The Gp2x Is Dead!

The GP2X is dead. Long live the GP2X!

As GPH are still releasing firmware and have not announced any closedown notices, it's clear to assume that they have just run out of parts for the GP2X and will release a new one if they feel the funds is worthwhile. If the F-800 rumour is true, then they have had a while to produce it.

Sphinxter said:
Does it void the warranty, like if you pop the original battery back in will it revert?

No. If you use a normal batery it will just continue working :p

In the case you had to send it for repairs or something and would be worried about they saying you use non-official firmware, just do the same pandora battery thing again, but installing an official firmware on it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:

As GPH are still releasing firmware and have not announced any closedown notices, it's clear to assume that they have just run out of parts for the GP2X and will release a new one if they feel the funds is worthwhile. If the F-800 rumour is true, then they have had a while to produce it.
It ain't over till its over! I for one am very curious to see what GPH has in store for their next model. I know the bulk load of members here are unhappy with GPH but the d-pad control and touchscreen additions shows that they are listening. GPH definitely needs to work on its quality control and customer relations. Who knows, the third time could be a charm.

DisgruntleElf said:
icurafu said:

It ain't over till its over! I for one am very curious to see what GPH has in store for their next model. I know the bulk load of members here are unhappy with GPH but the d-pad control and touchscreen additions shows that they are listening. GPH definitely needs to work on its quality control and customer relations. Who knows, the third time could be a charm.

Would you be happy if they took the gp32's joypad and incorporated it into the gp2x-next version, upgrade the memory and processing speed, add 3d capabilities (while maintaining backward compatibility), fixed the architectural problems some of the devs complain about, better quality screen suitable for reading and then release it for $179-199 price? That to me, would be the ultimate system they could release.

Chris

christo930 said:
DisgruntleElf said:
Would you be happy if they took the gp32's joypad and incorporated it into the gp2x-next version, upgrade the memory and processing speed, add 3d capabilities (while maintaining backward compatibility), fixed the architectural problems some of the devs complain about, better quality screen suitable for reading and then release it for $179-199 price? That to me, would be the ultimate system they could release.

Chris

Chris, I hope for your sake this is sarcasm, you are living in a dream land, they can't even change the backlight without breaking stuff.

Elf: Um, you are aware that they haven't added a d-pad yet? You do realize that there is no dpad? There are 4 buttons in the vague shape of a d-pad.

There is no freaking pivot and the buttons are not on a common axis, plus they try to simulate the retarded "center press" with a four-button push.

They don't listen, they are stupid.

"The ultimate system they could release", I don't know, maybe one designed by people speaking english, oh wait, that is the Pandora.

Just die GP2X, just die. (I am sorry for all who have yet to get burned by the GP2X, your time is coming, and it will hurt. Some just don't realize the full extent of the hatred GPH has for us. They want your money, the GP2X can't cost more than $80 to put together, and since they clearly don't have an R&D budget why is it priced so high? They have been lying to us from the beginning, the specs that they quoted are clearly false, the abilities never materialized, and they don't have any games or applications. Cut to the Pandora, Craig has been active in trying to make up for the crap GPH pulled, he gets games and apps made, he listens in english and responds with wisdom. I am happy that GPH is pulling out, I just hope they are gone for good, I don't want to see their junk any more.)

nubie said:
There is no freaking pivot and the buttons are not on a common axis, plus they try to simulate the retarded "center press" with a four-button push.
Interestingly, that doesn't even work. Maybe they said they'd give it that function then forgot to.

what's with all the people suddenly talking bad about the gp2x?

there were tons of fanboys when the gp2x got launched, then I got mine and saw how much garbage the thing was...
played it for a month, sold it quick, haven't lose money and been happy with my psp till now :)

the gp2x has been resting in peace since after some weeks I played it for the first time, a dead gp2x is not news to me.

here's hope for the pandora to have everything good the tapwave zodiac had and everything good that the gp2x should've had, coupled with even more power than the psp has :)

I guess I'm the reverse. got a psp at launch and gave it away a few months later after a miserable 10 hours use.

Got the gp2x and have spent hundreds of hours on it even with the average stick. Anyway, it's not perfect, but a lot better than the first PSP.

The D-Pad has a litle getting used to, but it works for anything except SF2 combos. Certainly improved one of the F100 flaws.

icurafu said:
I guess I'm the reverse. got a psp at launch and gave it away a few months later after a miserable 10 hours use.

Got the gp2x and have spent hundreds of hours on it even with the average stick. Anyway, it's not perfect, but a lot better than the first PSP.

