SuperZaxxon v1.72 released

ok added semi-official support. In the terminal, run these commands:

sudo opkg update
sudo opkg upgrade
sudo opkg install fuse-exfat
Then re-insert the card and it should work.You might get errors because of the mess exfat.pnd made, you will need to reflash and retry in that case.
Since doing this on my Pandora, all my sd card partitions mount under /media/mmc(d)blk(p) instead of their /media/label

Is this fixable, or will I need to reflash?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report, try running upgrade again.
Sorry, I meant to post (but didn't get chance). I "fixed" this. I had to unmount all the partitions, but I had to "sudo umount" because rightclicking on the icons didn't work; delete any left-over folders under /media, and remount them, and it seemed to work.
But thanks for looking

Thanks for the report, try running upgrade again.
Sorry, I meant to post (but didn't get chance). I "fixed" this. I had to unmount all the partitions, but I had to "sudo umount" because rightclicking on the icons didn't work; delete any left-over folders under /media, and remount them, and it seemed to work.
But thanks for looking
Actually, I was wrong about this, when it rebooted, it put them back; however, your fix works, so thank you again

Thank you very much for your help everyone. I had the chance to reflash today with the commands and now the storage card is able to read fine. ^_^

Possibly stupid question, but is the pandora-rootfs.tar.bz2 version the latest 1.72 (non RC) version? It's dated 09-07-2015, same as 1.72RC full flash.

Thanks yet again for this!

It always points to the latest rootfs build, which means sometimes it may be broken, but we only build it before release now and should be safe in practice.

Okay, slightly newbie question this, but I'm just trying to reflash my NAND for the first time (I've always booted from an SD card in the past), and I'm unable to follow the instructions included in the zip file.

My Pandora has a broken LCD, so I use it with TV out.  My SD card has three partitions on, and I've formatted the first two using mkfs.vfat (which I assume is the same as FAT32, but I can't see anything more specific to use), and tried the contents of the zip file in both partitions.  On rebooting my Pandora with the R button held down I don't see any menu where I can choose to boot the NAND flasher from the SD card.  Pressing B/X randomly sometimes seems to make the SD card lights flicker briefly, but on leaving my unit it's never proceeded to reflash my unit and shut down, as it claims.  Pressing down then B does make it shut down though, so I suspect I am in the boot menu.

I don't think my TV out cable is broken.  It was working yesterday, and there's no signs of it coming apart.  I just can't get a picture on either composite or s-video.

Thanks - that got the reflasher output appearing on TV out.

Unfortunately, removing that SD card and rebooting doesn't seem to have enabled TV out.  I assume a kernel is running because it appears to automount SD cards inserted into either slot, but I can't see any output on the TV.

The last time I reflashed my SD card, the first time wizard enabled TV out and asked me at the end if I wanted to keep it on or not.  I assumed the same would happen with a NAND reflash, but I don't know what it's doing now.

The first boot doesn't enable TV out, but when it's done (takes at least several minutes) the zenity wizard appears, then it should enable it.

Ah, silly me.  Since there's no light to tell me it's still setting up, I assumed it was waiting for me.  Just gone back to it now and there the first boot wizard is after all.  Thanks for the help!

Hi, is there some guide how to rebuild single  Ångström package?

I noticed freetype is version 2.3.9 which defaults to patented bytecode interpreter disabled. The patent already expired so since version 2.4 it is enabled by default see http://www.freetype.org/patents.html and in older versions it must be built with #define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER as per http://linux.math.tifr.res.in/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/bci.html

Without this microsoft fonts like Tahoma look really ugly. I tried to follow this guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration#Byte-Code_Interpreter_.28BCI.29 and cannot make it running so I guess the bytecode interpreter is indeed disabled.
Or can someone possibly fix this in the repo?

Many thanks. It made a difference. Tahoma is now like it should be. Looks like it works just fine :)

And btw I tried to follow http://pandorawiki.org/Ångström#Compile_build_from_source_code and got lost in maze of twisty little passages, all alike. how do I bitbake current Super Zaxxon repo from source or at least some pakage like freeetype?
I tried to follow the second path -  to build the current .next image. But all I got was some python error telling me something was not found. Are these instructions correct or horribly outdated?

Probably outdated, I have a setup made over 4 years ago (the old one, not .next) and it still works somehow, I'm sure there would be never ending problems if I needed to redo all this from scratch on a recent distro...

It also breaks harder and harder every time ED upgrades Debian on his server, I suspect I won't be able to build anything after next Debian update, which means SuperZaxxon will get no more updates after that.

Just to note that the full reflash refused to boot from SD1 on either of my (FAT32) 64GB SD cards - I had to use an old 32GB which worked flawlessly. 

D.

I had the exact same problem today - thanks for good advice: From an older, smaller card, full reflash has worked like magic  :)

From the other thread it looks like the the slightly tweaked bootloader helps, so maybe it's worth to make more general release, like SZ1.72a? This would give better SD card compatibility for any future reflash, for those who run the OS from SD and for custom OSes.

Back