The Gp2x Is Dead!

b_o_b said:
Come on.. get real. A GP2X mini or other clone will never happen. This market is too niche and with the Pandora on its way, you must be an idiot to invest money in a project like that.
The idiot the one who thinks that way like you. GP2X ( mini :D ) and pandora are in two different market product categories. Pandora is a one big fat b%tch who cannot even cook.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
b_o_b said:
Come on.. get real. A GP2X mini or other clone will never happen. This market is too niche and with the Pandora on its way, you must be an idiot to invest money in a project like that.
The idiot the one who thinks that way like you. GP2X ( mini :D ) and pandora are in two different market product categories. Pandora is a one big fat b%tch who cannot even cook.

:lol:

Pretty much. Pandora is for people who want an ultra-powerful, albiet expensive, machine that does a little bit of everything. A GP2X mini would be for those of us who want an extremely portable and inexpensive gaming-only device that's open-source friendly.

fusion_power said:
I hope we can keep at least the Name "GP2X" somehow.
That would probably be in the hands of GPH as they hold the trademark.

At least I hope they do! Some of these crappy Asian electronic companies don't know the right legal way :lol:

Oh god +1 on the redesigned GP2x. It could be called..

GPIII - Gee Pee Three

Im wondering why GPH didn't just sell their company instead of waiting untill they had no money left ?
Maybe they gambled by making the new model ?
Its a shame sooo many people are going to be left un forfilled !

n8archer_XI said:
so where can I get one otherwise? (like F-200)
Ebay ?

Sigh... sad news indeed... so abrupt. :eek:

I did kind of expected this to happen sooner or later, although not this soon.

Well I'm still waiting for more details on what happened though...

flammablepiss said:
Im wondering why GPH didn't just sell their company instead of waiting untill they had no money left ?
Umm... GPH isn't dead you know, only the GP2X.

Nova said:
Oh god +1 on the redesigned GP2x. It could be called..

GPIII - Gee Pee Three

Lol I had just thought of a name too. 'GP2x Tribute'

How about GP3x Tribute? :D

NOOOOOOOOOO!
Is there an option to buy the manufacturing company and re-produce it, maybe?

Orkie said:
[Umm... GPH isn't dead you know, only the GP2X.
If Ed and Craig were busy selling gp2x (and they were... we can safely assume that is funding Pandora) then why would you stop?

Possiblities:

1) They wanted to cut off Ed / Craig's source of capital in some kind of attack of the Pandora. Seems unlikely they would shoot themselves in the foot in that way.

2) The batch size of re-ordering was reasonably large (5k?) and they don't have the cashflow to pay for it, even if selling them would be profitable.

3) They want to ensure all effort is concentrated on their new system. I can't believe takes much effort to re-order a batch of an existing system and sell to the distributors so seems odd. So why not keep taking the money?

4) They are completely, utterly mad and trying to work out their logic is a waste of time. They have a new model in the wings in about 6 months time and happy to not have any income till then.

5) Money is no object as they have a huge new investor and about to launch a PSP rival.

My money is on 2 or 4 - plenty of evidence for 4) so lets hope its that is the case as would be a little sad to see them go... However, there is room in the market for gp2x and Pandora, but gp2x successor and Pandora may be less complimentary...

Or option 6) - they just forgot to re-order :p

I would like to see a GXP2 Lite (letters mixed on purpose). But it would have to be cheap - like less than a DS Lite or PSP cheap - in order to be worth it. Less than $100. And I would buy one and a Pandora. I've never had a GP2X or a GP32. So I'd like to have one just to say I have one. Also, I'm the guy with a DS Lite and a GameBoy Micro. Because sometimes carrying a DS Lite is too much to ask. :)

Of course, I'd want a real D-pad and a good recharagable battery as well.

andyB911 said:
Orkie said:
[Umm... GPH isn't dead you know, only the GP2X.
Possiblities:

1) They wanted to cut off Ed / Craig's source of capital in some kind of attack of the Pandora. Seems unlikely they would shoot themselves in the foot in that way.

Nah I don't think they would do that ! Besides why wait until like a month from the release date.
They would have done that much sooner if they felt5 threatened.

4) They are completely, utterly mad and trying to work out their logic is a waste of time. They have a new model in the wings in about 6 months time and happy to not have any income till then.

5) Money is no object as they have a huge new investor and about to launch a PSP rival.

Putting all their resources into a new console would be a waste of time !
They will NEVER be able to compete in the mainstream market.
It doesn't matter how good a console even if it is 100% awesome, to make it mainstream you need more than that, GPH would only be able to make a console that emulates because they are not "big" enough to cut big deals and get games
Look at the PS3 for example, It is clearly the best console in every aspect yet it has its ass kicked by the piece of shit Wii !
And besides people nowadays are materialistic, they only give a crap about having big name sticker slapped on their console, people aint going to care about GPH !

If they are going to compete mainstream as you suggest, My prediction is that will be their last console.
But hell I hope they prove me wrong !

Well, spanish distribuitor (Anarchy) has confirmed that it's true, the GP2X has ceased production (as craigix and evildragon said) and that there is a new console coming. But he can't give more details.

efegea said:
Well, spanish distribuitor (Anarchy) has confirmed that it's true, the GP2X has ceased production (as craigix and evildragon said) and that there is a new console coming. But he can't give more details.
new console by GPH?

If the are coming out with a new console they really should retain backwards compatibility with the gp2x. Otherwise I'm not sure how they can compete. They'd be better off trying to make a perfect model of gp2x than a whole new console.

Regardless I don't see a reason to suddenly kill manufacturing of the gp2x while there is still much demand. Only thing I can think of is they want to kill gp2x while demand is still there so their image looks good for when they release the new console.

Anyway hope the gp2x scene lives on for a while longer. A big thanks to all the devs that made the gp2x scene so great.

Back