The Gp2x Is Dead!

I wonder if GPH is going all out to beat Pandora to the punch. With Pandora delayed with no firm release date its now or never for GPH. Releasing after Pandora could prove to be disastrous.

DisgruntleElf said:
I wonder if GPH is going all out to beat Pandora to the punch. With Pandora delayed with no firm release date its now or never for GPH. Releasing after Pandora could prove to be disastrous.
That wouldn't make sense - the main distributors of the gp2x are the developers of the Pandora.
If GPH would want to compete against the Pandora, that wouldn't work.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the Pandora, they talked to me about their new device summer last year, before Pandora has even been announced anywhere.

I'm gonna stock both and support both if there is the demand. But let's see what'll come from GPH. If it is cheap and a bit better than the gp2x, it can well live besides the Pandora.

Last edited:
efegea said:
In another thread with same topic title as this thread but on pandora forums, craigix has said that the SoC that could be used by GPH could be the MagicEyes Pollux. It makes sense.

http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_pollux.asp

Yeah but I don't see the point in this new console. Yeah it will have 3D capability like everyone else, big fuckin' deal, get in line. It will also probably have a 4" 480 x 272 widescreen as well as that is what the Pollux dev system is. As you know that is a shitty resolution for emulators as it is an in-between resolution that forces fractional stretching for just about everything, not pretty. So if it is not very good for emulators that what will be its main advantage? 3D? The PSP has 3D already and has and always will have more support. Commercial titles? Again they could never compete with the PSP or DS for that. It seems like they want to try to come out with a "me too" console to compete with the big boys. Maybe they saw the Pandora with 3D and just want to try to compete with that, but they won't with the weaker Pollux. Again I bet it will be something like the XGP. That really doesn't fill any niche though.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
XGP-styled device sounds cool
Why bother, just get a PSP it is the same in function only much more supported. There is no point to the XGP, and no reason for it to exist. That is probably why it never came out ;)

DaveC said:
It seems like they want to try to come out with a "me too" console to compete with the big boys. Maybe they saw the Pandora with 3D and just want to try to compete with that, but they won't with the weaker Pollux. Again I bet it will be something like the XGP. That really doesn't fill any niche though.
Do you read the post from EvilDragon before? No? Then I quote it for you:

That wouldn't make sense - the main distributors of the gp2x are the developers of the Pandora.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the Pandora, they talked to me about their new device summer last year, before Pandora has even been announced anywhere.

I'm gonna stock both and support both if there is the demand. But let's see what'll come from GPH. If it is cheap and a bit better than the gp2x, it can well live besides the Pandora.

@EvilDragon

As I said in the german forum: Yes there is demand. Even if I'm perhaps the only one...

Regards,
Stephan

Unfortunately GPH has a terrible track record for making fundamental mistakes in their hardware, and of ignoring the community. The only way I see a new device from them working is if it's a $99 device where the risk of buying it is not so high. That would be kinda cool.

GunPei2X said:
Unfortunately GPH has a terrible track record for making fundamental mistakes in their hardware
..by leaving GamePark

DaveC said:
quasist said:
XGP-styled device sounds cool
Why bother, just get a PSP it is the same in function only much more supported. There is no point to the XGP, and no reason for it to exist. That is probably why it never came out ;)

See you pushing regular SD card with opensouce software in PSP :D

All that is needed for improved GP2X is full backwards compatibility, a proper d-pad and beefier MMSP2 processor and perhaps slightly better build quality of the unit. Keep the screen the same size and resolution. With a more powerful processor we may even get a full speed SNES emu this time and further improvements to Mame and amiga

Overclocked to 290mhz, I get fullspeed snes.... Of course, most people cant do that. XD

EvilDragon said:
DisgruntleElf said:

This doesn't make sense to me. GPH's products and Pandora will be competitors.
They may have different designs and specs but they are both after the same market. Just because one was announced before the other doesn't change the fact that they are both gunning for the same buck. Your stocking both won't hurt your sales but every Pandora sold will affect GPH's bottomline. I highly doubt that GPH will be selling Pandora. The GP2X's natives are getting restless. It would be in GPH's best interest to beat Pandora to the punch. Whether the GP2X community/developers buys into both handhelds remains to be seen.

DaveC said:
efegea said:
In another thread with same topic title as this thread but on pandora forums, craigix has said that the SoC that could be used by GPH could be the MagicEyes Pollux. It makes sense.

http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_pollux.asp

Yeah but I don't see the point in this new console. Yeah it will have 3D capability like everyone else, big fuckin' deal, get in line. It will also probably have a 4" 480 x 272 widescreen as well as that is what the Pollux dev system is. As you know that is a shitty resolution for emulators as it is an in-between resolution that forces fractional stretching for just about everything, not pretty. So if it is not very good for emulators that what will be its main advantage? 3D? The PSP has 3D already and has and always will have more support. Commercial titles? Again they could never compete with the PSP or DS for that. It seems like they want to try to come out with a "me too" console to compete with the big boys. Maybe they saw the Pandora with 3D and just want to try to compete with that, but they won't with the weaker Pollux. Again I bet it will be something like the XGP. That really doesn't fill any niche though.

Site says:

Display Subsystem
Supports screen size up to 1280 x 1024@60Hz
Supports Flat Panel I/F: Color TFT at 16, 18, 24 bit//Pixel, STN-LCD
Display Layers
- RGB Layer : 2 Layer, 8/16/24bpp Format
- YUV Layer : YUV4:2:0, 2D/Linear Format, Scale Up/Down
Effects : Color Key, Priority, Alpha Blending(16 Levels)
Color Control : Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation
Output Format
- CCIR 601/656, RGB, M-RGB(Multiplexed RGB)
Supports NTSC/PAL Encoder with Analog DAC
- CVBS Output
Independent Dual Display Output
Advanced 3D Graphics
3D Performance : 133M Texel/sec, 1.33M Polygon/sec
3D Texture Mapping, Lighting, Shading, Fogging
Z-Buffer, Alpha Blending
Open GL ES 1.1 support

jbrodack said:
If the are coming out with a new console they really should retain backwards compatibility with the gp2x.
Are you serious!? They didn't manage to make the F100 compatible with the F100(B), nor the F200 with the F200(with different screen).
Never, never will the new device be compatible in any way.

KungPhoo said:
jbrodack said:
If the are coming out with a new console they really should retain backwards compatibility with the gp2x.
Are you serious!? They didn't manage to make the F100 compatible with the F100(B), nor the F200 with the F200(with different screen).

Hmm, all programs I use are running without problems on an early F-100 and an F-200.

quasist said:
See you pushing regular SD card with opensouce software in PSP :D

I use a MicroSD card. And I don't care if software is open source or not - as long as it is good. And PSP homebrew stuff is good.

KungPhoo said:
jbrodack said:

Not to mention that the new console is thought to use the "Pollux" chip. Totally incompatible.

DaveC said:
KungPhoo said:
jbrodack said:

Not to mention that the new console is thought to use the "Pollux" chip. Totally incompatible.

Did no one notice I used the word "should" when I said that. Doesn't mean that I expect it to happen just that it would be a smart move on the part of GPH to do that. Of course GPH often makes decisions that defy conventional logic.

it seems it's sold out everywhere, I ordered mine July 1 from play asia and now its listed as sold out. I am glad I got it when I did..I figure the Pandora won't be ready for prime time for another half a year and by then I can easily sell my f200 online if it turns out the pandora is better, otherwise Ill just keep my f200.

DaveC said:
Wait, Craig just made a complete guess about that, nobody knows anything. Why do you keep looking for reasons not to buy a new GPH machine when you know nothing about it yet?

Back