The D-Pad has a litle getting used to, but it works for anything except SF2 combos. Certainly improved one of the F100 flaws.
Like you said, the controller takes a little getting used to, but it really isn't that bad. Not nearly as bad as peple make it out to be. I've gotten many hours of enjoyment out of my gp2x. I'm not really that fond of fighting games, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me too much.

I really do miss the gp32's stick. I remember when the gp32 was king of the hill, everyone loved the stick (other than it's breaking occasionally) and when they released the gp2x they took away the joystick? Doesn't really make much sense. Had the designer spent a couple of hours looking at posts on gp32x.de he would have improved reliability (not that it was that bad to begin with) and reused it. The only thing I can think of is that they licensed the design off of someone else and didn't want to pay the license fee again. Why reinvent the wheel, when the one you have is great?

From my point of view the gp2x only has a few problems
1 The screen is not suitable for reading, but they advertise the Gp2x as an e-book reader. Just because you can display text, doesn't make an e-book reader.
2 The joystick could be better. I'm pretty much used to it, but there are times when it gets in the way.
3 The battery life could be better, but I definitely prefer standard batteries, even at the expense of battery life. Maybe a better design could have upped the life, but at 200mhz the machine gives almost 5 hours of life so carrying an extra set of batteries brings it up to 10 hours. More than enough for me. There are a lot of people who over clock the cpu to 275 mhz then complain about battery life.

I am aware that there are issues that the developers don't like, but they don't DIRECTLY affect me, although I'm sure that some devs canceled some projects due to them not having fun coding for the machine. But as an end user, these things really don't effect me.

Other than these, I think the machine is great. I love the ability to play mame on the bus and takes games from like 10 different system and put them all on one sd card and put it in my pocket. Emulation improves many games because I can save the progress at any time and play a long game 10 minutes at a time. Who has time to sit and play sonic all the way through in one sitting which is the only way to do it with a genesis, but with a gp2x you can play as long as you feel like, then save the progress and turn it off. The only realistic alternative is a hacked psp, which starts off cheaper, but then you have to buy a Pandora battery and memory sticks are more money than SD cards and the screen on the gp2x is more in line with the games I play than a wide screen like the sony psp has. And the Pandora battery didn't exist (at least to my knowledge) at the time I bought my gp2x, so it was really much worse having to play with bioses and taking a chance at bricking the machine. I also read that there were a lot of fake bios changers that would deliberately brick your machine. I guess it gets down to the fact that the PSP was not made for emulators and home brew software.

I am quite sure the Pandora will be a great machine, but it really wouldn't be a reality without the gp32 and gp2x that preceded it. Also, the Pandora wasn't available a year ago when I bought my gp2x or 4 1/2 years ago when I bought my gp32. When and if I get bored with my gp2x or some piece of software comes out that I just have to have, then maybe I'll retire the gp2x. Until then, I'm sure my game park machines will serve me well. If it broke or got stolen and there were enough units on ebay to drive the price down enough, I would replace it with another gp2x. If not, or if the gp2x was near full price, I'd buy the Pandora.

Chris

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
what's with all the people suddenly talking bad about the gp2x?

there were tons of fanboys when the gp2x got launched, then I got mine and saw how much garbage the thing was...
played it for a month, sold it quick, haven't lose money and been happy with my psp till now :)

the gp2x has been resting in peace since after some weeks I played it for the first time, a dead gp2x is not news to me.

here's hope for the pandora to have everything good the tapwave zodiac had and everything good that the gp2x should've had, coupled with even more power than the psp has :)
Hmm, why are there lots of new software each day for the Gp2x when the GP2x is dead? Hurry and tell the devs that they are developing for a dead system!
The GP2x is not dead sir, but you're an ignorant.

sbock said:
Hmm, why are there lots of new software each day for the Gp2x when the GP2x is dead? Hurry and tell the devs that they are developing for a dead system!

Hey, here's an idea - let's define a word two different ways - and when someone doesn't agree with the definition we choose to use, we call them creative, grammatically correct, and intelligent sounding insults like "an ignorant"..... :rolleyes:

DEAD either means - it's not being made anymore - or - it's not being developed for anymore.

The GP2X is "dead" in the sense that it isn't being made any more.
The GP2X is not "dead" in the sense that software is still being made for it.

Can we shut up about that now? Thanks.

chad78 said:
sbock said:

Hey, here's an idea - let's define a word two different ways - and when someone doesn't agree with the definition we choose to use, we call them creative, grammatically correct, and intelligent sounding insults like "an ignorant"..... :rolleyes:

DEAD either means - it's not being made anymore - or - it's not being developed for anymore.

The GP2X is "dead" in the sense that it isn't being made any more.
The GP2X is not "dead" in the sense that software is still being made for it.

