The Gp2x Is Dead!

Beoran, if you still want to purchase a Gp2x I'm sure that www.gp2xstore.com still has some left in stock. I know that there are a couple of other sites but cant think of them off the top of my head

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine :pandora1:

kuehnau said:
The thing is, I don't want/or need everything the Pandora has to offer.
Then you probably don't want a Pandora. I did a lot of research into the portable scene. I had almost settled on a GP2X with a fold away keyboard add on when I noticed the Pandora, and that had everything I was looking for in a tight little package. If it has features you don't think you'll ever use, find something that does have just the features you're looking for.
From your description, it sounds like all you want is the open gaming, which suggests either a GP2X or a PSP with hacked firmware. They're both significantly cheaper than the Pandora is slated for, and don't have the features you don't seem to want getting in the way (well, PSP has wifi)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had 3 GP2X's, the 1st edition, regular f-100 and the f-200 and was majorly disappointed with them all TBH. Directional control being a massive flaw and equally bad for me was the spongy non responsive action buttons.

Best way i could sum it up is when you played an emu on the GP32 such as DrMD, you almost pretty much forgot you were playing these games on a emulator as the control and feel was just about spot on. On the GP2X, you never feel this as the problems i mentioned above always hamper the experience.

Exophase said:
The GP2X is far from a POS! It has a couple of flaws, most notably the thumb pad. Other than that, it's a great system and I've had many hours of enjoyment using it. If you don't like it and think it's a POS, I really don't know what you are doing here. Go buy yourself a psp and some games and knock yourself out.

Man let people think what they want, I program for GP2X but it's not a wonderful perfect system, to me the flaws have been a major pain in the ass... and you used that "what are you doing on gp32x then huh huh" line on me before and I have as much reason to be here as you do (probably more reason but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt)

You and I might both think the gp2x has flaws, but you see it differently than I do. I am an end user and might say the thumbpad sux or could be better, as to where you will complain about the way the cache is used or how poorly implemented the second core is, then go and write software that (to me) cover up the flaw anyway. I don't think I've ever heard you say "The GP2X sucks in ever single way" which is sorta like what he said. So, really, why waste time at the site if you hate it? You may say it's a pain in the ass, but you still develop for it. And as an end user to sit and say (in effect) hey, I paid 200+ for this thing + batteries and a charger + SD cards, and I can't wait until support dries up for it and goes away. I can understand someone might not like the machine, but why call it a pos on a website dedicated to fans of the machine? Nobody really has any more "right" than anyone else to be here and I wouldn't ask a mod to remove his post or anything, but why post shit that's just going to get annoying. If he doesn't own a gp2x and is just waiting for the Pandora, then he should stick to the Pandora. He has a right to his opinion and a right to express it, but I have a right to rebut what he says in a public forum. There were about 10 other people who objected to his post, why did you jump on me?

Furthermore, comparing the gp2x unfavorably to a device you have never used or even seen is ridiculous. You may turn out to absolutely hate the Pandora for all you know. Get lost.

Before the GP2X came out everyone said it'd be friggin awesome, where were you to tell them that it might actually suck? Although maybe that would have been nice ;p

If people can accept the GP2X then I think something is going to have be very, very wrong with the Pandora for them not to accept that too - the reason people think GP2X is great is because of the software, and the Pandora is absolutely going to get the same kind of software development that the GP2X got. I doubt it'll have worse problems than GP2X, we already know 100% that it won't have some of them. You can tell quite a lot about something just by where all the ports are.

Actually, I was very disappointed with the gp2x. I didn't think it was enough of an upgrade to the gp32, and I held off buying it for well over a year, probably closer to 2, but support dried up for gp32 and I was drawn by the lighted screen, better Atari 2600 emulation and better Mame versions and the ability to use the ultra cheap sd cards vs discontinued SMC cards going for nearly a dollar a meg.. In some ways, I still think the gp32 is better than the gp2x. Better screen (but mine is non-lit), much better joystick, better battery life.
Anyway, comparing something you don't own, and have never seen or touched is silly. I also didn't say it might suck, I just said he might not like it. It most likely will turn out to be a great successor to the gpxx line of systems (Ive softened up on it a lot). I especially like the UMPC features of it, but even if I splurge for it, I'll still use the gp2x for certain things. I'm sure all the games I like won't be ported over to the Pandora and since it's linux based, I don't think the support will dry up as quickly as it did for the gp32. One problem I really hope it doesn't have which seems to affect both gp systems is low volume from the built in speakers.

