Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

The Booting 3.2 Kernel at shutdown is annoying :p
+1, label should change accordingly.

And another annoyance (not really a bug) concerning the boot/shutdown screen: Below the logo there always appears a vertical line, which lays over the background. Somehow destroys the fine graphic.

I didn't know that command, my Linux knowledge is very limited indeed! Do I need to input this every time?
Create a file in the initialization stuff:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/rc5.d/S98rc.local

And add this in it:

Code:
modprobe ehci-hcd

Save and exit. Now ensure the file can be executed:

Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/S98rc.local

Reboot.

Should work.

Both of my units used to crash around 850-900 MHz at opp 5 with 2.6 Zaxxons.

I just tried 1000 MHz each, and they didn't crash. As i was a bit skeptic, i tested 1300, and the crash occurred so i ensured the OC works.

I suppose that it will crash anyway if i put the cpu under load ?

I though it will be great to ship a non-gles glxgear that uses the cpu to make some tests under the raw OS.

attached is module to use 8192cu chipset usb wifi dongle in experimental kernel. extract to root, sudo rmmod rtl8192cu, then sudo insmod <path to .ko>

all compiling credit goes to Cloudef

Attachments

• 8192cu.tar.gz
    228.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:
When i put the unit in suspend while charging it (i don't know if the charging is related), it sometimes goes on by itself.

It happened three times under latest SZb3.

Isn't there a way to use bash job control before and after a suspend ?
How's that supposed to help with time jump problem?
Dunno, was a blind idea ^^. I never used any form of suspend, even on laptops so it's all new here for me.

I suppose this is a problem encountered on other platforms ? If yes maybe there's some tricks other ppl found ? (blind idea, again)
I know that on PSP, the game is responsible for cleaning stuff up, stopping audio, etc. on suspend. I remember having to add special code when I did PicoDrive PSP port, Sony simply put all responsibility on the developer, they probably don't approve the game for release until it suspends properly.

Meanwhile in PC world (including Windows) I think simply nobody cares. Suspend has been problematic on PC for ages, I remember reading Linus rants on how he is annoyed about his laptop suspend breaking on almost every new Linux kernel release.

I didn't know that command, my Linux knowledge is very limited indeed! Do I need to input this every time?

Code:

And add this in it:

Code:
modprobe ehci-hcd

Code:

Reboot.

Should work.
You will break powersaving if you do this.

What do you get if you enter

arecord -L

I've got only

null

Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
same here, use arecord -l

attached is module to use 8192cu chipset usb wifi dongle in experimental kernel. extract to root, sudo rmmod rtl8192cu, then sudo insmod <path to .ko>
Why is this needed, what's wrong with already included one?

Code:

And add this in it:

Code:
modprobe ehci-hcd

Code:

Reboot.

Should work.
In which way ? I mean it will just consume a bit more current or something more ?

Why is this needed, what's wrong with already included one?

Da|Mummy seemed to have problems with his usb wifi not working. This might be a confusion for not modprobin ehci-hcd.

The above driver is the one from manufacter itself. I'm quite confused myself too at the moment.

I found out about the included driver after compiling that one.

Maybe he can glarify more.

Code:

And add this in it:

Code:
modprobe ehci-hcd

Code:

Reboot.

Should work.
In which way ? I mean it will just consume a bit more current or something more ?
Use around 3x more power when idle, fail to suspend properly. Usual OMAP driver breakage, OMAP EHCI is poorly maintained in mainline. At least you can rmmod the damned thing and everything's back to normal.

What about rmmod'ing ehci-hcd and all modules depending on this, in the suspend script ?

I've tried reflashing the firmware on my Pandora, but I still get the bug with power saving, that when I resume from it, my left nib stops working. I've tried resetting the nubs through the configuration, but it doesnt work. Even when I reboot, the nubs don't work properly again unless I boot into the older kernel. I've also spotted graphical glitches using Picodrive on the new kernel which aren't present if using the older one(try running the Pal version of Sensible Soccer for easy evidence of this?)

Oh, I also didn't get to add that USB startup file yet, sounds like I should hold off on it for the time being? Will this USB hub issue be fixable in the next beta?

What about rmmod'ing ehci-hcd and all modules depending on this, in the suspend script ?
Should be already done, unless it's broken.

I've tried reflashing the firmware on my Pandora, but I still get the bug with power saving, that when I resume from it, my left nib stops working. I've tried resetting the nubs through the configuration, but it doesnt work. Even when I reboot, the nubs don't work properly again unless I boot into the older kernel.
Doesn't happen for me, no idea.

I've also spotted graphical glitches using Picodrive on the new kernel which aren't present if using the older one(try running the Pal version of Sensible Soccer for easy evidence of this?)
It's PicoDrive bug, works on old kernel because of luck.

Oh, I also didn't get to add that USB startup file yet, sounds like I should hold off on it for the time being? Will this USB hub issue be fixable in the next beta?
What hub issue?

• reboot holding the R button and select to boot into CLI
  • login with your useraccount

Strange... : In CLI mode (of kernel 3.2) my login credentials do not work! (Tried multiple boots and multiple logins)

Rebooted to MiniMenu, started Terminal, tested my username + password there, worked without any problems.

FYI: My username consists of 2 lowercase letters, password of lower case letters and numbers.

If I cannot get my login to work in CLI mode (why?), is it ok to start in GUI mode and switch to console via alt-ctrl-F1 and do it there?

I guess not as the GUI is still running in parallel...

Maybe log out from GUI, switch to console via alt-ctrl-F1, then try it. Then no user related stuff should be open (and endangered).

Other ideas?

Bug report: If the user boots in CLI mode, no numbers can be typed on the keyboard!

Thus a username or password with numbers cannot be entered!

It seems there is a whole different keyboard layout at work in this mode.

Also the modifier keys Shift and Fn partially produce other characters than usual.

Only found out by accidentally typing my password into the username field, where I realized the bug!

That's probably it, in much more arcane technological talk than I can manage! ;)

(null)

all compiling credit goes to Cloudef

Thanks DaMummy and Cloudef, got this working. I didn't have to do rmmod, just extracted to my sd, inserted in my Pandora, open a command prompt then enter:

cd <SD path>

sudo cp -r 8192cu /

sudo modprobe 8192cu

sudo modprobe ehci-hcd

Now for some new-kernel battery life testing with unleashed wifi! :D

Doing this, you loaded the shipped module, not the one you extracted.

You just had to do modprobe ehci-hcd, because it works out of the box.

Back