Test-Run of the 1GHz Pandoras happens today (2012-07-05)

"I received the 1 GHz Pandora yesterday. Cool wood box. I was #15 in the queue and got box #19.This is my third Pandora (original first batcher, new nub first batcher, and now 1 GHz.)" ... jeepers, I'm jealous. I have yet to recieve my first Pandora and I preordered earlier than you did.

> Display is not as bright as the first batch version (full brightness, default gamma settings)
Yup, we noticed it at the GamesCom. These are new screens.

Also, sometimes fingers doesn't work, nails must be used.

Maybe it changes after a while ?

A quick Slackware non-glx gears test:

CC 600MHz board GC 1GHz board

@800 MHz 52 FPS 72 FPS

@1200MHz almost 100 FPS

Last edited by a moderator:
"I received the 1 GHz Pandora yesterday. Cool wood box. I was #15 in the queue and got box #19.This is my third Pandora (original first batcher, new nub first batcher, and now 1 GHz.)" ... jeepers, I'm jealous. I have yet to recieve my first Pandora and I preordered earlier than you did.

Relatively speaking I have had good luck with my Pandora orders and I haven't had to upgrade or anything.

The Pandora is something that I have always wanted before it even existed so I have been fast on the draw.

I pre-ordered my first one within 20 minutes from when Criag posted the go! back in 2008.

Got that one 1 year 9 months later and had to RMA it because of a bad nub. Got it back a few months later (When CC briefly started production again)

While it was in for RMA I ordered several spare cases and LCD cables to save on shipping.

Every time I interact with OP I try to order some spare parts.

Got the second one (original first batcher) on eBay for a song. It needed a new LCD cable and case which I already had.

I ordered the 1 GHz Pandora within 10 minutes from when Criag posted the go! a few weeks ago.

I was told in the email that I was #15.

This was a tough decision as it is a lot of money and my CC Pandora already does everything I want.

I bought one and some more LCD cables.

Well my gamble was worth it as Firefox shines on the 1 GHz Pandora.

This is the non-gaming killer app for me.

I know that not much can be said to ease the frustration of those still waiting.

The Pandora is completely worth it. I hope that the rest of you will get your Pandora soon.

I know that not much can be said to ease the frustration of those still waiting.

the more frustrating is not simply to wait anymore, but it is to not know the time we have to wait.. :(

> Display is not as bright as the first batch version (full brightness, default gamma settings)

Updated to SZ 1.5.1 in order to get that outdoor gamma profile.

Screen is still worse compared to the first batch model. Not so bright, less contrast and white is not really white in comparison.

This is quite a disappointment. :(

Screen is still worse compared to the first batch model. Not so bright, less contrast and white is not really white in comparison.

really? how does the display look when it's not compared to the older screen?

this is not good.

Well I havent checked in detail but I havent noticed anything significantly bad about the new screens.seems fine to me.Using ones nail instead of the finger tip though works better on the screen as linux swat said. I dont have another unit to compare though.

dgame said:

Actually I was reading your post thinking: "WooHoo, if people are buying multiple pandoras, I should get mine quicker :D "

To be honest, some of us haven't even had the pleasure of receiving an original pre-order Pandora, so we won't notice any difference in the screen at least...

And what can you honestly do about it? OP orders the same screens that they've always done. If the screen manufacturer says it's the same one, then that's what we'll get. I'm not gonna sit on my ass for another 12 months while OP has to find another manufacturer that can do the "same but different" screen.

really? how does the display look when it's not compared to the older screen?

this is not good.

First of all I must say, the display is fine for indoor usage. For outdoor usage, a display can never be bright enough. The brighter, the better. And there seems to be the difference.

I took a couple of pictures, but it's difficult to capture the reality under bright conditions. Here's one in a dark room, which probably shows the difference in the best way.

pandoralcdbrightness.jpg

Left side: First batch Pandora with full brightness and default gamma settings (HF5)

Right side: One GHz Pandora with full brightness and outdoor (very bright) gamma profile (SZ 1.51)

Don't get me wrong. It's not a huge problem at all. But it makes the screen harder to read in the patio, where I spend quite some time these days. :)

yoshispatio.jpg

According to ED in the german forum, it's a question of the correct gamma settings. I hope it can be fixed, once I know what the correct settings are.

^^^^^^Id say so as it responds to a more physical tap tap motion now.Its fine when your used to it.

^^^^^^Id say so as it responds to a more physical tap tap motion now.Its fine when your used to it.

And the tip of the stylus doesn't quite seem to glide across it as smoothly as on the older models?(it's not rougher, just a bit stickier!) ;)

I just want the frickin' thing. I don't care if the screen is half as bright as it used to be. I'll just wait another 1-2 years until enough people swoop right in and buy theirs immediately that I can get my early 2010 pre-order.

Thanks for the quick update EvilDragon

:D

You guys should take pics of the entire start to finish build process of the 1Ghz units.

So others can see the hard work involved ;)

Also great material for the Pandora Story!

They have not been completed yet. I believe (Guessing) they are about a 1/3 done.

The PCBs should have been completed yet, they're currently being assembled at GC.

Back