Release SuperZaxxon Final released!

Charging my Pandora again, this time with conky displaying an output (would love to have it output to a file, but I don't know what to put in the config file).

It started at 740mA, then jumped up to 940mA for most of the charge.

At around 60% I noticed the charg had dropped to 740mA, and since then it has been steadily dropping (it's currently at 498mA @ 70% charge).

EDIT: looks like I was surprised at something that must happen all the time.

It finally stopped charging at 85%, and conky then reported 100% until the charger was unplugged, and then droped bck to 85%.

After unplugging the battery for a few minutes, the charge then read at 98%^.

So it looks like ED's post a few pages back about the charging was right and it is okay after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got around to installing this. Unfortunately, my left nub has stopped working. It was perfectly fine before the upgrade, and the touchscreen is calibrated and still works fine, as does the right nub. But the left one shows nothing in the input tester, and doesn't work in any game or application I've tried...

I haven't read all the previous beta threads, but... does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
go into the boot menu and boot the old kernel once. The nub should start to work again.

Really on of the weirdest issues - hasn't happened on our units here, but quite a few users are reporting that here.

With the SZ Final I can't boot into the old kernel any more (it doesn't seem to be a bug, because someone else would have reported it earlier). When booting the progress bar goes to the end, then screen blacks, and a few seconds later the message box (graphical mode) appears: "Unable to contact settings server. /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon". And then I cannot do anything besides hard reset, because touch screen, keyboard and nubs don't work. I have installed SZ Final by flashing over the SZ beta 5.

Could those affected by nonworking nub try reseting them in "nub configuration" several times?

With the SZ Final I can't boot into the old kernel any more (it doesn't seem to be a bug, because someone else would have reported it earlier).
I suspect you forgot to copy bootf.tgz before flashing.

Could those affected by nonworking nub try reseting them in "nub configuration" several times?
Ok i just resetted my nubs about 10 times but nothing changed (i'm on SZb5a) right nub is not working.

Also nothing changed saving nub parameters every times a make a reset.

Plus i also make an attempt enabling Wifi and USB host mode and resetting do nothing on my dx nub.

If i boot in the old kernel the nub return to work fine.

After kernel 2.6 if i boot in the new 3.2 the right nub is working (but only for the first time) ...if i restart and boot again in 3.2 this nub stop working.

tv-out on suerzaxxon gives "bleached" "faded" colours: i think tvout has been reported for SZb5a but not sure if it was this issue or not?

Regarding the nub issue: I booted into the old kernel, and the nub worked. I rebooted into the new kernel, and... the nub worked. :D

I tried restarting, and the nub still worked! But, after choosing "shut down" instead of "restart", then booting the system up again, the nub stopped working. :(

On the plus side, on the new kernel, Arkanoid no longer crashes at the end of the second level. I have no idea why that is, but I'm not complaining. :p

I still can't get any applications to launch using the hotkey functionality in XFCE. In the last available beta, this worked.

I saved my /home and after the flash to the release I symlinked it back from my card.. so I know the settings are unchanged between the beta and the release.

Everything else is working correctly (other applications, file permissions, etc).

Can I get a confirmation from another if this is an actual bug or just me / XFCE?

Other keyboard shortcuts were working fine - it was only the ones where I had a hotkey run a script.

I thought perhaps pnd_run had been updated and the commandline usage was different, breaking my scripts. This is not true.

I went into the keyboard settings. For each application shortcut, I re-selected my script. I did not change the scripts or anything else. This fixed them.

Very odd.

Tried it, didn't help. Also tried rebooting into old kernel to get the nubs working and then saving the config to a different profile then loading that but that also didn't work. Also tried having no SD cards inserted on power up, just to eliminate variables, but that didn't help. And finally tried reflashing completely but exact same issue. Can't think of anything else to try.

With the SZ Final I can't boot into the old kernel any more (it doesn't seem to be a bug, because someone else would have reported it earlier).
I suspect you forgot to copy bootf.tgz before flashing.
I'm sure I copied all files from archive. But I did a reflash just in case, and that fixed it :) . And it also fixed another issue that I was about to report as a bug. Strange. Maybe there should be a verification of some kind to check if the firmware was flashed correctly.

I've got a tiny netgear wifi dongle, which needed modified drivers on the previous firmware (I'm on HF6a). The device id reported by lsusb "0846:9041" (so it's one of those realtek chips inside). Is this one supported out of the box?
It's in the list so should probably work.

finally got the time to update my pandora. reporting back that the stick with that device id works out of the box now. thanks!

btw flashing process is so awesome, i never had a better time flashing a device cause of the "i can't brick it" feeling :) doing on GPH devices was always kinda ... stressy.

Just had the slowdown again coming out of suspend - no PNDs running, so a proper suspend. Went straight to the CPU-Speed setting, and found it was all the way back at 125MHz. I have no idea why it's doing this, but it's very common - once in every three or four wakeups, it's setting the CPU speed down to minimum.

