The Caring Corner :)

From wikipedia:
The Moderna news followed preliminary results from the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine candidate, BNT162b2, with Moderna demonstrating similar efficacy, but requiring storage at the temperature of a standard medical refrigerator of 2–8 °C (36–46 °F) for up to thirty days or −20 °C (−4 °F) for up to four months, whereas the Pfizer-BioNTech candidate requires ultracold freezer storage between −80 and −60 °C (−112 and −76 °F).

Conversion between Celcius and Kelvin is simple and left as an exercise for the reader.

The fact you can post such diatribes is indication enough that you're not living under a true Orwellian government.
I am literally a second-class citisen in my own country right now. Besides, Orwellian regimes get going gradually. The covid-19 regime is just getting started and will get much worse. But when that time comes it will too late to prepare.

The angle I choose has been the tail end of capitalism. Scarce profits render companies desperate and immoral practices and fleecing individuals becomes the norm. The pandemic has merely hastened the trend.

My sister opted out of the festivities at our place at the last minute. She's petrified of the side-effects of vaccination (so un-vax'd) and also of covid it's self (eg taking the bus). So she spent XMas alone. How's that for Orwellian (+Dickensian).

Finally got my morning medication after 11 AM. There was some confusion about who was supposed to work on Christmas here.

It should be a good day from here on out, since I'm leaving at 3 PM to go have Christmas dinner at my dad's place.

Reactions: rSl
The angle I choose has been the tail end of capitalism. Scarce profits render companies desperate and immoral practices and fleecing individuals becomes the norm. The pandemic has merely hastened the trend.
Sounds about right, but I no longer know what are you responding to.

My sister opted out of the festivities at our place at the last minute. She's petrified of the side-effects of vaccination (so un-vax'd) and also of covid it's self (eg taking the bus). So she spent XMas alone. How's that for Orwellian (+Dickensian).
Well, I don't know your sister, but I take it from the way you write that she's not one of the people I know who enjoy their holidays alone and got quite tired of meeting dozens of (even beloved) people at once and eating and drinking too much just for the sake of tradition, so that maybe the only advantage of COVID-19 is that it brings an excuse to that.
So I'm sorry for her. And for you, since you must miss her. But a citizen deciding for herself for emotional loss not to take some risks is not what Orwell nor Dickens wrote about (specially if she has a place to stay and food to sustain herself). You may refer to some kind of corporate or government propaganda affecting her capability to decide. But aren't you and your sister both subject to the same brainwashing ? Do you take her for too weak and your judgement for better ? Well, I'd assess it the other way if I had to. Orwell must be upset at such a defective big brother.
This does not mean there aren't (increasing) Dickensian situations and Orwellian abuses. Those are real, it's just that it doesn't look to me that this is one, from what I can read from you.
The fact you can post such diatribes is indication enough that you're not living under a true Orwellian government.
Oh, but the fact that he has to post it here in a virtual world instead of debating it with neighbours and acting on it might already be some indication of material Orwellism. You know practical implementations of political ideas are never quite the true thing.
For example a demo against compulsory COVID-19 vaccination in Berlin, from organisers trying to distance themselves from COVID-deniers and far-right and, more to the point, requesting COVID-19 preventive measures to the demo participants, was prohibited.
Modern Orwellism is about isolating people in virtual bubles online where they can waste their time without any real effects. Turns out tracking and belittlering the message is more effective than blocking its publication altogether.

Oh man, winter in the South is awful. The low is supposed to be 60 degrees tonight. There are clouds outside too making everything humid. And it's supposed to stay warm through Sunday.

Oh man, winter in the South is awful. The low is supposed to be 60 degrees tonight. There are clouds outside too making everything humid. And it's supposed to stay warm through Sunday.
Yeah, I got the same feeling. I went out in t-shirt today. Mid-winter and 13C outside (55F). Although it's not humid (spectacular fireworks this year, despite being prohibited). Could not make a snowman this year.
Netherlands is so small, we only have one weather (compared to bigger territories): https://hetweer.nl/
Went to Caracas once. The moment the airplane doors opened, this heat with 100% humidity slapped you in the face. Man, no way to stay cool in the heat.
At least the heat helps dry my house (I got a leaking wall - compliments of the neigbor - he had to break his walls to find that there was a false wall where there was a faucet that started leaking). My house is a mould-fest. Even the deepest parts of my pillow reeks. Thinking about opening the floor to let it dry outside in the sun.

My dad around 1:45 PM today said that my twin sister hadn't made it home from a New Year's Eve party yet. It's now past 4:30 PM, and I still haven't heard about her whereabouts. I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Edit: Never mind, just talked to her. She stayed overnight at someone's place after the party. She just got home a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
My appointment to get my mole with moderate atypia removed is tomorrow. Staff at my apartment said it'll basically be the same as when they did the biopsy, but I'm not so sure. It's a pretty wide mole.

It's a pretty wide mole.

u-https-tse3-mm-bing-net-th-id-OIP.jpg

Back