The Gp2x Is Dead!

palmertech said:
Why is quasist not banned? He even admits on his profile that he is a troll.
Why you not banned for being an emokid?
Community needs flesh, not a tears and emotions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can confirm it's official as it is.
The GP2X F200 is discontinued. We tried talking to GPH to continue manufacturing, as we currently have a high demand. And as the gp2x is slightly out-of-date, I'm sure it would be possible keeping the production costs low enough to get a 99 Euro retail price which would make a huge sale...

GPH decided it to be the other way. The gp2x is dead.

If ED says so it's definitely true. This looks like GPH's final mistake. I'm guessing they just ran out of money, which shouldn't have really happened since there was plenty of demand and they were selling it at a heavily marked up price. Then again, this could be them shifting all of their resources into a device to compete with Pandora. Been hearing a lot of rumors about something like that. I'll probably develop for both, so long as someone gives me one of each XD

I'll keep developing for GP2X too so long as I have one which works sufficiently, unfortunately right now I don't and the job to repair the USB on my current one is pretty tricky so let's hope that works >_>

323586186.jpg

Long will it be missed, not that it's going anywhere, but whatever. :)

Jeepers it isn't dead! Just because it's not being made, doesn't mean it's dead!

I'm still developing for the "dead" GP32 and having a blast with it (promise to release that soon).

There are so many wonderful applications and emulators for the GP2X that it will be around for ages longer, even when Pandora shows up with her box of tricks.

Look at what was just released - a J2ME mobile phone player. Brilliant stuff!

I'm sure there'll still be loads more interesting things coming up too.

EvilDragon said:
hando said:
Damm, my gp2x just died few minutes ago as well. What a fatal coincidence :(
What happened? Guess it can be fixed :)

Well not dead completly :) Didn't know too much Final Burn can do harm to your joystick which I am pretty sure is totally crushed inside. Just need to find something similar and replace it.

Well that's some strange news. GPH haven't even announced their successor yet, and already discontinue GP2X. Are they going out of business?

Somebody should make a clone, GP2X is not a complex device.

the gp2x was a great handheld, anyone who said no is almost blind.
Of course it's not perfect, but there's no a perfect handheld and even pandora will not.

Still is a device capable to run flawlessy a lot of old platforms and the best handheld device for any retrogamer so far.

Also, a platform is dead when no new software is developed for, just (just say "c64 is dead" somewere around and you will get your ass kicked!) the gp2x is still alive and there's new stuff almost every week.

Also, the gp2x is a kind of console that never dies, because old classics never dies and gp2x is based mainly on emulation

Has it been officially announced really ? If so ; can anyone link to that page ?

Strange ; it was not much time since f200 was released

If true, it is indeed a shame. Maybe they're just scoping for interest, seeing who misses it and who doesn't, trying to get some final orders in. It's hard to believe that the F-200 has been out long enough to claw back its development costs, really. Anyway, it doesn't really affect much, it is/was always a niche product.

I'm hanging on to my F-100 for as long as is humanly possible (considering I only got rid of my original Gameboy a year or so ago, and that was only because I could emulate all the games I liked for it satisfactorily, I think that pretty much means "forever"). The only problem is that was I going to buy one as a Christmas present for someone and can't afford to do that now, so by the time I can afford it they'll either be non-existent or twice the price. If only gp2x.co.uk did finance - I could use a "pay monthly" option. :) Although I really wanted them to have a F-100 anyway because they have a tendency to destroy touchscreens.

It'll be sad if it is true. I'm sure gp2x.co.uk/eBay will stll have enough for a few months, though. By then, hopefully, we'll have something better to crow over. Now all we need is a GP2X emulator for Pandora. :)

I still consider the gp2x the best handheld I've ever purchased. It can play an enormous amount of games from the pre-3d era. I know a lot of folks on these forums and elsewhere who really don't really care about 3d stuff at all, so something like the Pandora isn't going to be as attractive as to someone who loves Playstation.

I personally am slightly interested in the Pandora for its 3d capabilites, but mostly as a mobile linux platform with keyboard. I suspect If I buy one I wont really play a ton of games on it. The gp2x was already perfect for me, despite its flaws. I play almost every day, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, even if and when I buy a Pandora.

notaz said:
Well that's some strange news. GPH haven't even announced their successor yet, and already discontinue GP2X. Are they going out of business?

Somebody should make a clone, GP2X is not a complex device.
They didn't want the news to come out yet, I imagine they won't be best pleased that it has.

Orkie said:
notaz said:
They didn't want the news to come out yet, I imagine they won't be best pleased that it has.

Well, as much as I agree with you - there's no way NOT coming out with the news... when distributors can't restock them they HAVE to make a note on the website... otherwise, people would preorder or keep asking what's happening :)

Last edited:
This is bad news :( Maybe not dead as long as there's a software development community, but it does mean that as peoples' units fail it will be harder to get spare parts/replacement units. Also who will be doing future firmware development? Will we need to take the firmware source and create our own, fixing bugs ourselves?

Has anyone been able to confirm whether it's the discontinuation of the GP2X line, or Gamepark folding?

dotdavid said:
Also who will be doing future firmware development? Will we need to take the firmware source and create our own, fixing bugs ourselves?
Open2x is still being developed (as far as I know), which is a non-GPH developed firmware for GP2X.

It is, just waiting for my USB serial adapter to arrive from Hong Kong so we can make a final push towards a public release :).

There is no left over stock of the GP2X even - the huge delays in the last shipments to customers was due to this happening and GPH seemed to scrape together every last bit of the systems to supply the final orders we had, and even then that didn't cover everything.

There is no stock of the GP2X left AT ALL at GPH and never will be again so we have been told.

What a shitty way to end the system, they didn't even tell us in advance, just let us keep taking orders then one day 'No, you can't have anymore.'

If they are working on a new system it will most likely be using the MMSP2 latest revision the 'Pollux' which is a SOC we rejected long ago for the Pandora, because the SOC is a piece of ancient shit polished up for 2008, which due to its 16bit memory will bottleneck and emulator performance would not be much faster than the GP2X.

Back