The Gp2x Is Dead!

palmertech

Ok, normally I do not post almost identical threads like this, (There is a thread I made in GP2X general) but considering that this has a different focus (And the fact that the GP2X General forum is near dead compared to the Pandora forum), I thought it was justified.

Anyway: There has been a lot of discussion about how the Pandora will not entirely displace the GP2X because of the lower price, the challenge of coding for a lower end platform, and the fact that it has an established scene. However, these arguments likely no longer apply, as the GP2X has finally ceased production. What effect is the demise of the GP2X likely to have on the Pandora? Discuss.

(Also, mods, please tell me if this kind of posting is not allowed. Sorry if it is not).

The gp2x was a POS and I'm glad to see the pandora take its place; even if it is a disaster it would never top the gp2x in terms of failing in every category it tried to compete in. The software is great but man what a platform to waste all that effort on. Thankfully it can all be ported to an ARM device with some semblance of quality.

Honestly I wish the pandora forum was somewhere else to distance it from these flaky doomed handhelds.

Meh, my only hope is that translates into low eBay pricing.
Ebay- exploiting failures since 1912.

How can you call the gp2x a POS!?! It had a turmendous following and probably inspire a good portion of the people working on the pandora to do homebrew coding. It may not have been as great of the pandora, but it was still a really nice system to have. :angry:

I didn't know GPH ceased production of the GP2X. Is the '2X considered a success, even though it was only made for a couple years?

Anyway, the GP2X/Pandora sharing the same community can only mean good things for the Pandora. Lots of GP2X ports will likely come our way, and it will be nice to enjoy those ports on a proper D-Pad and a screen that can do them justice. ;)

Spadoof said:
How can you call the gp2x a POS!?! It had a turmendous following and probably inspire a good portion of the people working on the pandora to do homebrew coding. It may not have been as great of the pandora, but it was still a really nice system to have. :angry:
Yeah! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I really like my GP2X still. I plan on getting a Pandora but I hope updates still come out for the GP2X, if not system just the programs currently on it. I think if I don't play it my neices and nephews enjoy it immensly.

Also, I think it was a success, GPH doesn't have the finacial power that Nintendo does, but I think it paved the way for their next system.

Also, you're viewing things as black and white. I bet when the Pandora is released some people will still prefer the GP2X for whatever reason. The Pandora will only help them also, they'll see that people are willing to pay for opengl, a faster processor, and networking. This stuff is only getting cheaper also, so I bet GPH next system is a lot better and has a bunch of features that the Pandora will have.

Just my thought on the matter, saying what you did about the GP2X was a little harsh. GPH is essentialy the first company to do this, I'm thinking if you ask the creators of the Pandora if it would exist without the GP2X I'm sure they'll say no.

Thanx,
Stan

I think the GP2X was a success too. For such a niche product, selling 30,000 (or maybe more) is awesome. I hope the Pandora can do that and then more. The more people interested in coding and exploring this new and powerful hardware, the better!

By the way, am I the only one who gets Megadeth going through their head when they read "The Gp2X is dead!"? :)

Someone NEEDS to write a song about the GP2X. Preferably not country. Any lyrics writers? I can sing really well, done quite a bit of it.

Stealth Bagel said:
The gp2x was a POS and I'm glad to see the pandora take its place; even if it is a disaster it would never top the gp2x in terms of failing in every category it tried to compete in. The software is great but man what a platform to waste all that effort on. Thankfully it can all be ported to an ARM device with some semblance of quality.

Honestly I wish the pandora forum was somewhere else to distance it from these flaky doomed handhelds.

Hey Ass, realize that before you insult a whole community and the company that created the gp2x, THERE WAS NOTHING LIKE THE GP32 NOR THE GP2X!!! You've only been on this forum for less than a year, and cannot even percieve the amount of work AND TIME it took by this community, and its developers, to create the software for these devices. Even with the gp2x's flaws, there is still nothing that had such a strong following to create anything close as to what the gp2x can deliver.

Please, enlighten us with another system that can do this much emulation of older systems, and homebrew software and games.

My advice, is a mod please lock this thread, before a vicious flame war ensues. Hell, I'd even recommend that they ban your ass for such disloyalty to the gp2x and its community.

DSR

dsraa said:
Stealth Bagel said:

Hey Ass, realize that before you insult a whole community and the company that created the gp2x, THERE WAS NOTHING LIKE THE GP32 NOR THE GP2X!!! You've only been on this forum for less than a year, and cannot even percieve the amount of work AND TIME it took by this community, and its developers, to create the software for these devices. Even with the gp2x's flaws, there is still nothing that had such a strong following to create anything close as to what the gp2x can deliver.

Please, enlighten us with another system that can do this much emulation of older systems, and homebrew software and games.

He didn't disrespect anyone in the post at all, he even said the software is great.. relax, the GP2X really did have some major faults, you have to admit that. "Loyalty" to a piece of electronics is ridiculous.

The GP2X was a very important evolutionary step for the homebrew console community, but I don't see its passing as a disaster.

Most of the programs made for the GP2X weren't written straight onto the metal, they're mostly Linux + SDL apps that could be ported to other Linux-based platforms without a colossal amount of effort. A lot of emulators are somewhat ARM-specific as well, but chances are that future consoles will be ARM-based too - the ARM's the best processor there is for mobile devices, and will be for quite some time to come I expect.

So people who have a GP2X can continue to enjoy it, and over time the scene will shift to the Pandora and possibly other consoles, but nothing will really be lost.

Gruso said:
:lol: I'm down for penning some Megadeth inspired '2X anthems. "Symphony of Instructions", that sort of thing.
The first time you open the Pandora it should play the classical intro bit from Symphony :p

Anyway, I think the GP2X was fairly successful and even though i didn't have one, I can see that it has it's uses. I think many people will still use their GP2X for some things.

Thats it. A GP2X song NEEDS to be written. Gruso, if you are serious, let me know; If not, I may just try myself.

My GP2X is going to be modded into a super GP2X, far better than anything GPH ever thought up. 5" lcd, Snes dpad and buttons, super loud speaker, 60gb hard drive, 4 port usb hub, and 5 hours of battery life. It will serve as a monument to the software, and a diss to the hardware of the gp2x.

BTW, Gruso, I posted those pics you wanted in the Other consoles gameport thread.

The GP2X definitely was not a disaster, and if it wasn't for all of it's faults, we probably wouldn't be all on board with the Pandora in the first place, let alone making as much progress as we all have (as a community). Things happen for a reason and I did appreciate GPH for all they have done to give me a reason to check hando's site, and ED's archive.

I guess in a weird way, you can think of GPH as your father who separated with your mother and has custody of you; He's not the most equipped for the job, but he does the best he can with in his ability in making sure you have all the stuff you need (even if it's not quite what you wanted/expected). He isn't perfect, and thus you take him for granted, you expected the best, and gets disappointed for not getting the best; Even though he is doing all that is in his power to get you as close to best as possible. And in all of this, without his mistake, you would have never grown up and have such a beautiful son...we all know who the son is in this story...right?

I believe that pandora will not live long. It will be momentaly (in less that a year) smashed by a wave of more coolest opensoure handhelds with better design.

Why? Where are all these consoles you speak of? They do not just spring out of thin air, you know.

Back