Isn't ntsc 525 scan (horizontal) lines? The resolution of vcr tapes and dvd's is usually vertical resolution.

I had a feeling someone might say that but no, that's very misleading. It's timed to 525 scanlines per two frames, so there are 262.5 per frame. That really means 262 or 263. Since old consoles are usually in "non-interlaced" mode they keep sending the same 262 (even) or 263 (odd) fields per frame, with the other roughly half not being used, causing you to see black lines where they are (but since the phosphors bleed out of their shadow masks it doesn't look 50% black, more like 30%). But the thing is, these don't all correspond to actual physical scanlines on the screen. A lot of them are timing periods used for synchronization, blanking, etc. No console that I know of sends out more than 240-242 or so on NTSC for the active display (as in, graphical data corresponding to what should be on the screen), it'll send out some other fixed color for the rest. But the TVs themselves usually have less scanlines than that, or they're covered up by plastic borders around the screen. 224 is about a good safe number, which is why later NTSC consoles only showed this much (to give more time for vblank periods)

The left/right edges are also cut off too, in varying amounts.
[/quote]
I recall someone (probably you) explaining that once before about games putting out blanks between updates. But I assume in interlace mode you can get at least 480 lines of resolution visible on the screen? Many of the newer gaming systems can run in 640x480 and that Saturn can go into 700 and something too, if my memory serves me correctly.

WizardStan said:
kuehnau said:
Then you probably don't want a Pandora. I did a lot of research into the portable scene. I had almost settled on a GP2X with a fold away keyboard add on when I noticed the Pandora, and that had everything I was looking for in a tight little package. If it has features you don't think you'll ever use, find something that does have just the features you're looking for.
From your description, it sounds like all you want is the open gaming, which suggests either a GP2X or a PSP with hacked firmware. They're both significantly cheaper than the Pandora is slated for, and don't have the features you don't seem to want getting in the way (well, PSP has wifi)

There is no handheld with gaming controls that offers anywhere near the CPU performance Pandora will. If you want nothing more than something that plays the same kind of software that a GP2X does, but does a better job at it, and hopefully won't have the same kind of design flaws, then Pandora is not only the best choice but it's close to the only choice. Unwanted features don't have to "get in the way."

Exophase said:
WizardStan said:
kuehnau said:

There is no handheld with gaming controls that offers anywhere near the CPU performance Pandora will. If you want nothing more than something that plays the same kind of software that a GP2X does, but does a better job at it, and hopefully won't have the same kind of design flaws, then Pandora is not only the best choice but it's close to the only choice. Unwanted features don't have to "get in the way."

I agree. I don't think the PSP is a good replacement for the gp2x, but it is a shame that the price difference between the two is so extreme, here in the US. We also could be looking at an even higher price should there be any major storms to hit the Gulf of Mexico this year and there is a strong La Nina which means a higher than usual number of storms and intensity. Any significant slowdown in oil production could crash the whole deck of cards (but the Pandora will be the least of your worries). Also, it seems very possible that Israel will attack Iran before the presidential change, knowing Bush will back them and that the newly elected president might not. I've been watching peak oil and the Iran situation closely and I think it could be poised to cause real problems before the end of the year. Even if none of this happens, speculation in the markets could cause the dollar to drop even more and there is little reason to believe the Fed will be able to stop it, particularly with such low interest rates (which causes more money to be created, thus devaluing the dollar), raising the interest rate would crash the economy.

When you use the inner controls, do the outer controls disable? It seems like they could very well get in the way, literally, accidentally hitting the digital controls when using the analog controls.

Chris

christo930 said:
When you use the inner controls, do the outer controls disable? It seems like they could very well get in the way, literally, accidentally hitting the digital controls when using the analog controls.
That'll be entirely up to the program you're using.

christo930 said:
I agree. I don't think the PSP is a good replacement for the gp2x
There is no reason why. Being "open" doesn't mean anything to end users. The "better screen" argument is highly debatable - and by no means a reason to give up all the benefits that the PSP has over the GP2X.QUOTE
...[a bunch of garbage about riots and earthquakes and famine and the plague - stuff that has nothing to do with anything]...
um.. okay...

chad78 said:
christo930 said:
I agree. I don't think the PSP is a good replacement for the gp2x
There is no reason why. Being "open" doesn't mean anything to end users. The "better screen" argument is highly debatable - and by no means a reason to give up all the benefits that the PSP has over the GP2X.QUOTE
...[a bunch of garbage about riots and earthquakes and famine and the plague - stuff that has nothing to do with anything]...
um.. okay...

