That took a while...

Great! Glad they arrived! They look awesome, except for the colours/finish.

Fake metal plastic is the WORRRSTTTT. Clear is still the alpha colour. IMO anyways. ONWARD PYRA!

Great! Glad they arrived! They look awesome, except for the colours/finish.

Fake metal plastic is the WORRRSTTTT. Clear is still the alpha colour. IMO anyways. ONWARD PYRA!

Facepalm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The matte dark-grey/black one is really nice. The blue is almost there, but a bit too much on the Cyan side for my tastes.
Colours are weird. If I look at the wiki page for 'turquoise' it just shows my a picture that's clearly light blue if I look at it. Although I'd hope the primary and secondary colours are okay, as soon as you deviate this far from the true blue everyone seems to see it differently, or at least has different words for the same thing. I see that blue as a few turns towards purple, FWIW, which I don't see as a particularly good or bad thing, but just a thing.
@EvilDragon please provide some photographs with a good depth-of-field (F-Stop 8 or above would be nice ) once they've arrived and some prototypes are assembled.
Also, if they could be shot in a light box thingy to eliminate directionality of illumination, that'd help in identifying the real colour of everything.

I'm really liking that blue case. If it were available for purchase, it would definitely be my choice.
Great news post! Glad we are still moving forward.

Beep. All of those matte materials look the same to us, we don't see in the photos what the differences are.

As for colours, we're a little disappointed that we don't yet get to see one we find really appealing in the actual photo. (though the purple photoshop very much tickles our fancy!) We've been hoping to see samples in "concept render red," "retro beige" or any other earthtones.

Now that we mention those two next to each other, is there any chance this coating thing being discussed can be applied to an uncoloured case to produce two-tone options? Well, since we and one family member are interested in a palmtop/retro console/smartphone convergence, maybe we can just buy two Pyras in different colours and swap some case parts between them. Boop.

Beep. P.S. With photographing environment, imaging device, display device AND viewing environment all adding confounding variables, we suspects maybe photos intended to show colour ought have reference objects like human hands or something, though to really work it would need multiple complementary references. Hey, wethinks, a printed card with a colour wheel which looks right in-person would probably be a great tool for such purpose! "Adjust your viewing parameters so that the wheel on the card doesn't look weird." Boop.

Last edited:
Wonderful news, lovely photos!

Anyway, above all colours shown, I love the transparent most. Transparency rules! :~)

Most monitors have pretty awful colour rendering though. The only real solution would be to send colour samples around the forum in the same way as the keymats.
Or, you know RGB. Taking a sample from the right side of the lid of that blue case, GIMP reports it to be 0x023fcb - I'm not sure how I managed to see that as purple yesterday, but it's certainly greener than pale blue - still a hell of a long way from cyan, but I can perhaps see what you mean.

It's literally just an aluminum plate, the LEDs are on the display board. It's been shown in prior pictures.

I suppose that there could be a test of the adhesive that holds the clear logo into the anodized aluminum plate and the plate to the case lid.

Unless he's referencing the -other- aluminum plate that has been hinted at for use as a heat spreader for the SoC. I think that one we have only heard hints of - I don't recall it ever showing up in any pictures I've seen. Maybe that one is a myth? We haven't seen the heat sink or dissipation provisions yet that I am aware of anyway.

Yeah what ARE we doing about the heat anyway? If we don't need to do anything that's great though.

Yeah what ARE we doing about the heat anyway? If we don't need to do anything that's great though.

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably the same situation as with most RPi-like SBCs we see these days; you can push them a bit further and for a bit longer with a proper heatsink but they still run just fine with heat dissipating through the board for any practical applications.

Unless you're planning to run the recent PC games through Exagear and WINE (which for all I know you might be), I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure ED will test all sorts of things like that as well once we have a complete up to date prototype.

Back