The Gp2x Is Dead!

cowai said:
Death to GPH, anything that will divide this community must be stopped, in any way!
Death to people who want to cut out the half of the community which isn't interested in the Pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
cowai said:
Death to GPH, anything that will divide this community must be stopped, in any way!
Death to people who want to cut out the half of the community which isn't interested in the Pandora!

Very well written. Full ACK. And death to the hype, don't trust him...

Regards,
Stephan

pandora's separatists shall sufferr...
But I don't think these that come to gp32x on pandora's lusty scent should be listed in GP2X community :) So nothing going to divide.

craigix said:
The more I think about it the more I hope the reason they have moved to the pollux isn't to create some new PSP clone but maybe because the MMSP2 has been discontinued, I am now hoping the GP3X will just be a GP2X with a li-ion battery and a little more horsepower, in other words something along the lines of a GP2X Mini?
But wouldn't a little more horsepower with a 480x272 widescreen and incompatible SoC be kind of a PSP clone (only not as good) ? In that case what would be the niche for a pollux based system like that? Not emulation really because of the screen res. It would be most like an XGP. It would make sense in that case just to buy a PSP and avoid the pollux handheld as it is better and has much more support. I don't see the point. That would kind of be redundant I think.

I would rather they just came out with a MMSP2 GP2X MK3 that would run all of the existing apps but correct all of the flaws and be more compact. It looks like from the ME website that the MMSP2 is still made. It doesn't say it is discontinued. Since it is not the latest and greatest most uber powerful, it could be super cheap like one of those Chinese MP4 players and come ready to run emus and apps out of the box on day one. Anyone wanting a super powerful unit would just get a Pandora or at least a PSP, not a pollux.

DaveC said:
craigix said:
The more I think about it the more I hope the reason they have moved to the pollux isn't to create some new PSP clone but maybe because the MMSP2 has been discontinued, I am now hoping the GP3X will just be a GP2X with a li-ion battery and a little more horsepower, in other words something along the lines of a GP2X Mini?
But wouldn't a little more horsepower with a 480x272 widescreen and incompatible SoC be kind of a PSP clone (only not as good) ? In that case what would be the niche for a pollux based system like that? Not emulation really because of the screen res. It would be most like an XGP. It would make sense in that case just to buy a PSP and avoid the pollux handheld as it is better and has much more support. I don't see the point. That would kind of be redundant I think.

I would rather they just came out with a MMSP2 GP2X MK3 that would run all of the existing apps but correct all of the flaws and be more compact. Since it is not the latest and greatest most uber powerful, it could be super cheap like one of those Chinese MP4 players.

Dave, you crack me up. :lol:

I don't even know why. You just do.

DaveC said:
craigix said:

I would rather they just came out with a MMSP2 GP2X MK3 that would run all of the existing apps but correct all of the flaws and be more compact. It looks like from the ME website that the MMSP2 is still made. It doesn't say it is discontinued. Since it is not the latest and greatest most uber powerful, it could be super cheap like one of those Chinese MP4 players and come ready to run emus and apps out of the box on day one. Anyone wanting a super powerful unit would just get a Pandora or at least a PSP, not a pollux.

Well I'm hoping they will stick with a 320*240, they must have had a lot of emails about that by now. If they really do use the devboard 480*272 LCD they are dead.

If they go with 320*240 and make a little mini system it could go up against things like the JXD/other PMP systems but it would HAVE to be cheaper than the GP2X was.

The JXD screen would be perfect for it.

craigix said:
Well I'm hoping they will stick with a 320*240, they must have had a lot of emails about that by now. If they really do use the devboard 480*272 LCD they are dead.

If they go with 320*240 and make a little mini system it could go up against things like the JXD/other PMP systems but it would HAVE to be cheaper than the GP2X was.

The JXD screen would be perfect for it.
But who will be porting all of the apps to it? It seems most will be doing Pandora stuff by then. I would think a redesigned GP2X mini with full compatibility would make more sense for them. They can't compete in power against Pandora, PSP etc, so they should just go the other way - low price. I would think they could do a GP2X mini for around $75 USD. I could see them selling tons of fully compatible GP2X minis for that price.

