Test Drive

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
No pretty pictures today, but a lot of results.
Nikolaus has been busy testing all the features the mainboard offers, takes quite some time (seriously).

A quick summary upfront:
The main PCB only had TWO layout mistakes - and that can be manually fixed within a few minutes and fixed in the layout file (for the production version) within 1 - 2 hours.
So yes, the main PCB should be ready for production now - and the display PCB as well.
Only missing thing now is the CPU PCB (which is more than halfway done already).

Here's a nice list of what has been done:

Note: As Nikolaus is currently working on the tests, it could be that some stuff that I put in the untested list has been tested by him already :)
Not much left to test anyways :)

Tested and working fine:

* Display (without using the ssd2858)
* Backlight
* Nub-Buttons
* Keyboard Backlight
* BMP180 (Barometric Sensor)
* Nubs
* FTDI (RS232 over USB)
* Power-LEDs
* LID-Detect
* BMC150 - accelerometer works with hacked bma150 input driver
* Panel-I2C
* TSC2007 + touch screen
* Charging Bypass
* Charger
* Fuel Gauge
* Keyboard
* Logo LEDs
* Shoulder Buttons
* USB-Host Currency Converter
* Cinterion Modem (both phone part and GPS)
* Modem Ignite

Issues found

* Sometimes, I2C hangs (Reset issue)

Not yet tested

* CRTOUCH - we don't have a driver yet
* INA231 (Current Shunt and Power Monitor)
* Force-Reset-Logic
* Over-Current-Indicator
* BMG160 (Gyroscope)
* BMC150 (Compass)
* BNO055 (9-Axis Sensor)
* Mic-Detect
* FM
* ssd2858

Stuff we need the finished CPU PCB to test them:

* DPAD, ABXY
* Microphone
* WLAN
* Bluetooth
* Audio (PCM1773 and TWL6040)
* Headset
* Vibra
* (u)SD-Slots

We're getting there - full speed ahead!

BTW: Beware - I'll start an official keyboard layout thread later tonight... I guess there'll be a hot discussion after that...

The shopping list of items tested/not tested shows just how easy it is to forget how complex a modern SoC can be... (even before you start throwing in a handful of extra components)

Its sure a world away from just cpu, memory and gpu....

but I can't see [edit]why[/edit] ED thinks there will be a lot of discussion about keyboard layouts... :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant. Thanks for the update, and even more: Thanks for the progress :D

Great!

thanks for all the effort and diligence spend on the project already -- and tell me when we can finaly order/buy the pyra. 

I'm already eager to get my hands on the unit

kindest regards

peb

HP200LX mailing list manager + Website coordinator ..

Not yet tested

* CRTOUCH - we don't have a driver yet

* INA231 (Current Shunt and Power Monitor)

* Force-Reset-Logic

* Over-Current-Indicator

* BMG160 (Gyroscope)

* BMC150 (Compass)

* BNO055 (9-Axis Sensor)

* Mic-Detect

* FM

* ssd2858
That's actualy alot of "extra" stuff in there, didn't even knew the Pyra has these features. Would it make the device much cheaper when just skip this functions? ^^"
BTW: Beware - I'll start an official keyboard layout thread later tonight... I guess there'll be a hot discussion after that...
Uh oh, are you REALLY sure you want to start this? ;)
That's why the rotator chip is still listed in the untested section ;)
Last mention of the progress there sounded actualy pretty good. I hope all will end well with that chip.

Tonight your time?  I don't want to miss any moment of the madness.  ;)

-Glyph Reader

Yay! It's good to see a few things ready for production! Now if ED could just get his hands on a bunch of Wifi chips...

That's actualy alot of "extra" stuff in there, didn't even knew the Pyra has these features. Would it make the device much cheaper when just skip this functions? ^^"

These extras don't add to much to the overall cost of the unit.. removing them would only shave off a few dollars at most. Most of the parts I see cost less than a dollar if bought in bulk. Some of the extras on the list are needed, like the current control stuff. Or SSD2858 which happens to the Rotator chip.

EDIT: Okay did a few part price checks, some of the sensor are a little more expensive than I thought. But still not a huge savings per unit if removed.

These extras don't add to much to the overall cost of the unit.. removing them would only shave off a few dollars at most. Most of the parts I see cost less than a dollar if bought in bulk. Some of the extras on the list are needed, like the current control stuff. Or SSD2858 which happens to the Rotator chip.

EDIT: Okay did a few part price checks, some of the sensor are a little more expensive than I thought. But still not a huge savings per unit if removed.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/85cL1HisrNc?feature=oembed

Back