have the usual ;/: '/" keys to the right of L, and maybe a dedicated slash key left of A.

The double wide space bar makes a Dvorak keymap impossible. Split it in two.

Completely revised the layout from my original post and added a second, Pandora user friendly, Pyra keyboard layout.

Hope you guys like them.

Now off to rest(have a wicked bad flu). Chicken soup to the rescue. :wub:

Oh well... according to this all we would end up with something like this here I guess :

Dont take this concept too serious pls. ^^

at least its something to grab on =D

- I have used a 5 inch 16:9 screen there

- you can see a clamping device to fix the screen in any desired angle you want =P

- LEDs can be found right next to the row with 6 buttons above the nubs

- Battery is slided in sideways

- Headphone-jack and miniHDMI is at front due to the lack of space on the backside

- USB, miniUSB, and the Power-connector are the the backside

- same counts for L1, L2 , R1 and R2

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/3162/qejx.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/3784/6mya.png

EDIT : Going to add a new thread because of this concept at all I think ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Did read correctly the the sticks are clickable?

Put in 6 action buttons for future Sega Saturn emu :D
You know, you got me thinking of 6 buttons, but if we really need it, we can just use to keyboard buttons.

fuck this thread.

This isn't going to end well and you all know it.

This has been argued over for a few pages already in a different thread, so might make a good string point:

6ul0.png
I like this keyboard lay-out but it needs a shift key. I would change two other things too, I do want to see the Fn - Shift - keys printed on the keys as currently on P1 and I don't like the coloured keys - they make the device look cheap.

get rid of alt and ctrl (they can be mapped to the shoulder buttons and start/select)
If you are thumb typing I agree with the shoulder buttons, but I am usually not thumb typing and I don't really like the alt and ctrl position of P1. Shift / Fn and Alt on the 1st - lowest row seems most comfortable to me.

get rid of alt and ctrl (they can be mapped to the shoulder buttons and start/select)
If you are thumb typing I agree with the shoulder buttons, but I am usually not thumb typing and I don't really like the alt and ctrl position of P1. Shift / Fn and Alt on the 1st - lowest row seems most comfortable to me.
I see your point, but for backwards compatibility we'll probably want to map start and select to left alt and left ctrl again, and R1 to right ctrl (and L2 or R2 to right alt).  So either you make a third ctrl and alt button (which would be completely redundant and would be indistinguishable from start/select/R1) or you map start/select to something different, breaking backwards compatibility.

Since most people are thumb typers, and that's what the keyboard is optimized for, and since we cannot really afford too much redundancy, I think it's better to get rid of dedicated ctrl and alt keys. A dedicated shift button still makes sense, because we need a left shift anyway (L1 is right shift), and shift is the most important modifier key.

I think it's better to get rid of dedicated ctrl and alt keys.
So, we could have a left and right space bar or one very long one?

Back