Why are you guys always tell us that GPH wants to produce a "PSP clone"? What the heck is a "PSP clone"?

What they mean by PSP clone, is a device with similar power to the PSP, but little or no extra features. It doesn't necessarily have to look like it.

Orkie said:
I *really* don't think whatever GPH produce will look like any of those.
Yeah...GPH makes mistakes, but they're not THAT stupid.

This really sucks. I know the scene isn't dead, but it's now going to be that much more difficult for new people to get a GP2X. And, while I do believe that choice is a good thing, its definitely going to cause a sort of divide in the community.

I probably wouldn't go for an upgraded GP2X. I don't imagine that much more would be possible on it. I already get almost-fullspeed emulation for SNES, and Neo-Geo already works fine. So does PCEngine. No, I probably wouldn't be going for an upgraded system unless it would emulate PSX. Pandora is the only choice for me. Plus I just love how fully featured Pandora will be.

Don't get me wrong though, I still love my GP2X. Sadly I ruined the joystick cap, and now Play-Asia no longer sells them...I'm going to have to imagine up a replacement somehow.

pandora said:
This: http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/...LAYER-Xwtmk.jpg

This: http://media.techeblog.com/images/stony_1.jpg

This: http://www.trendhunter.com/images/phpthumb...3062_1_230.jpeg

The list is endless.
Thats what people are becoming worried about, the new GP2X might become too generic. (one of those horrible chinese "MP5" players). The old GP2X stood out from the growing crowd of funky consoles, this new one is going to have trouble finding a niche.....

I can't see this problems. As long as GPH builds a budget open source console for a relative long period of time there will be enough people who will show interest in it.
The hardware details are not so important imho, it's the software and a strong community. The niche is open source devices.

Regards,
Stephan

jbrodack said:
gp2xstore.com seems to have gotten their very last shipment of gp2x's and accessories so this is probably one of the last places to get a new one.
Yup I just bought one from them as a gift for my little bro. I'll just put a clone of my 8gig card on his system so he's fully loaded and ready to play.

People seem to forget but the gp2x had largely come from suggestions of gp32 users. yes gph actually listened to people. don't believe it look here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=20021 for get this, praise of how gph were handling the gp2x release. also here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=19921 is a little q&a as proof that they did actually communicate with us at least at first. I'm sure others could dig up other similar old threads.

anyone remember I think her name was anna? girl who worked for gph and spoke english. point is that they really tried to communicate with us and give us constant details of developments.

point is that GPH were not as clueless as people think. After anna left there was a lot less direct communication and they kinda lost touch with us but I think they handled the release of the gp2x really well and the good features of the gp2x weren't just there by accident.

not saying that they haven't made stupid decisions (wrongly rotated joystick?!) but some people seem to act like pandora is completely opposite of how things were handled with gp2x. I mean there was even a contest to name the gp2x which was originally gpx2. ok the winner only had 2 letters changed but still they did look for people's input. So basically the way pandora is being handled is fairly nice but not really anything completely new as some would have you believe.

that said I do kinda fear how they would go about making a new console especially since they have lost touch with the community. Maybe they could try to increase communication again to get ready for their new system.

pandora seems to be the way to go for when I'd eventually get a new system but I'm still keeping my options open. Plus I'm not really going to be worrying too much about all this new system stuff as I'm still quite enjoying my gp2x as there are still some nice new development there and more to come with the full source release. should also help open2x as well.

I hope many will continue to enjoy their gp2x for a while to come despite it being "dead"

Great post jbrodack :)

If GPH do manage to come up with a follow up to the GP2X that isn't a complete disaster, there's still a market for it I think. Assuming they keep the price down that is. GP2X compatibility would be great, but if it's ARM based, porting the existing apps wouldn't be hugely difficult. I volunteer in advance ;)

Yeah, jbrodack. Some interesting facts I didn't know before. I agree with you, that communication seems to be difficult with GPH because the existing employes don't speek or understand english very well.

It's good to see at least a few people here, not trying to bash GPH in every post they write.

Regards,
Stephan

Back