The Gp2x Is Dead!

craigix said:
If they are working on a new system it will most likely be using the MMSP2 latest revision the 'Pollux' which is a SOC we rejected long ago for the Pandora, because the SOC is a piece of ancient shit polished up for 2008, which due to its 16bit memory will bottleneck and emulator performance would not be much faster than the GP2X.
Close, according to mesdigital's website:

POLLUX is the 3rd generation chip adopting MagicEyes' VRender Technology. Its high performance and low power consumption architecture realize a big differentiation in developing richer-end user applications such as 2D/3D Car Navigation System, dual display POS System, High resolution & various visual effective Display System and convergence Handheld products such as Multimedia Toy, MP4 Player, low-end PMP, and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really looking forward to getting into the Gp2x scene when mine arrived (and it had better arrive). Just my luck that a month after I order one they stop production and move onto other things.

Mr Smith said:
I was really looking forward to getting into the Gp2x scene when mine arrived (and it had better arrive). Just my luck that a month after I order one they stop production and move onto other things.
The scene isn't going anywhere. The archive has over 1500 entries of which over 400 are original games, so there's plenty to do, not to mention all the new or updated software that's in the pipeline waiting to be released.

craigix said:
If they are working on a new system it will most likely be using the MMSP2 latest revision the 'Pollux' which is a SOC we rejected long ago for the Pandora, because the SOC is a piece of ancient shit polished up for 2008, which due to its 16bit memory will bottleneck and emulator performance would not be much faster than the GP2X.
Not to mention that 480 x 272 (which I am like 80% sure they will use as that is what the Pollux dev kit has) is a TERRIBLE resolution for emulators. That means you have to fractionally scale and stretch almost ALL emulators meaning they will look fuzzy and distorted. What will be the point if they look worse than they do on the GP2X?

It seems like they are just doing this to be 3D because everyone else is doing that. Maybe they don't realize that a "me too" device isn't a good idea as there will be no niche. They will fail with this system and I hope they do. That will serve them right for such a boneheaded move.

Couldn't you clone the GP2X and make a better version? It would be the same system and 100% backwards compatible only with a good d-pad, rechargeable battery, more compact, and super cheap like around $99.00. I think it would sell very well at that price.

DaveC said:
Couldn't you clone the GP2X and make a better version? It would be the same system and 100% backwards compatible only with a good d-pad, rechargeable battery, more compact, and super cheap like around $99.00. I think it would sell very well at that price.
I think that's an excellent idea.

jmetal88 said:
DaveC said:

That's an idea I had as well - but it won't happen before the Pandora is out, I guess.

Last edited:
I would buy that. For sure. If GPH pulled it together and did what DaveC said, I would 100% buy it, and I am sure many other people would.

What niche do they think they would fill with their new system? Who would buy it? (Unless the price point is CRAZY low. Like, $80). Or could they be trying to do what many PMP companies have done before and failed at... Take on the mainstream?

The least they could have done is warn us a bit, but unfortunately, this is typical of these Asian electronics company's. In fact, the fact that they even bothered scraping the last bit of stock for Craigx instead of just dumping it locally shows at least a bit more responsibility.

EvilDragon said:
jmetal88 said:
DaveC said:

That's an idea I had as well - but it won't happen before the Pandora is out, I guess.

I've said it before, but if the form factor could be shrunk down as well, you guys could sell those like crazy at that price point. I know I would buy at least one, if not more (just in case!)

Ravnos said:
I've said it before, but if the form factor could be shrunk down as well, you guys could sell those like crazy at that price point. I know I would buy at least one, if not more (just in case!)
I agree. Get it down to JXD 301 kind of size/price with one of those very cool LTPS(?) screens and it'd sell like hot cakes. I'd buy two.

Indeed. Look at it the other way around - It is not GPH that has discontinued the gp2x, it is the gp2x which has been liberated from it's unhappy parents :)

Now, of course, get the pandora good and ready and going out the doors. Once that is stable (as in the production is flowing nicely, the distribution channels are stabilised, and so on), then put MWestons head to constructing the gp2x micro. I'll buy one of that too, I'll promise :lol:

Excellent idea. I agree, I say keep the size the same, it is ideal size for emulation, any smaller will be too small for emulation. All that is required is quality d-pad and a beefier processor. Keep everything the same change the screen to a MK1 screen (I like scanlines and better viewing angle). We will then have the system the GP2X should have been.

It could be an excellent choice for those who cannot afford the Pandora or who don't want a keyboard or the umpc stuff. Just a hardcore emulation/homebrew handheld.

GP2X micro......
A GP2X with nothing to complain about...
I wont be able to blame the hardware for my crappy gaming skills anymore.

Alex. said:
Mr Smith said:
The scene isn't going anywhere. The archive has over 1500 entries of which over 400 are original games, so there's plenty to do, not to mention all the new or updated software that's in the pipeline waiting to be released.

Here here, seconded. I was just about to make a call for testers on a hot new title never seen before coming out of the chute next week or so. It's never been a secret GPH is deathly ill and keeps trying to commit suicide but the gp2x homebrew scene is alive and very healthy.

Hey where'd the post your desktop thread go?

Orkie said:
It is, just waiting for my USB serial adapter to arrive from Hong Kong so we can make a final push towards a public release :).
I hope the Open Firmware for the Pandora will be ready BEFORE the Console is not longer made. ;)

pandora said:
+1
clone the hardware, shrink the case, add a nice d-pad. Done
Interesting Idea but is this legal? I mean GPH owns the Patants for the GP2X Hardware and I doubt they sell this stuff for cheap conditions. ^_^

And are you guys talk about a F-100 or F-200 Clone? Touchscreen or no Touchscreen?

EDIT: Sory for Double-post ^^"""

fusion_power said:
pandora said:
+1
clone the hardware, shrink the case, add a nice d-pad. Done
Interesting Idea but is this legal? I mean GPH owns the Patants for the GP2X Hardware and I doubt they sell this stuff for cheap conditions. ^_^

And are you guys talk about a F-100 or F-200 Clone? Touchscreen or no Touchscreen?

EDIT: Sory for Double-post ^^"""

The SOC is off of the shelf as are the rest of the chips. There is no custom hardware in there. The OS is Linux which is of course open source. Probably the only thing you couldn't use is their interface and some of the included apps which weren't that good anyway. Sell it with Open2X and Gmenu 2x as default and it will be better anyway.

I could even design the case and make sure it had a killer d-pad :)

I would think you could sell this cheap, cheap, cheap. Who wouldn't want a Gp2X that is more compact, has better battery life and rechargeable, perfect controls, the netchip back in, 100% backwards compatible, and could be used as a cheap iPod replacement too. They sell tons of cheap MP3 players like Sansa etc, this would be much better.

Back