I didn't say anything about Earthquakes, Famine, riots or anything else. I simply mentioned that it is very possible that the value of the US Dollar will continue to go down, making the Pandora more expensive than it already is. I didn't want to say I think the dollar may continue to go down without giving reasons, so I gave them.

Chris

WizardStan said:
Aye, that was entirely directed at Nubie and his 30' projector screen. I agree, on anything a few inches across, it doesn't matter, nor even on a regular TV sitting 8 feet away, but on my 20" monitor when I'm barely a foot away, without filtering the images are way too sharp for my liking. There are some filters (bilinear for example, as you say, or 2xSal) that make the images look fuzzy, but others, like Super Eagle or the HQX algorithms actually produce a more rounded, organic image that I personally find much more appealing in such situations.
But again, it's all personal opinion. Some like the sharp images, others prefer the rounded.
In the interest of peace, I present seam carving. Imagine an emulator that could do this in real time. No fuzziness!

I didn't say 30' screen (somebody else did). I said my projector could do native pixel resolution NES games at 30" diagonal.

That is a cool link on youtube, pretty neat.

The GP2X is and remains a great bit of kit. I'm sorry to hear that it will no longer be manufactured and I'm a bit confused why the F200 was released at all.

I am lucky to have a PSP, DS, F100 & F200 and I use the F100 far more than any of the others. I do intend to get the Pandora but what ever happens the GP2X will always have pride of place. :gp2x

chad78 said:
Being "open" doesn't mean anything to end users.

It does to those end users, specifically this end user, who doesn't want to have to hack his firmware(or whatever) just to be able to get it to run homebrew. That's the main reason i got a gp2x instead of a psp.

Spectralist said:
It does to those end users, specifically this end user, who doesn't want to have to hack his firmware(or whatever) just to be able to get it to run homebrew. That's the main reason i got a gp2x instead of a psp.
*You* don't have to hack anything - just download and install by following the simple, step-by-step instructions, usually with screenshots, and/or video. No different than having to install the software from the Internet to run emus / homebrew on the GP2X, (or any other system). It can't be sent with the emulators, so you have to install them. Just like you do on the PSP.

Next...

Oh yeah exactly like the gp2x, just unzip it to a sd card and click on it.

If you have an unpatched copy of GTA LCS, you can upgrade to 3.03, downgrade to 1.5 and then install 3.03 OE [which is like 3.03 except it has homebrew and a built in ISO (copied/downloaded UMD) loader. This works for any motherboard...

If you don't have an unpatched copy of GTA LCS then the highest you can downgrade is 2.71 [you need to know which kinda MB you have, and get the appropriate downgrader [see Nimo's sticky]. TA-082 use the TA-082 one, 079 use the other one... The beauty of having GTA LCS and the 3.03 downgrader is you don't need to worry about which MB you have, it detects it and patches it is needed for you!

NOTE: You need an unpatched copy of this game, to find out, pop it in ur PSP and check what version the update is, if it is higher than 2.00 [ex 2.71,2.81, etc] then it is no good! Mine is exactly 2.00 so mine would be good.

That's REALLY old. Nowadays you just get someone to pop a Pandora battery in there and press X 3 times and that's it, unlocked. Any PSP, any version, even bricked ones.

Sphinxter said:
Tinnus said:
That's REALLY old. Nowadays you just get someone to pop a Pandora battery in there and press X 3 times and that's it, unlocked. Any PSP, any version, even bricked ones.
So you need a bob? Where's an up to date source?

No, a pandora battery. They even make them to buy now. Here's one from amazon.com.

It's easier than ever :D

It's just a battery modified to send some spacial data back to the hardware (0xFFFFFFFF serial number), which then makes the PSP go into service mode and boot form the memory stick instead of the flash.

Most batteries (and all official ones) can be soft-converted by popping them into a PSP that's already unlocked and running a simple program. Alternately, you can just open the cover and solder 2 pins, i think. Some people even made ones with switches :)

..or you could just ge tone of those as well :)

Back