Can we shut up about that now? Thanks.
No, that doesn't work. The post I reply to stated that the GP2x died long ago. So you need at least a third definition.
How is this variant: "The GP2x was born dead" ?
Sorry, but this is a plain wrong phrase, ignoring all facts and is a subjective statement.
You should read the whole thread before you give clever tips like these. :rolleyes:

Forget my previous post then.

I defined dead as, the spirit of the GP2X community emroiled in a crystal being shattered into five small shards by the evil Sony executives and scattered around the world.

Either way, the GP2X is not dead in any context until GPH give up on it as a brand name.

icurafu said:
Either way, the GP2X is not dead in any context until GPH give up on it as a brand name.
Well said.

Regards,
Stephan

The reason there were so many fanboys to the gp2x is because when it came out there was nothing else to compete with it. And now that there is something immensely better on the horizon people who were before mindless fanboys are now gaining the perspective they needed to see that the 2x was built like shit by a company who never cared about its customers and had no idea they even used it for gaming..... it came right from Craig or Evildragon some time ago that GPH only discovered people didn't use it as a video player when they personally showed GPH the games, and this was what, 2 years after release?!

Not to mention that if we were all buying gp2x's for playing video we'd have to be fucking batty. The video player app is lousy and every time I used it, it would crash while seeking. Oh and don't even get me started on the audio player which would have the progress bar extend BEYOND ITS BOUNDARIES saying I was on minute 7 and a half of a 6 MINUTE SONG...... god even the photo viewer was shit. GPH Can't do anything right and I hope they never try again and just move on so I can stop hearing people extoll the virtues of the "next gp2x" which if it ever happens will be another catastrophic diarrhea mess if not worse.

The pandora will automatically be better by virtue of the internal chipset, which is fucking stellar. All they have to do is not botch the controls this time and use solder with some lead in it that won't lead to components falling off left and right and we should be just about guaranteed a good product. And to those desparate fanboys clinging to the gp2x because they are upset they spent money on a now-dead product line can just bitch and moan all they want but it won't change the fact they got screwed and need to be satisfied with the software and enjoy it and STOP BITCHING or shut the hell up and start saving for a pandora.

Or just get a PSP. By no means perfect hardware by a long shot, but it sure as hell puts me through less aggravation than the gp2x did and a far superior emulation machine in every regard except the screen res, which if you can tolerate some very reasonable letterboxing isn't even an issue. The PSP controls are nothing impressive but it beats the pants off the gp2x which made me want to chuck it thru a fucking window attempting to beat the first goddamn stage in SMB1.

From what i've seen on news items on the Pandora, it seems more like the Pandora is in a dead phase right now. The blog has not changed for some time now. I would have expected some more demo material by now, but alas.

Stealth Bagel said:
The reason there were so many fanboys to the gp2x is because when it came out there was nothing else to compete with it. And now that there is something immensely better on the horizon people who were before mindless fanboys are now gaining the perspective they needed to see that the 2x was built like shit by a company who never cared about its customers and had no idea they even used it for gaming..... it came right from Craig or Evildragon some time ago that GPH only discovered people didn't use it as a video player when they personally showed GPH the games, and this was what, 2 years after release?!

Not to mention that if we were all buying gp2x's for playing video we'd have to be fucking batty. The video player app is lousy and every time I used it, it would crash while seeking. Oh and don't even get me started on the audio player which would have the progress bar extend BEYOND ITS BOUNDARIES saying I was on minute 7 and a half of a 6 MINUTE SONG...... god even the photo viewer was shit. GPH Can't do anything right and I hope they never try again and just move on so I can stop hearing people extoll the virtues of the "next gp2x" which if it ever happens will be another catastrophic diarrhea mess if not worse.

The pandora will automatically be better by virtue of the internal chipset, which is fucking stellar. All they have to do is not botch the controls this time and use solder with some lead in it that won't lead to components falling off left and right and we should be just about guaranteed a good product. And to those desparate fanboys clinging to the gp2x because they are upset they spent money on a now-dead product line can just bitch and moan all they want but it won't change the fact they got screwed and need to be satisfied with the software and enjoy it and STOP BITCHING or shut the hell up and start saving for a pandora.

Or just get a PSP. By no means perfect hardware by a long shot, but it sure as hell puts me through less aggravation than the gp2x did and a far superior emulation machine in every regard except the screen res, which if you can tolerate some very reasonable letterboxing isn't even an issue. The PSP controls are nothing impressive but it beats the pants off the gp2x which made me want to chuck it thru a fucking window attempting to beat the first goddamn stage in SMB1.
Are you trying to play SMB1 with your feet or something? It is not that hard. After a few hours on the gp2x (f100) I got used to the at first anoying stick. If you can't get through the first stage, then may I suggest not trying to play SMB1 at all :D

Back