They multiply!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Pyras can magically multiply, did you know that?

Well, I got some pictures for proof...

Here you can see them: 18 Mainboards and 18 CPU-Boards.
That means: GC has just produced those 18 CPU Boards yesterday alongside of Display-PCBs (not seen on these pictures).

DSC02407.jpeg

DSC02406.jpeg

Here's a closer look at both sides of the CPU boards:

DSC02408.jpeg

Aren't they beautiful? Well, this is what a complete set looks like:

DSC02409.jpeg

You can see the Display, the Display PCB, the CPU-PCB and the speakers besides it, the LCD Cable, the Mainboard and the battery.

Not on this picture (but already lying in my office): 18 keymats.

The last piece of the puzzle will be the case, and I'll make sure to let you know as soon as I got more infos about that.

So, what's the testing status?

Well, Nikolaus needs to change various components to make the board boot and work.

He already is pretty far, he can see the OMAP5 loading the bootloader via the UART-Connector on the mainboard (so the system lives!) which also tells him that the memory is working fine.

It does load a kernel but does not boot the OS yet, as the MMC card slot initialization is not yet included in the bootloader, so we get a nice kernel panic because it can't find the OS.

Nikolaus is working on them, once the OS itself is running, we can do more testing of all components.

It means that the basic system is working now though, which is awesome!

I'm a bit surprised that the SoC prototype board initializes that much differently from the Dev board.  For some reason i figured that the OS would be the same between the two.

You mentioned that the MMC isn't initialized yet.  So - which eMMC module did the Pyra end up getting?  Or is that a variable in the prototype run to see which one works best?

Oh - also noticed that 4/18 main boards have antennas but no wireless chips...?

Great to see project pics and thank you for the update!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit surprised that the SoC prototype board initializes that much differently from the Dev board.  For some reason i figured that the OS would be the same between the two.

vastly different device tree setups, not all components are on the devboard and there are many different ways of wiring up components. There are more than a half dozen different I2C buses for example.

Reactions: szr
The Pyra will be mostly compatible with the devboard, but some things have to differ (I.e. there is only one MMC slot on the devboard whereas we got three, and one is switchable between the slot and the eMMC), this all needs to go into the boot stuff.

The OS itself should then simply work.

The four mainboards with the unpopulated 4G modules get the US version for the module (which will be manually populated later), especially for our four US-Prototype-orders.

Only the Sega Saturn had more PCB's inside, right? :D  

Well, Nikolaus needs to change various components to make the board boot and work. 

Do you mean hardware Components? I just ask because there are already so much prototype boards made and populated.

And will there be some kind of thermal compound be used to guide the heat from the CPU to the copper in the Mainboard? Because these golden areas there look interesting. ;)  

It's just amazing how fast and smooth the development is going right now, awesome news by the week! And this means that the issues with populating the SoC PCB and the second side of the main PCB are all worked out, right?

Barbecue Pyra? Wasn't it ZOMGWTFPYRAKBB (kebab) ?

Btw, did you see the CPU boards have a C with a number on them... so there will be a C64 labeled CPU board....

As for the boards: I feel like a hungry kid staring at freshly baked sweets staring from the window into a bakery.... with just one coin in my hand hoping I have enough.missingboard.jpg

Barbecue Pyra? Wasn't it ZOMGWTFPYRAKBB (kebab) ?

Btw, did you see the CPU boards have a C with a number on them... so there will be a C64 labeled CPU board....

So - that thought started me down a very winding path...

C1 is also known as New Punter.

C2 is equal to energy divided by mass.

C3, musically, is both high C and low C depending on which side of the Atlantic you happen to be playing on.

Careful with the C4 board - might take a hand off.

C5 is l33t sp3@k 4 Computer Science.

C6 is the most common tuning for electric guitars.

C7 is your verteba prominens - can't nod your head without it.

C8's name is now Cate (Kate).

C9 is a translation denied.  (English C nine phonetically to German, C nein, meaning in English not C.)

C10 is transcendental.  (Champernowne constant)

C11 is the current standard version of the C programming language.

0.012kg of C12 is a mol, making board C12 the basic measuring tool of all modern chemistry.

C13 could be l33t for CIE, which could be counterimmunoelectrophoresis, one of the few words in English with more letters than the English alphabet.

C14 is radio active - might make sure whoever gets that is already on the do not fly list.

A C15 is a 15 minute long cassette tape - which you are only likely to have ever owned if you had a computer in the early 1980s.

C16  was the beyond obscure successor to the Vic 20.

C17 could only be City 17 from Half Life 2.

C18 is l33t for Complete In Box.  It's all there.

Back