This has got to be the worst OS update yet, I must say.

D.

Just had the slowdown again coming out of suspend - no PNDs running, so a proper suspend. Went straight to the CPU-Speed setting, and found it was all the way back at 125MHz. I have no idea why it's doing this, but it's very common - once in every three or four wakeups, it's setting the CPU speed down to minimum.

What happens if you fiddle with the CPU settings minimum setting? Maybe raising that CPU minimum could help?

Aside from certain software testing, there's no reason to want to lower the CPU below its normal operation. (underclock), so this would probably be a workaround for you. You would still have the option of setting a custom CPU setting if you ever needed 125 again in the future.

It's odd, because the latest firmware changes the CPU speed setting method compared to previous firmwares, but this never happened in any of the betas for SZ, just the final. I'm beginning to think that the old way of setting CPU speeds was more robust - either that or there are bugs in the suspend/resume scripts?

I dunno. I'll set the minimum to 1024MHz for now and see if it happens again.

D.

I can follow up with some of the complaints (charging, wifi), reported in this thread, and at least can report one positive aspect (touchscreen).

Note: I have not been active in the community within the recent 2 months. Before that, I was very intensely involved as a tester/reporter in the SuperZaxxon period, and now I had a short glimpse at the Final release. I am somehow disappointed, as the very basic functions charging and wifi suck so badly. Hopefully someone can resolve this my displeasure.

TOUCH SCREEN

Worked ok so far under SuperZaxxon Final.

CHARGING

Charging has been wonky for me in all SuperZaxxon versions (older CC system). It usually charges a couple percent, then charge LED turns off. I disconnect and reconnect the charger (or USB cable to the OTG port) a couple of times until the charge LED stays on again, then it takes in another 15% or so. Repeat a couple of times, and the Pandora might end up fully charged (or not). XFCE battery indicator shows no charging either when the LED is off.

Is there some useful way to debug this?

Although the battery capacity and runtime (SuperZaxxon power saving!) are great, I am very disappointed with the power charging process and the related hardware.

In the SuperZaxxon releases charging became unreliable! The status LED acts unreliable. And charging sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes only to a certain percentage, then stopping, etc, and all this way slower than under kernel 2.6. Very unsatisfying.

POWER SUPPLY BROKEN ALTHOUGH RARELY USED

And then yesterday, I charged the first time under SuperZaxxon Final. The original power supply, which came with the Pandora (I got this one: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001MWZSFW/), made a popping sound, and gone it was! I touched it and it was warmer than a normal charger, but not hot though. I had not used it estimatedly 15-25 times*, and now it's already broken.

Whatever be the reason — may it only be charger of meagre quality, or the charging algorithms of SuperZaxxon Final which may ((in)directly) caused it (?) — it is dissatisfying!

Meanwhile I use the USB charger. At least the LED lights up now.

Regarding monitoring: Conky does not show any charging statistics from USB charging. I guess only for the main charging input. Right?

Must I use an original PSP charger? Or can I use any quality 5V 1A (or more) charger? Have some of these spare at home.

* Power supply usage estimation:

~ 60 weeks of Pandora ownership / (~ 14 hours of battery capacity / 3 hours per week of usage) = ~ 13 charging cycles.

As I had some times of more intensive usage, and worse battery runtime with older OS version, lets double it.

Still, at most 25 times. And then already dead!

WIFI

wifi connection is still flakey at times
I'm not sure, but I thought there was a weakness in the hardware which made wifi poor.
I was referring to initial connection to an access point (when the login wifi message box reappears repeatedly), on hotfix 6 no such issues. i think the hardware wifi issues relate to connection speed and disconnections when downloading large files?

Every download of more than about 20-30 mb (in PNDManager, PNDStore, Milkyhelper) is aborted, as the connection seems to get interrupted. My other LAN clients (mac and windows laptops) have no such issues, the problem is definitely Pandora related. I am not sure whether this is causally related to the upgrade to SuperZaxxon Final, or wether WiFi was already previously bad on my Pandora. My memory is unclear about this.

How can I test for a continuous long lasting uninterrupted internet connection?

(I am not sure wether ping qualifies, as this is not a constant stream but single packets, with pauses inbetween. Or I could wget a large file. But a hint for a serious test with proper log output for debugging is be appreciated.)

WEB BROWSING

Web browsing on the Pandora is A PAIN IN THE ASS to me. Sorry for the harsh words, but I withhold that disappointment for a long time now! All the web browser apps crash after a short time of usage (~ 2-8 minutes). Experienced no good browsing experiences in any of the Pandora OS versions with any of the web browsers, I tested so far. I guess this is because web browsers are among the RAM-hungry apps in the Pandora domain, and RAM is low, and some memory conflicts arise.

Does the zram-feature improve this?

How can I run a memory check on my Pandora to eliminate the possibility of a HW related issue?

Is there a certain boot mode into a memtest?

@porg re web browsing have u tried jumanji?

also i think conky does show usb charging info.

Back