The Gp2x Is Dead!

one of my fave handhelds of all time was the Gameboy advance SP.

Why? It was amazingly small, simple, and pretty:

gameboy_advance_sp.jpg

Screen was not very bright but it was a nice barebones handheld.

There will always be a market for that, as Nintendo has shown with their phenomenal sales.

But there is also a hungry (unserved) market for the Pandora and we all eagerly await it.

andyB911 said:
If you were thinking of going to www.gp2x.com to see if GPH have any news on their 'new' machine (or company demise) and you are using IE, then don't. Their company web-site has a script virus.... It certainly affects IE - I haven't had a chance (or really any intention now) of re-visiting with Firefox but suspect it will be ok.
There is STILL this Virus? Are GPH never visit it's own site or do these guys never tried a anti virus program? I'm sure enough people notified GPH because of this Virus.
One of the GPH releated things I can't understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
we're all going Pandora natch, but I'll likely get the new GPH too, but its going to divide the community a bit perhaps..
Community divided.....
Those who can afford Pandora, those who can afford GPH, and those that can afford both(I suspect these members will be the least liked).

It's gonna be complete anarchy. :lol:

DisgruntleElf said:
Community divided.....
Those who can afford Pandora, those who can afford GPH, and those that can afford both(I suspect these members will be the least liked).

It's gonna be complete anarchy. :lol:
Choice is a good thing. I will certainly buy a Pandora because of the combination keyboard + game controllers. That's something we will not see from Sony Nintendo or GPH, so no competition at all for the Pandora. The new GPH toy should really have something to add, to get me buying one.
The compatibility with GP2X is a very big bonus though.. so will see..

For me as a homebrew enthusiast the next generation of opensource handhelds after gp2x is not that intresting.
I'll better buy a VR helmet to homebrew with new fetish gaming pleasures :)

craigix said:
It's also worth considering the new GP2X is very unlikely to have any wifi or bluetooth.
Ah yes. Thanks for this useful comment. So my car, my TV, my monitor, my printer, my scanner have no wlan or bluetooth. So they are not useful or what? But perhaps not all people need this features...

skeezix said:
heya DaveC ..

edit: By ratio being not too bad, consider; ST is 320x200 commonly; 320*1.5 == 480 so good match there; 200*1.5 is 300, and compared to 272/etc not too bad, but a little scrunch. Sure, a true 320x200 mode is ideal, but no modern device is going to be made with such a low resolution device. I prefer VGA modes myself .. 640x480 is a nice solid size with good ratios...
1.5? anything with fractional scaling looks uuuuuglyyyy. Well to me anyway. If you don't blurr the hell out of that with a filter then you get that blocky looking distortion as some pixels are doubled, others are not. If you do bilinear it you loose sharpness and contrast, no thanks. The best looking is 1:1, 2:1, 3:1...both directions etc.

480x272 is too low for any VGA 640x480 PC games, and too high for stuff like NeoGeo etc. I don't know where they came up with that resolution from. I guess it was Sony that thought it would be cool to take a 480 x 320 res screen and cut out pixels to make a kludge widescreen out of it. I don't see the advantage of it.

b_o_b said:
The compatibility with GP2X is a very big bonus though.. so will see..
I call bullshit on that compatibility flummery. A totally different SoC means no GP2X compatibility. I suppose they mean it will be compatible if it only uses SDL with nothing custom. What GP2X software does that?

DaveC said:
I call bullshit on that compatibility flummery. A totally different SoC means no GP2X compatibility. I suppose they mean it will be compatible if it only uses SDL with nothing custom. What GP2X software does that?
That isn't good enough, it would have to dynamically link it and probably almost nothing does that.

DaveC said:
I suppose they mean it will be compatible if it only uses SDL with nothing custom. What GP2X software does that?
My one. If I remove the Ramhack code.

I also believe that there will be a problem in button mapping.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
That isn't good enough, it would have to dynamically link it and probably almost nothing does that.

Yeah I guess their 100% compatibility goes to 0% pretty quick.

DaveC said:
For someone who claims to know as much as you do, you sure can be stupid sometimes (excuse me for being harsh; this is not my tradition, but there are certain types of people who manage to get under my skin, and after a while, something must be said to alleviate my frustration).

I'm not the smartest person in the world, but hasn't freaking history proven that just because hardware architecture couldn't be any more different from the system it is attempting to emulate, that it isn't possible?

Journey with me, dear readers, as I take a stroll down emulation lane:

Ex 01:
System: Playstation 2 (EE architecture)
Emulated console: SNES (ARM processors and a whole lot of other whacky shit)
Emulator: SNES Station
Site/Proof: http://snes-station.gamebase.ca/

Ex 02:
System: Xbox 360
Emulated console: Xbox (COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROCESSORS AND HARDWARE)
Emulator: In-house Microsoft developed emulator
Site/Proof: Pop in an X-Box game into a 360

I could go on, but I grow tired of this post, and of DaveC's negative freaking attitude.

Now, are either one of these emulated examples by any means perfect? No. But it is proof that emulation can be freaking done (and for those who want the best example of an underpowered system emulating another console at full speed/sound that full well shouldn't be able to but does, google 'imb nes' for the psone) with the right programmers behind it.

Additionally, I understand I could be completely wrong, and no compatibility may ever be achieved..but I'm not as close-minded as Dave is.

Finally: DaveC: subtle troll, or irritating by nature? You decide.

Edit: IMB NES video link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWsdm72qTT8

also (better link): http://youtube.com/watch?v=cNTaMhQIIds&feature=related

tkeely4777 said:
Journey with me, dear readers, as I take a stroll down emulation lane:
The talk not about emulation
It was about you can just run GP2X application on next-GP2X without any emulation. If there is needed emulation - it is only for GP2X API.

Not very realistic tkeely4777.

Anyone who knows the antics of GPH will know automatically that it will be compatible with non-HH applications.

There will be a few, but people will just wait for them to be recompiled.

tkeely4777 said:
For someone who claims to know as much as you do, you sure can be stupid sometimes (excuse me for being harsh; this is not my tradition, but there are certain types of people who manage to get under my skin, and after a while, something must be said to alleviate my frustration).
I could go on, but I grow tired of this post, and of DaveC's negative freaking attitude.

Finally: DaveC: subtle troll, or irritating by nature? You decide.
You type and show to the world that you are an ignorant fucking brat with no fucking sense whatsoever. You make inane comparisons which I won't even bother to refute as they are so retarded. You have like no knowledge of what you speak.

You can be so stupid always, (excuse me for being harsh) but it is your tradition. Something must be said to alleviate us from your drivel. You get under anyones skin that has a working brain. I could go on but I grow tired of your bullshit. Now maybe you can make an idiotic signature, then come crawling back to me and ask me to make you a joystick pad replacement that you spazed out and lost.

Finally: Tkeely4778654, not so subtle troll or irritatingly ingnorant and stupid by nature? You decide.

Now STFU and go away, please.

Where does DaveC claim he knows a lot anyway? I hear this being brought up all the time...

Anyway lolz at a guy who brings up emulation as a counter to someone who said that something wouldn't have compatibility, I guess.

(and before you say it in response to notaz, no, PS2 doesn't have an ARM CPU either)

The more I think about it the more I hope the reason they have moved to the pollux isn't to create some new PSP clone but maybe because the MMSP2 has been discontinued, I am now hoping the GP3X will just be a GP2X with a li-ion battery and a little more horsepower, in other words something along the lines of a GP2X Mini?

Back