SuperZaxxon incremental update changelog

So how do I update /install the new kernel modules?

Ive been using the SD Installer by Dave1234 for all my SD installations in case that makes a difference.

Ild do it manually if I knew how.

You may want to check your opkg repository settings on your SD card installation.  At one point someone provided an alternate address for the Ångström repo, which pointed to a faster mirror of it.  If you made this change though, the subsequent OS update (provided though an updater PND) that redirected opkg to openpandora.org would have failed to do so.  

I'd suggest comparing the contents of /etc/opkg/ on the SD card to the same folder on the NAND, to see if there's a difference there.

- Neelix

Well, back to a full SD install.... I found differences. Corrected them and performed an upgrade. But upon booting to CLI I found a locked boot complaining about an invalid VFAT structure. Oh well.

Saved my home directory and will spend this afternoon reconfiguring my tweaks to the system. At least I keep them listed.

Thanks.

Erk! What sort of thing did you do to correct the differences? It ought to be very hard to corrupt a filesystem accidentally.

Suggests to me that your SD card may be on the way out/incompatible.

I found out later it was that the new system was not compatible with the old SZ1.52 autoboot.txt on the SD. The old txt worked with the SZ1.52 kernel 3.2.30 but with SZ1.55 I HAD to use the one generated by SD_install.pnd.   If I swap with the old one I get a locked boot. If I then put the new one back it boots again. I can swap them all day and get consistent results. I can not SEE a difference in the files but I am guessing that there is a space/tab/or invisible character in the old file that is not working with the new kernel. I swapped the new and old uImage back and for also.

Old autoboot.txt works consistently with uImage for SZ1.52 ONLY (3.2.30)

New autoboot.txt works consistently with uImage for SZ1.55 ONLY (3.2.45)

Why? I am not exactly sure.

I am puzzled but permanently upgraded the old fashions destructive way and will just go and fix everything again. Why I use the SD is because the NAND install only leaves me about 138MB of space... As for my fixes it involves things like repairing ROOT to use Bash and allow su as well as fix the hotkeys to allow a quick-key standby. I also had spent a couple weeks getting GCC/Tkinter and Python all completely working from the CLI (see other posts). Glad I took notes and saved my instructions because now I get to do it all over.

mwhahahaha what chaotic fun we have!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that's worth knowing. Can you diff the two autoboot.txt files and let me know the diffs? The error sounds like it might be looking at an unformatted partition, but that wouldn't be affected by different kernels.

Now that I have done a complete reflash to the SD to SZ1.55 I can boot with either autoboot. The only difference between them is that the old one did not have a new line at the end of file. The new one did.  Sorry I cant help more because I need the system working and any difference on the ext3 partition are now gone.

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.55

2013-10-27:

* added c64_tools from bsp, see http://boards.openpa...loader-and-ipc/

use "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_dsp_c64.sh" to init, DSP can then be accessed by programs through libc64 API

* kernel: updated to 3.2.52

* kernel: reserved CMA memory for c64_tools (this memory is still available to applications when c64_tools are not used)

* SDL: TV-out now automatically switches to scaler layer

* Tweaked TV-out and pandora-first-run-wizard scripts (EvilDragon)

* A few common firmwares added to /lib/firmware for wifi sticks

2013-10-18
* /etc/op-version should now be updated with online OS updates
* maybe fixed some time drift issues. After installing this update and rebooting, you may need to set your time once more to switch to correct timezone, after that it should stay consistent.
* Changed TV layer switch to Fn-l as F12 conflicts with other application functions

2013-09-21
* tv out script now looks at last used TV profile
* F12 now switches between graphics plane and overlay for tv-out when it's on
Just tried the update, and it installed w/o issues. All c64_tools examples/testcases working fine. Thanks!

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.55

2013-10-27:

* added c64_tools from bsp, see http://boards.openpa...loader-and-ipc/

use "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_dsp_c64.sh" to init, DSP can then be accessed by programs through libc64 API

* kernel: updated to 3.2.52

* kernel: reserved CMA memory for c64_tools (this memory is still available to applications when c64_tools are not used)

* SDL: TV-out now automatically switches to scaler layer

* Tweaked TV-out and pandora-first-run-wizard scripts (EvilDragon)

* A few common firmwares added to /lib/firmware for wifi sticks

2013-10-18

* /etc/op-version should now be updated with online OS updates

* maybe fixed some time drift issues. After installing this update and rebooting, you may need to set your time once more to switch to correct timezone, after that it should stay consistent.

