The Gp2x Is Dead!

bboyneko said:
it seems it's sold out everywhere, I ordered mine July 1 from play asia and now its listed as sold out. I am glad I got it when I did..I figure the Pandora won't be ready for prime time for another half a year and by then I can easily sell my f200 online if it turns out the pandora is better, otherwise Ill just keep my f200.
No, EvilDragon seem to have some stock, even some F-100 models:

http://www.gp2x.de/shop/index.php/cPath/21...hph9tjqtq2up9u1

@Orkie

Full ack.

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
bboyneko said:
it seems it's sold out everywhere, I ordered mine July 1 from play asia and now its listed as sold out. I am glad I got it when I did..I figure the Pandora won't be ready for prime time for another half a year and by then I can easily sell my f200 online if it turns out the pandora is better, otherwise Ill just keep my f200.
No, EvilDragon seem to have some stock, even some F-100 models:

http://www.gp2x.de/shop/index.php/cPath/21...hph9tjqtq2up9u1

@Orkie

Full ack.

Regards,
Stephan

hmm..says 6 left...if anyone wants a f-200 better act fast! lol.

6 + some F-100. That's far from sold out for a small german shop...

I've been out of business for some time, now I'm back and what I read? That GP2x that I was going to buy is dead? Is GP Holding a bancrupt?
And the most important question: is there any sense in buying NOW one of the GP2x? Probably you will write that only the "DS wannabe" F-200 is worth of it...
I have GP32 BLU+ only and I have a BIG request: could anybody write in a very short version about what is new (emus, games) in GP2x (especially F-200)? As far as I know there is fullspeed GBA emu, great MAME emu (does it emulate all CPS good?), rather poor PSX emu...What about Duke Nukem on GP2x? Is there finally a save option available?
Thanks in advance.

Main points of GP2x over GP32?
- Picodrive is even more awesome than GP32 megadrive emulation was, and includes Sega CD and SVP support.
- Amiga emulation is playable (but not full speed, I believe)
- CPS2 emulation is full speed, or close to, though MAME isn't really the thing to use for it - Final Burn Alpha is *much* better.
- Neogeo, Neogeo CD both work very well indeed, but you'll probably have to go through the respective readmes.
- Snes is not generationally better than on the GP32, but is nonetheless better; if it's SNES you're after, wait for Pandora.
- GBA is not full speed in terms of no frameskip needed, but it is in the sense that most GP32 emulators are - i.e. Frameskip 2-3 (sometimes even 1 is enough) gives you an experience that feels full speed, just not quite as smooth as it might be. This is THE way to play Yoshi's Island on the GP2x, among many other things.
- Games by Alex and Ruckage, among others, aren't out on the GP32, and are beyond mere awesomeness. Cave story, Noiz2sa, and many others present, and provide hours of high-end homebrew entertainment. MH-T managed to pull off the impossible, too, and as a result, there is a native version of Albion.
- Duke Nukem definitely works on the GP2x. Not certain whether there's save, but I believe so. You may also be interested in Heretic (and maybe even Hexen? I forget), which work, and in Descent.
- Video is a MUCH nicer experience; no need to re-encode, as long as there's space on your SD.

There's inevitably quite a lot more points as well. The crucial question is whether it's worth getting a GP2x now or waiting for Pandora. That will come down to whether you want to spend ~£100 on a mature platform that does gaming and video really well now, or wait a couple of months, and spend £200 on a startup that will probably in short order beat the living daylight out of the nevertheless awesome GP2x. Your call, there.

EDIT: Thanks Sbock! My mistake!

- Picodrive is even more awesome than GP32 megadrive emulation was, and includes Sega CD and 32x support.

Sorry, but that isn't (yet) correct. You mean Sega CD and Sega Virtua Processor support.

Regards,
Stephan

Big thanks Tobriand ;). So there's not (as for now) a specific release date of that Pandora? Will finally be more "professional" games made by known developers on that "Handheld Laptop" thing? Will it have resemble "guts" as GP2x, so there isn't going to be another long "play" with converting all emus on the new system?

no there is not a specific release date for the pandora

The 'guts' are in no way similar to the gp2x

please stop putting words in bold, it makes it no easier to read

kulak4 said:
so there isn't going to be another long "play" with converting all emus on the new system?
If you're thinking of the time it took for gp32 software to appear (or not appear) on the gp2x, my guess is things will be much quicker in general. Assuming that pandora will have support for sdl, allegro, python, java, and fenix, there's a fair amount of gp2x software that will be easy to port. Obviously this requires that for anything that isn't open source, the author has interest in porting or sharing source with someone who does.

