The Gp2x Is Dead!

DaveC said:
fusion_power said:
pandora said:
+1
clone the hardware, shrink the case, add a nice d-pad. Done
Interesting Idea but is this legal? I mean GPH owns the Patants for the GP2X Hardware and I doubt they sell this stuff for cheap conditions. ^_^

And are you guys talk about a F-100 or F-200 Clone? Touchscreen or no Touchscreen?

EDIT: Sory for Double-post ^^"""

The SOC is off of the shelf as are the rest of the chips. There is no custom hardware in there. The OS is Linux which is of course open source. Probably the only thing you couldn't use is their interface and some of the included apps which weren't that good anyway. Sell it with Open2X and Gmenu 2x as default and it will be better anyway.

I could even design the case and make sure it had a killer d-pad :)

I would think you could sell this cheap, cheap, cheap. Who wouldn't want a Gp2X that is more compact, has better battery life and rechargeable, perfect controls, the netchip back in, 100% backwards compatible, and could be used as a cheap iPod replacement too. They sell tons of cheap MP3 players like Sansa etc, this would be much better.

What do you mean by 'compact', a smaller screen size? surely that will be a bit too small for emus. Keep the screen size exactly the same size as the original GP2X. This could be a fantastic opportunity for great emu/homebrew only handheld for those of us on tight budgets and don't want the umpc features of the pandora

How does the Freescale's i.MX31 sound as the processor?, no? (Correct if I'm wrong but I think it was MWeston's processor of choice for the handheld he was working on before the Pandora)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, so now we are talking pandora lite? :lol:

Granted, if you could do all that for a 100 bucks, put me down too :D

Hirolaser said:
What do you mean by 'compact', a smaller screen size? surely that will be a bit too small for emus. Keep the screen size exactly the same size as the original GP2X. This could be a fantastic opportunity for great emu/homebrew only handheld for those of us on tight budgets and don't want the umpc features of the pandora

How does the Freescale's i.MX31 sound as the processor?, no? (Correct if I'm wrong but I think it was MWeston's processor of choice for the handheld he was working on before the Pandora)
The screen doesn't have to be smaller but there is allot of empty space in the GP2X now.

If you change the processor then it is a different system and not backwards compatible and you start from scratch with software. That is a different story and if you want more CPU power the Pandora is for that. We were just talking about a GP2X clone that runs all of the same software, fixes the flaws of the GP2X, and is real cheap.

Wow. I haven't been around the gp2x section of these boards much (in over a year, actually), but I just heard the news.

It's a shame that they've discontinued it so suddenly. I reckon this is probably the end of the Gamepark name as we know it :(

The battery life and controls really nailed it in for me. It's been fun, but now it's time to move onto better things. I remember I had purchased a GP32 back in August 2005, and later that year the gp2x came out. It's just about 3 years later, holy crap. Time flies :(

Looking ahead! Pandora AHOY

grahf said:
I would certainly buy a GP2x mini, if someone produced it. I would actually be more excited about that than the pandora.
I am totally in agreement on this as well. I like my GP2X - if it had an Lithium Ion rechargeable in there, a good d-pad, better usb connectivity (change that stupid external/cell-phone charger-shaped port on the bottom to a standard usb), and better tv-out, I probably wouldn't buy a pandora.

Those 4 things right there would have to be improved, however, and I don't know if it's possible to fix the tv-out or usb and still have the same hardware... maybe it could have the same processor and everything, but could get better video-out, with a 100%-compatible component that just did a better job.

Is that possible DaveC? What hardware optimizations are possible, if any, while still preserving backwards compatibility? Is a rechargeable battery even possible?

I might even still forgo the pandora for a gp2x mini even if things weren't fixed...

Craig's been giving a couple of cryptic messages lately, hinting at the possibility of another GP console.
I don't think this is the last we'll see of GPH.

They want to go down with a BANG!

Anyway, about this 'GP2x mini', if it is ever going to happen, keep the screen the same size. It really was perfect for emulation.....
and I look forward tot the recheargable battery pack :)

Wow. Weird...

I hope GPH doesn't go completely under. That would just be kind of sad.

I think this is the end of GPH instead of GP2X. Maybe a GP2X clone may come out with a slim design, li-ion batt, wi-fi. Definitely after Pandora release. ;)

Take care of your GP2Xs very well otherwise you'll have to go underground to find a new one around USD500... :p

I'd really like to see a GP2X mini too! It'd make a great compliment to the Pandora - something you could keep in your pocket to kill a few minutes while you're waiting for a bus and to use as an MP3 player when you're out for a walk or a run.

The JXD-301's form factor would be about right - the screen's the same rez and very nearly as large as the GP2X's, but the unit as a whole is closer in size to a GBA Micro.

Doesn't really matter if it's based on the MMSP2 or not in my opinion; any ARM-based SoC with a similar amount of grunt and the right peripherals would be fine. Porting apps would be very easy.

(But let's get the Pandora out of the door first. :))

Behold!
gp2xf2002dj3.jpg

Dirty photoshoped GP2X MINI PINK

ouch!!!

it hurts...

but don't worry. this site is alive doe to the owners and the community.

nobody would close our hearts and minds!

sorry, this must be all my fault - a curse if you like, as a few months after I bought my Rio Karma, that stopped and the company went splut, now a few months after getting my F200, the GP2X has gone splut.

Maybe I should buy something from Microsoft :D ;)

Eserim

DaveC said:
I could even design the case and make sure it had a killer d-pad :)
Right after you've finished the Pandora killer D-Pad (where is it? ;) ) you could start with some 3D Renderings of the new "GP2X lite" ;)

I hope we can keep at least the Name "GP2X" somehow.

Come on.. get real. A GP2X mini or other clone will never happen. This market is too niche and with the Pandora on its way, you must be an idiot to invest money in a project like that.

Back