* Changed TV layer switch to Fn-l as F12 conflicts with other application functions

2013-09-21

* tv out script now looks at last used TV profile

* F12 now switches between graphics plane and overlay for tv-out when it's on
Just tried the update, and it installed w/o issues. All c64_tools examples/testcases working fine. Thanks!
Great !!!! Time to learn some new tricks now, and a new world to discover :)

I integrated c64 tools and the newest kernel into Slackware and i was able to run the demo pnd ^^.

I would like to ask for a minor change in /usr/pandora/scripts/op_dsp_c64.sh

Line 92

-modprobe c64 $KMODARGS

+/sbin/modprobe c64 $KMODARGS

Other commands have absolute path, and that lonely modprobe annoys SL4P's sudo.

The update worked fine (@Linux-SWAT: it also addresses your change request).

A minor request, though: Is there any reason to not integrate my op_xfcemenu.sh replacement script ?

It allows you to toggle the XFCE menu with the Pandora button (also works in panel-autohide mode).

You can find it here http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14227-xfce-appmenu-and-panel-auto-hide-nanoemacs-xev/page-2#entry272692
(alternatively in the c64_tools package bin-02Nov2013/ directory)

It's the first thing that I replace after a FW update :)

Including xev and ne (nanoemacs) might be worth a thought, too (these are rather small binaries, ne is ~259k, xev is 19.9k).
I can send you the ready-to-build source packages, if you want to.

You can find my DSP-related update comments/requests here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14334-announce-c64-tools-dsp-loader-and-ipc/#entry287073

p.s.: just a minor thing but I think it would be a good idea if you posted to this thread when you do an update. If you just edit the opening post, ppl might overlook the update

Thx about the /sbin/ modif ^^.

About the pandora button, i have another approach on SL4P, at the first press, i ask the user if he wants to use it for:

-open Xfce menu

-launch a terminal (xfce term)

-launch a bigger term (terminator)

-or launch a custom command (a prompt is displayed to enter the command)

About xfce menu thing, it's up to ED to decide, he always finds issues with solutions people propose for the menu problem.

xev can now be installed with "opkg install" and should persist updates.

ne lacks OE recipe, so unless someone writes one, I can't build it.

Think I found a bug in the layer switching for the TV out in the latest update. It seems to work properly if you are on the HW scaler layer and will change to the main layer, however if you're on the main layer it won't switch to the HW scaler layer. I've tested this on my CC, Rebirth and 1Ghz Pandora. I know it used to toggle properly not too long ago.

Also another odd issue, I updated all my Pandoras(Pandori?) today to debug this via the update OS feature. My 1Ghz uses the FN + L for toggling the TV out layer like the change notes state, but my CC and Rebirth units still use FN + F12. I updated the CC and Rebirth just earlier today, I updated the 1Ghz the other day and re-ran the updates today.. all units even after reboot says all operations complete.

The layer switch script checks if the other layer is actually in use and only switches to it in that case.

Well in the case of programs like "The Tube" it won't work unless it's already in the Scaler mode. 

Inconsistent key binds are because pmprog wanted config file to not be updated, see http://boards.openpa...ade-pandora-os/

okay, but because select few have a custom setups the rest can't get updates? wouldn't giving people an option be a better solution?

The layer switch script checks if the other layer is actually in use and only switches to it in that case.

Well in the case of programs like "The Tube" it won't work unless it's already in the Scaler mode.
And why is that?

Inconsistent key binds are because pmprog wanted config file to not be updated, see http://boards.openpa...ade-pandora-os/
okay, but because select few have a custom setups the rest can't get updates? wouldn't giving people an option be a better solution?
It's supposed to update the file anyway if you haven't modified it, maybe you have?

I'm not sure why the tube does that, it just does. If you launch before it's on the scaler level it won't launch the videos. 

It's supposed to update the file anyway if you haven't modified it, maybe you have?
Hmm.. I've never touched the eventmap on any of my units to my knowledge. 

Back