A lot of the emulators are not built on something like sdl and so porting would require much more effort. However, since the pandora will have better hardware, I bet that comparable emulators, or ports of current gp2x ones, will show up fairly quickly. Note that emus for major systems showed up for the gp2x right away, they just weren't as polished or optimized as what we have now. The Pandora will not require quite so much optimizing, I would think.

--

Definitely the end of an era, if only the symbolic end. RIP GP2X.

Eek, a lot of us have now watched two GPH machines come and then go, and we'll all be watching the third.

<-- needs a life ;)

jeff

I'd like to know specs.. we're all going Pandora natch, but I'll likely get the new GPH too, but its going to divide the community a bit perhaps..

skeezix said:
Eek, a lot of us have now watched two GPH machines come and then go, and we'll all be watching the third.

<-- needs a life ;)

jeff

I'd like to know specs.. we're all going Pandora natch, but I'll likely get the new GPH too, but its going to divide the community a bit perhaps..
Rumor has it that it will be the Pollux SoC with a 4" 480x272 widescreen like the PSP (only smaller) as that is what the Pollux dev kit is. Of course that is quite a crappy in-between screen resolution for emus so not too sure what it's niche would be. Maybe Quake and 3D homebrew? I will stick with the Gp2X for now and go for the Pandora later if indeed those are the specs.

I'm curious what the final specs will be. You never know, GPH could choose the 640x480 lcd. If they did that, and managed to keep a half decent compatibility (beyond SDL), then it could be a great replacement GP2x.

As much as I like the features of the Pandora, and will most likely buy one, there is certainly a market for a more bare-bones classic emulation system.

Sad news, indeed.

But if someone could actually come out with that GP2X mini, I would be in the market to purchase several. That would be great!

gp2xstore.com seems to have gotten their very last shipment of gp2x's and accessories so this is probably one of the last places to get a new one.

Is there any place I could get a cradle (even unofficial) cheap? I would like to do multilayer gaming on it but $50 also felt like a lot of money to do that. Unfortunately play-asia seems to be out of cradles and they had a special on most of their in stock items.

heya DaveC ..

The PSP resolution is not as bad as you make it out, and its actually a pretty good ratio for a lot of systems. (The slow refresh screen is worse IMHO, and even then is not so bad on most PSPs.. but is terrible on others! Worse yet is the control scheme on that machine, but lets not get into that.)

No, the more pressing concern is that so far GPH have a pretty crazy track record for hardware design; a company that makes a dedicated game/media console with the joystick rotated .. either by accidident (seriously?) or by design (wtf?); or that releases a second version of that same machine with volume bordering on deafening; or in prior modeld with swapped stereo channels; and so on.

So we can be convinced, regardless of the hardware choices, they will bung it up somehow in some incredible fashion we cannot foresee :)

Now, that particular SOC I don't think much of for other reasons; when Craig posted his comment and we all went off to read.. that is a seriously choked chip IIRC; thats a worse problem than the others.. you can't crank a clock up forever, you need to open up the pipes too.

But its all a guess anyway.

The question is .. will it have GP-boobies? :)

jeff

edit: By ratio being not too bad, consider; ST is 320x200 commonly; 320*1.5 == 480 so good match there; 200*1.5 is 300, and compared to 272/etc not too bad, but a little scrunch. Sure, a true 320x200 mode is ideal, but no modern device is going to be made with such a low resolution device. I prefer VGA modes myself .. 640x480 is a nice solid size with good ratios...

Slightly off topic... but just a warning.

If you were thinking of going to www.gp2x.com to see if GPH have any news on their 'new' machine (or company demise) and you are using IE, then don't. Their company web-site has a script virus.... It certainly affects IE - I haven't had a chance (or really any intention now) of re-visiting with Firefox but suspect it will be ok.

I speak from having infected my work PC at lunchtime... Its not the first time they have had a virus on this web-site so its really my own fault for being so naive as to think they would have learnt their lesson.

Back