The Rise of Pyra - A story about the past 6 months

It's not anyone's fault but this isn't surprising, not enough users have received units so anyone doing develop struggles to get feedback. It's hard to stay active as a user on a board for a product you don't have.
Indeed. The community is built around the journey we've had from conception right through to production, but unfortunately the last 2 years have stagnated with a notable dearth of updates to keep the conversations going. We need units in people's hands, or at least a little more good news, to grow it back.

There's only so far you can go with bad jokes and what have you bought lately...

Thanks again, BTW, @Askarus for your efforts to stoke the Pyra and warm our spirits.

1728996205446.png

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
I think the most essential part is a CPU that is maintained/supported for a long period, that already has a working current kernel in place (with the associated memory and extra chips). And try to get that support involved in the project from the beginning on (might be to expensive though)
Keep the keyboard, nubs, big USB ports, Jack (perferably 2 in/out).

Exactly. We need a 64 bit cpu or we're excluded from tons of new software. Is this even a possible upgrade?? I wouldn't have thought so.

I don't know. I think the main thing is selling all the Pyras that can reasonably be built with the available stocked components.
Then depending on how many orders remain, and how difficult it is to source components for the same design, decide whether to build more Pyras with the current design.
A new redesign now seems an academic exercise. It's obvious that after 8 or 10 years designs seem outdated, but it seems the available resources now are even less than back then . so any new design now would be as doomed or more than it was.
I don't mean to say we can't all discuss priorities, connectors and wanted features this decade. But someone has to go there, do the designs, build prototypes, write software, test it all, do a small production run, optimize, redesign maybe, do a mass production...
(and put money upfront for all of that).
For what? for 200 orders ? It makes no sense. And 100 of those orders would be from people who already have a Pyra and might forget to contribute to the current Pyra when they have a newer model.

I think there're more handheld devices today, either game-console like or microlaptop like, and it's harder to fit a new one in. And I don't like any current SOC, because they all need blobs, even to boot. I don't like the OMAP in the Pyra so much, but nowadays it's all worse. The last usable SOC was RK3399, and it's now old and I think too hot and power demanding. New Mali GPUs require blobs, TF-A is often released as binary without source, DRAM init is usually a blob... Nothing that inspires any confidence, and if I can't be sure of what the most privileged code does to my device, I could as well buy Android or Apple crap.

I think it's best to sell Pyras with the current design to those who still want them, and hope some more software contributions come this way. If one wants a longer dinasty for the Pyra, one could open source hardware designs, like case or PCBs or something in case someone wants to evolve it somehow. Maybe newer batteries can be smaller in size with the same charge, and win some room to fit some almost standard SOM (Rapsberry Pi CM4, MNT reform, or whatever non Pyra-specific). But even opening it more is a lot of work for no pay, and once done, there's no warranty anyone will take it and evolve it, so... let's just build what's already designed. If there's no time or money to do this, there's still less to do new designs. Unless someone wants to do it as a hobby and pay it from their pockets.

Askarus proposing the pyra lite here :D
Do you even know how much voting that will cause?
In anycase at this point we could argue why not just make a case and slop a pi zero in there.
Actually what i would propose is to switch back to the pandora battery, make a bit of room inside, have internal usb solder pads and enough space to let me slab my usb modems/wifi cards/thumbdrives in there.
Post automatically merged:

I think the most essential part is a CPU that is maintained/supported for a long period
Our problem on neither the pandora or pyra is the cpu support however. Its the rest around the cpu like graphics and currently even the soundcard that have too little support.

Askarus proposing the pyra lite here :D
Do you even know how much voting that will cause?
It would not even be a Pyra Light.
It would be the Pyra as it is now. Most things I would remove are those things that we do not use anyways. Either because they are broken or because we can not use them properly.
The only thing that we really need is a 64bit ARM SoC with proper support.

In anycase at this point we could argue why not just make a case and slop a pi zero in there.
Unfortunately that would be even slower than the Pandora.
If the Pi 4 was open, that would be a great option.
Unfortunately, only the Pi 3 hardware went open source.
The Pi 4 would be about the same as the Pyra but much better supported.

Our problem on neither the pandora or pyra is the cpu support however. Its the rest around the cpu like graphics and currently even the soundcard that have too little support.
But it's a SOC. Sound and video subsystems are in the same chip, not different cards or even different chips. I'm not aware that problems with graphics or sound have to do with the external circuitry?
(there was some issues because of needed screen rotation, and the sound wheel is a bit complex, but the main issues are about things in the SOC, I believe).
I mean if you change the SOC you have a new CPU, a new soundsystem and new graphics (and memory controller, etc. etc.).

Back