Large Joystick Dead Zone In Gp2x

Well, it's sounding good to me- one of my major worries when using a handheld is that I'm wrecking the buttons, because I have quite large hands, so using a handheld or joypad I generally am curled around and push hard, and often hammer buttons. You should try to play my GBA original- the D-Pad has gone all "squishy" and you have to exert a force roughly equal to your own weight on the left and up directions (moving up-left is a herculean task). I'm going to try to fob it off to gamestation for part of my GP2X funds. Must be still worth a fiver or so (I think that's pretty much all they offer for preowned GBA. I still have *all* packaging though, maybe that'll count in my favour ;))

So a sturdy pad with quite a lot of resistance sounds ideal to me :)

If the joystick registers by being "pulled low" when connected to ground (which I'm sure is what it does) it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to mod.

First thing that came to me after seeing those gutted pics of 2X, was whether one could switch the speakers for better ones. :)

Say, is the stick "slippy"? That was my first fear when I saw that it was, hum, convex, was it?

First thing that came to me after seeing those gutted pics of 2X, was whether one could switch the speakers for better ones. :)

Say, is the stick "slippy"? That was my first fear when I saw that it was, hum, convex, was it?

Yeh it does get a bit slippy after awhile, the good news is that its easily removable. I'm hoping GBAX or someone else starts selling concave replacements in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want convex, why not just cut or grind or sandpaper the stick into a convex stick.

Maybe wait until replacement sticks come out.

Or we could get one made with that super stuff that IBM cursor nubs come with.

You know, the stuff that is spiky and grabs onto your skin really well.

On a similar note, who makes this joystick?

it seems very professional compared to the GP32.

In fact, it seems very professional compared to all of the joypads I have ever opened(NES, SNES, PSX, DC, N64,Genesis, MS sidewinder, etc)

the joystik-thingy looks very similar to the GP32 one. although the GP32 one was a lot simplet (just 4 directions).

It might be a good idea to get a very short L-shaped headphones extension cable, then attach it to the unit semi permanently.

That'll reduce alot of wear on the jack. As for speakers. Its easy enough. Find the right size, desolder and resolder. With only 2 wires, can't be too hard ^_^

Am I wrong or do the new pictures from EvilDragon show that the joystick can be opened up?

It most likely can, but don't forget those little clips are actually soldered through to the other side of the board, so you probably need to desolder and remove the joystick from the board before being able to modify it.

Did that, easily possible. There's no electronic circuit below the switch, so you can carefully lift it with a small screwdriver while desoldering the pins.

Last edited:

Yeh it does get a bit slippy after awhile, the good news is that its easily removable. I'm hoping GBAX or someone else starts selling concave replacements in the future.

This is a bit of a ghetto fix, But it works very well, As i too think the top of the stick is very slippery.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

As you can see, All i did was cut out a circle from one of the sticky fixers and stuck it on top of the GP2x`s joypad. You can get these (sticky fixers) from most hardware stores, Or maybe WH Smiths. They are about £2.50 for 48 squares, And work very well.

Trooper

Back